• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Race car - where to start with prep?

turboman808

Reaction score
Yeah if your just looking to test the waters then rallycross and autox are great places to start. Go have fun and learn as much as you can from others.

I prefer NASA to SCCA events. If you can find BMW or PCA events in your area they are good as well.

For short events like autox and rally you need to focus more on driver, tires and suspension. Your not gonna see much if any gains by playing with the motor. Just gonna bump you up a class.

When I first started in autox I was using a turbo honda civic. 350whp. I really sucked. I had a toyota celica at the time for daily use. 100hp on a good day with a automatic transmission. Went back and learned to drive the toyota celica first. Once I was fast in the celica I then went back to the civic but turned the boost down to maybe 225whp and by the years end I was winning SCCA SM class.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Actually if I wanted to build a road race car my remaining 510 might be a better starting point... all the parts are cheaper and the car is much lighter to begin with, so it could conceivably compete pretty well in a modified class. Only problem would be the relative unavailability of body panels and some suspension parts.

If you want a car for road racing, I would seriously consider a Porsche 944. They can be bought for a reasonable price, they handle well, and there is a very active spec 944 class.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always loved that model line BMW...not racing related quite so much but:

How much would it cost to buy and maintain an 80's 3 series as a daily driver (more like errands/weekend fun since I bike/train to work)? I'm comfortable learning/doing most of the work it would need and I would like to add a few preformance parts in the handling area if it needs it (and maybe intake/exhaust but probably nothing else on the engine side). Maybe try casual autox with the same car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads