• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

ltjaw

Reaction score
Both boots are nice but I prefer the Galway
Just get the Galway now if you can afford it otherwise you will buy the Coniston and then get the Galway boots later anyway! LOL

Thanks for the advice. I think this is what I will do.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a product to make these C&J Pembrokes a little more water resistant?

They are made from tan scotch grain leather and any little spots of water seem to imediately soak in to the leather and create a dark spot until it dries. Is there a product from the Saphir range that will add some water resistance without excessive darkening?

What about Saphir Huile Protectrice HP Leather Oil Spray, or Saphir Invulner Stain and Waterproofing Spray?

The shoes already have a layer of Saphir cream polish all over and wax on the caps/heels.

ADub

Reaction score

Thanks for this advice. I find it especially helpful to hear the opinion of someone who has owned both the Coniston and Galway. 

I don't own either but I do own the Tetbury and have tried both the Coniston and Galway. As others have said the Coniston is heavier and built to handle tough weather with the pebbled grain leather and storm welt. If it's generally mild where you live and budget allows I'd definitely get the Galway; it's my favourite boots ATM.

Coniston:

Galway:

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recomend a product to make these C&J Pembrokes a little more water resistant? They are made from tan scotch grain leather and any little spots of water seem to imediately soak in to the leather and create a dark spot until it dries. Is there a product from the Saphir range that will add some water resistance without excessive darkening? What about Saphir Huile Protectrice HP Leather Oil Spray, or Saphir Invulner Stain and Waterproofing Spray? The shoes already have a layer of Saphir cream polish all over and wax on the caps/heels.
This product is brilliant for your shoes, once sprayed on and left to dry, water (and most other liquids) just beads and runs off http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/tarrago

globobock

Reaction score
Thanks. After spending a night trying to polish neglected, battered down Skyes fresh from eBay with Kiwi lotion and Burgol Wax I'm pondering my options between leather fat or getting some spray.

Reaction score
I think mine looks worse than it actually is due to the close-up photo, although I agree this doesn't seem to be an ideal last for me. I may keep anyway bec the slippage is minimal and I'm hoping as my foot settles into the footbed the gap will diminish a bit (as per @coolarrow's suggestion...

@mosy Tongue pads will help fill some of that space. Any cobbler should carry them.

Last edited:

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Thanks. After spending a night trying to polish neglected, battered down Skyes fresh from eBay with Kiwi lotion and Burgol Wax I'm pondering my options between leather fat or getting some spray.

I like those boots! Some shoe trees and a mild shine from some cream polish and they will be good to go!

globobock

Reaction score

After I let them dry overnight to fully adsorb the lotion and wax, some hearty polishing actually brought out a decent shine!

Now another 1-2 nights with shoe trees, and they are ready for the first walk.

In the meanwhile I can continue to ponder between Tierowa leather cream (fat) or getting some spray for impregnation.

Or I just leave it like that.

I'm happy though!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quick update on my recent Purdey Islay purchase w/ the 325 last for Purdey instead of the traditional 365 for CJ Islay's:

I have to say that, from a stylistic and construction standpoint, I am in love with them and can't find fault. However, I ordered a UK9.5 and am going to exchange them for a 9UK. If it helps anyone in the future, I'm a US10.5+ - like a 10.6 in my left foot and a 10.7 in my right; my right pinky toe gets crushed in narrow lasts. I found these 9.5s just a touch wide in the foot width, fine in the toebox, and a little big in the heel. if I was only ever going to wear real thick socks, they would probably work out but I'm not expecting to be in rugged cold anytime so it's more mid or even light socks at best.

Here's my other last info that might be useful for someone to compare to in the future:

CJ 358 Brunswick UK 9 1/2 E - perfect
Alden Plaza Last US10.5 B/D - great.
Carmina Simpson UK10 - snug but good.
CJ 240 (Peal boot) 10.5D - a touch big but OK
CJ 325 (Lindricks + Marlows Wingtip and Penny) 10.5D - a touch big but OK
CJ 348 (Ludlow boot) US10.5D - the right foot was about 1/4 too small, but stretched OK.

Hope that helps! I'll post an update when I get my UK9s...

Quick update for anyone following along:

Unfortunately, Purdey informed me that they do not have a 9 to exchange it with and are issuing me a refund instead. So, having tasted the fruit, I am back to pining for a deal on pair of Islays again. Maybe it just isn't meant to be for me....

:brick:

With that said, congrats to all you buggers who managed to get the right size on the first go 'round - I'm jealous!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads