• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cheers mate!

I think the pair I have is about 310 mm or so (8UK). I suspect that's within range for normal. It is an elongated last isn't it?

IMHO I wouldn't necessarily label it a longer last, I may be wrong...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that you found your 348s were shorter than the equivalent sized Barney's 348?

^^^ This. I had a Barney's Tetbury on one foot, a UK sized Westbourne on the other, and stood with my back and heels against the wall. The US9.5D Tetbury was both longer and more narrow than my UK9E Westbourne. Something was definitely off with Barney's size conversion, or I was just unlucky and experienced it with 2 different pairs.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMHO I wouldn't necessarily label it a longer last, I may be wrong...

Could be just me!
^^^ This. I had a Barney's Tetbury on one foot, a UK sized Westbourne on the other, and stood with my back and heels against the wall. The US9.5D Tetbury was both longer and more narrow than my UK9E Westbourne. Something was definitely off with Barney's size conversion, or I was just unlucky and experienced it with 2 different pairs.

Thanks Fred...good to know. Wonder if anyone else has had the same issue.

It could be that my 9Ds are a touch long, but not obscenely long cf to Cleav's 7.5UK. Should be around 0.5cm increase per half step in size, I think.

With Highbury's and Tetbury's, I think a longer pant cuff opening is really more ideal, given the long unbroken expanse of the toe. But curious how owners of those two models or say the Monkton (say) wear theirs (pics please!).

IGotId

Reaction score
I had a half hour to kill in midtown yesterday, so I popped into Paul Stuart. It's not on their site, but I wanted to mention they had several C&Js on sale, including the Severn boot that Barney's and Sky Valet carry:
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...t-Show?pid=503639720&cgid=mens-shoes&index=30
https://skyvaletshoes.com/product/crockett-jones-severn-boot-dark-brown-burnished-calf/

There were several different styles of it including brown suede and navy suede and I think they were all marked down to $378 IIRC. Pretty good price so if you have any interest it in, give the store a call.

Fred, do you recall if they had brown calf? Does PS also call the boot the same name? (Severn)

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fred, do you recall if they had brown calf? Does PS also call the boot the same name? (Severn) 

Sorry, I don't remember if they had calf (definitely had navy and brown suede), or what they called it. The guys in the shoe dept there are fairly knowledgeable though.. Give 'em a call and ask. I'm sure if you described the boot and maker they would know what you were talking about.

IGotId

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't remember if they had calf (definitely had navy and brown suede), or what they called it. The guys in the shoe dept there are fairly knowledgeable though.. Give 'em a call and ask. I'm sure if you described the boot and maker they would know what you were talking about.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, this is interesting. Is it possible that the Tetbury's are actually UK9.5D even though the boxes indicate that they are US sized?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, this is interesting. Is it possible that the Tetbury's are actually UK9.5D even though the boxes indicate that they are US sized?

That was a definite possibility. I had the 10D and 9.5D and sent them both back. I have the Barney's Wicklow, Malton, and until recently the Clifford, and they seemed sized US -1 = UK. The Barney's Tetbury was just really oddly sized, especially since I have the Lowndes, Westbourne, and Hallam all in UK9E on that last to compare the fit to.

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was a definite possibility. I had the 10D and 9.5D and sent them both back. I have the Barney's Wicklow, Malton, and until recently the Clifford, and they seemed sized US -1 = UK. The Barney's Tetbury was just really oddly sized, especially since I have the Lowndes, Westbourne, and Hallam all in UK9E on that last to compare the fit to.

Well, I wonder if C&J when making shoes for US retailers (and knowing that D width is standard in the US) just uses the UK D width and calls it a US size (so, for example the UK9.5D becomes Barneys US9.5D).

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I wonder if C&J when making shoes for US retailers (and knowing that D width is standard in the US) just uses the UK D width and calls it a US size (so, for example the UK9.5D becomes Barneys US9.5D).

I don't know how C&J does it for sure, but that's certainly not the way EG does it. EG's standard size is a E UK which is closer to the American size D, but they also sell a D UK which is a bit narrower than the American size D. Axels in Colorado typically sells their EGs in the D UK width. As far as I know all other American retailers typically sell their EG's in the E UK width.

I very much doubt that C&J does it any differently. Because their standard width is the one that they predicted would fit the most people. Their UK D width if they made one would also make sense that it would be a bit narrower than the typical American D as well.

Of course their are no really standard width sizes per say, these are all determined based on what size a shoemakers Last happens to be. However there is an expectation that a D is the typical American width.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was boot polishing day!

Reaction score
Today was boot polishing day!

Beautiful. Which style are those? Looks similar to the Coniston w/o captoe. Do they have Dainite studded or Commando soles?
That is pretty much what I am looking for in a winter boot, like a combination of my Derwent boots and grain Brecon chukkas (shown with my tan grain Pembroke brogues; all w/Dainite soles). So, this has been my C&J line-up for this fall/winter, and has served me well. The slushy Jan/Feb here in NYC has made me think my next boot will be one with a Commando or Ridgeway sole. The Snowden has been growing on me, so maybe for next winter.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful. Which style are those? Looks similar to the Coniston w/o captoe. Do they have Dainite studded or Commando soles? That is pretty much what I am looking for in a winter boot, like a combination of my Derwent boots and grain Brecon chukkas (shown with my tan grain Pembroke brogues; all w/Dainite soles). So, this has been my C&J line-up for this fall/winter, and has served me well. The slushy Jan/Feb here in NYC has made me think my next boot will be one with a Commando or Ridgeway sole. The Snowden has been growing on me, so maybe for next winter.
These are the Lancaster boots made for Holland &Holland with the ridgeway sole . The boots are similar to the C&J Chepstow but slightly higher with speed hooks at the top. The boots are made on the 325 last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads