• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

immortaltek

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Received today. Gresham boots

ltjaw

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me which C&J last most closely resembles the Alden Barrie last? I'm looking at their chukkas at the moment. 325?

Beach Bum

Reaction score

ouch ouch....gorgeous ! what is the model ? Coniston ?

Yep, but made for purdey in the recent sale they had going on, that I was lucky enough to hear about from here.

I have a few pics in this thread from five days ago finally wearing them out. I couldn't be happier less one minor issue, the right boot tongue slides left a bit, left one is fine. I'm hoping after a few more wears it'll even out.

Galactic Soap

Reaction score
Gentlemen - a quick question, I own a UK8E pair of Skye 2's in the 335 last and am looking at a pair of RL Marlows in US8.5D which I understand is the 325 last. Will I be purchasing a similar fit in the Marlows at US8.5 as I am with the Skye's in UK8E?

Thanks for your advice.

GS

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen - a quick question, I own a UK8E pair of Skye 2's in the 335 last and am looking at a pair of RL Marlows in US8.5D which I understand is the 325 last. Will I be purchasing a similar fit in the Marlows at US8.5 as I am with the Skye's in UK8E?

Thanks for your advice.

GS
I'm not sure how the 335 fits, but my UK8E Onslow (325 last) in shell is roomier than my US 8.5D Marlow Wingtips in shell.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your advice.

GS

Those were both a bit too small for me. It's probably your best best in the 325.

335 fit short for me, I find it shorter than the other c&J lasts.

Last edited:

Technica

Reaction score
Dear all,

First of all thanks for those who helped me choose between the Coniston and the Northcote!

I have recently purchased the dark Brown Northcotes from C&J, just last saturday.

However, I noticed that the front part of the sole is starting to come off and revealing white stuff underneath?! Please see photos.

Is this normal or faulty?!

Its rather disappointing that a pair of £430 boots are like this after only a few days...would I qualify a refund? (shoes have been worn only twice).

Hello everyone just an update on this situation I had posted about before on my problematic new Northcote boots.

I have now received the boots back from factory repairs and the front part of the sole seems to have been glued on properly, but they can STILL be separated with moderate amount of force if I want to - and this is not just limited to the front part of the shoes but also on the SIDES on BOTH shoes. i.e. the rubber sole seems to come off the mid sole on all sides for both shoes.

I also own a pair of Monktons (over 2 years old now) and Camberleys (2 months) - neither of which have this problem (they dont separate no matter how hard I try to).

I am at a loss at what to do now. Very disappointed in the quality of these Northcotes, not what I expected from C&J.

Do I send it back to the factory AGAIN? Or am I sweating small details that doesnt matter much? I would like to ask for a refund but the manager of the store says he cant do that as I have worn them and that this can happen to all shoes as you wear them?!! But never happened to my Monktons nor the Camberleys!

Your thoughts? Was I just unlucky to get bad quality lemons?

Last edited:

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Send them back and ask for refund. If denied then formally dispute the charge with your credit card company. That should do the trick.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant see very well how bad the issue seems to be. The lack of glue at that area has no importance. I understand that with some wear the outsole will press the midsole and it wont open.

Check mines with some years of moderate use.

Hope it helps

Galactic Soap

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the 335 fits, but my UK8E Onslow (325 last) in shell is roomier than my US 8.5D Marlow Wingtips in shell.

Excellent, thank you - that helps a lot! Based on your experience did you regret purchasing the Marlow Wingtips in US8.5D i.e. would you have preferred a US9D fit?

Those were both a bit too small for me. It's probably your best best in the 325.

335 fit short for me, I find it shorter than the other c&J lasts.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Could I clarify, is the suggestion here that the 325 is longer than the 335 (despite both being short), and therefore if the 335 fits well in UK8E (and it does) then a US8.5D should work given then slightly longer length?

Much appreciated again gents. Based in sunny Sydney, there's only a handful of brick and mortar stores I can purchase from an no one stocks the gorgeous marlow wingtips in cigar shell for me to try on! :)

Sincerely,
GS

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent, thank you - that helps a lot! Based on your experience did you regret purchasing the Marlow Wingtips in US8.5D i.e. would you have preferred a US9D fit?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Could I clarify, is the suggestion here that the 325 is longer than the 335 (despite both being short), and therefore if the 335 fits well in UK8E (and it does) then a US8.5D should work given then slightly longer length?

Much appreciated again gents. Based in sunny Sydney, there's only a handful of brick and mortar stores I can purchase from an no one stocks the gorgeous marlow wingtips in cigar shell for me to try on! :)

Sincerely,
GS

I last tried on the Marlow 8.5D US a long time ago, so I can't give specifics. I just recall it being a bit too snug for me, similar to how the 8E Skye 2 was too short.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads