• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the buyer at Barney's ordered them to be made in UK D width, not knowing that E is standard?

The facings touch or come close to touching on a lot of C&J shoes (ie Marlows). I'm convinced it's intentional and part of the styling because if you look at the product shots, they are all touching.

@rc121 / @hbarradah , if you look at inside bottom of the shoe, you should see the shoe size and width stamped. 5 = E width.

I tend to agree that C&J designs their shoes/boots this way. All my C&J boots have facings that come close to touching. My boots from other makers are not like that at all.

68Bullitt

Reaction score
I went to one of the Crockett and Jones store and apparently the Snowdon is not bellow tongued any more but when did this happen? I seem to remember it being bellowed a while ago... If its a recent thing then what's the odds of it being bellowed again?

I don't recall the stock Snowdon being made with a full bellow tongue. However, there were a handful of us a few months back that tried to get a group MTO for the Snowdown with that feature and a few additional changes. Since we couldn't get enough interested parties, I tried to just do a single MTO, but was informed that they wouldn't make the below. Apparently our request had to be run by the factory for approval. I may try and get that group MTO together again near the end of the summer if you would be interested.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the stock Snowdon being made with a full bellow tongue. However, there were a handful of us a few months back that tried to get a group MTO for the Snowdown with that feature and a few additional changes. Since we couldn't get enough interested parties, I tried to just do a single MTO, but was informed that they wouldn't make the below. Apparently our request had to be run by the factory for approval. I may try and get that group MTO together again near the end of the summer if you would be interested.

I had always assumed Snowdens had bellows tongues since they've got Veldtschoen construction so it would make sense. So I just checked the C&J site and sure enough, the verbiage does indicate a bellows tongue. So go figure...

kaizo

Reaction score

Damn I missed the train by the looks of it...

The lady at c and j told me of a similar story with the split toe cordovan boots. The factory basically said no presumably because the cordovan will buckle near the seams.

The Shackleton challenge version had a full bellow but I didn't check the boot today to see if it was a partial bellow or no bellow... I should have.

Thanks for the reply :)

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Pembroke on the 325. Great shoe.

Thanks Patrick R. Any idea whether one would typically go a full size up from UK size on 325 for the BB size? I.e. 10.5UK = 11.5US?

I have three pairs of shoes and one pair of boots on the 325. I go ½ size down from my Brannock measurement. I measure an 11.5D US and I take an 11D US in the 325.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had always assumed Snowdens had bellows tongues since they've got Veldtschoen construction so it would make sense.  So I just checked the C&J site and sure enough, the verbiage does indicate a bellows tongue.  So go figure...

For some reason I thought it had a half bellow tongue. Not sure why I'm thinking that, but it's probably because I heard it here at some point.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told June 20 will be the start of the summer sale at the NY location.

And... I'm in NYC 6/12 - 6 /17
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads