• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

CrackedCrab

Reaction score
Nice collection zapasman

CJ for black fleece chunky monkeys
These were a great deal at 349 and free shoprunner shipping
I got them in navy suede as well

jssdc

Reaction score
.... Edgeware is a style by Crockett and Jones... Not a brand..?

They haven't doubled in price.

They certainly haven't, although they're pushing themselves out of good value range for me. I think the only English maker that's come close to doubling is G&G, but as a new maker I imagine that's aligned with a strategy of operating at an early loss to build a footprint, and then leverage brand equity to boost prices later on.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Seems to be the Galway boots. In cordovan.
Hmm really? That doesn't look like cordovan to me. It looks like scotch grain calf or something? Like the leather looks too wrinkled near the vamp to be cordovan rolls. Am I wrong there?

Is the Galway a C&J model also? Or are you referring to an EG Galway?

adebisi

Reaction score

Hmm really? That doesn't look like cordovan to me. It looks like scotch grain calf or something? Like the leather looks too wrinkled near the vamp to be cordovan rolls. Am I wrong there?

Is the Galway a C&J model also? Or are you referring to an EG Galway?

I'm talking about the original one WHICH is in cordovan.
This is indeed not the case for this pair.

aldenfan

Reaction score
I'm talking about the original one WHICH is in cordovan.
This is indeed not the case for this pair.
Ah thanks, that makes sense. I'm relatively new in my understanding of quality shoe/leather so it is still a learning process in identifying things. I think this new boot is going to be really awesome :)

aldenfan

Reaction score
Yes, I have confirmed that it is indeed the new Galway model which will be available around Sept/Oct. Perhaps this will fill the gap left by the discontinuation of the RL Gianni. Thanks.
FYI, I'm not sure if you're on it or not, but there is a GMTO for a C&J boot that is basically the RL Gianni going on currently. Just wanted to throw that out there, as I know they are looking to fill the last few spots.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes thanks I do know that they are Cleverley and expected that they are by CJ as I have other Cleverleys which certainly are - but what I am saying is having got them in the flesh I am not sure that they are actually by CJ.

Ahh ok - is the insole embossed with a size and width number (4/5/6) below it (in the arch area)? that might be another clue.

Cleverley doesn't like disclosing who makes its rtw shoes (as several past threads might attest), so I imagine it'll be hard to find out by emailing them

Last edited:

labravajazz

Reaction score
No, I can't see the numbers there inside - that's one reason I didn't think they seemed like CJ made as seems to be the usual case for rtw Cleverleys.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Focused PSA.

Mr Start (in store in London, UK), which I am strangely on the mailing list for is selling Conistons in brown and black for GBP 215 and GBP 210, respectively.

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/p...1.amazonaws.com/mrstart/SUITED+AND+BOOTED.jpg

I missed this sale by a week. I was staying just up the street from this shop too. Well, if anyone in London would like to proxy me a pair (7.5E, tan colour), please PM me. I've been wanting to replace a pair of 7E that were too small.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I can't see the numbers there inside - that's one reason I didn't think they seemed like CJ made as seems to be the usual case for rtw Cleverleys.

in that case based on the details/last shape etc my guess would be Alfred Sargent, perhaps some version of the AS Cambridge http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...asc/products/alfred-sargent-country-cambridge

AS also does windows in the lining, but typically has more info in them than the "11E" on the kingsman boot

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my Mr Porter Kingsman boots, love them but not sure that they are CJ?
I never had Conistons etc but they fit firmer than any CJ 11E I ever had in fact I usually take 10.5 UK in CJ so lucky I went for 11
Anyone who knows their Conistons etc will probably be able to clarify but I never saw a CJ with size in a window a la EG?

in that case based on the details/last shape etc my guess would be Alfred Sargent, perhaps some version of the AS Cambridge http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...asc/products/alfred-sargent-country-cambridge

AS also does windows in the lining, but typically has more info in them than the "11E" on the kingsman boot

+1

Never seen a C&J shoes with a size window.
Considering that the black Kingsman oxfords are AS and identical to AS exclusive in every details, these boots are almost certainly AS, a modified cambridge/ culford boot (the stitching pattern of the facings are identical and different from Coniston)

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today just a damped cloth and some brushing. Love the thickness, the softness and the creasing of this leather. Develops a beautiful natural patina over the years.

scrolls

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been discussed but a quick search failed: what is the general consensus on going from the 348 last (Tetbury) to 238 (Chelsea 3)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads