• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Ypuh

Reaction score
@bemk nice comparison. Another vote for the light hazelnut!

I use neutral only for shoes with museum-calf, painted patinas or with differently colored stitching compared to the color of the calf-leather.
Agreed. And natural welts and odd leather types possibly (e.g. oiled leather)?

Menninki

Reaction score
As promised:

Pembroke treated with 'Boot Black Neutral 005 cream'
vs.
Pembroke treated with 'Saphir Crème 1925 Light Hazelnut 917'

I have 2 pairs of the Tan Scotch Grain.
So hold on, have you not consider or tried using the Tan(03) shoe cream for Tan SG? I was supposing that to be the "default" cream for tan and I was planning to use it, but I would very curious to know other suggestions.

bemk

Reaction score
Hazelnut looks much better!

@bemk nice comparison. Another vote for the light hazelnut!

Thank you, guys! 🍻

Helps a bit. I wasn't necessarily disappointed with the Light Hazelnut, but a bit disenchanted with the result compared to my expectation.

Firstly, great comparative photography and write up man. The belts really are a great addition.

Thx, mate! Yeah, I love these and one of them is the regular offered one with the antique brass buckle, of which I'm not really a fan and the other is MTOed with the silver buckle ... because I'm a fan. 😉

You can see the difference in the result of both. But its a very subtle difference. The light hazelnut gives it uniformity. The neutral retains the natural shades or contrasts of the leather that have developed across different sections of the shoe.

Perfect description!

Light hazelnut comes closest to the natural colour of the tan scotch grain. So a safe bet it seems for those who want to apply a "matching" colour creme. I like the result of it.

I do not agree here. The Hazelnut has a hue that is different from the light but somewhat earthy brown, which reminds me of the shell of peanuts or walnuts.
Had I known before that the Light Hazelnut turns out that bright, I would have used 'Saphir 037 Medium Brown' ... hoping that it would also give a brighter brown than the cream itself suggests. You never know until you tried.™

But I'm encouraged after seeing your production here that neutral creme/polish is the way to go for me on my pembroke.

Later today I will finish the other copies and want to look, how much I appreciate the Halzelnut Pembroke, when I can wear them.

But right now I feel, that when these will have bleached after next summer, that I will either check that Medium Brown 037 or just stay with the neutral cream. Looking at the results, this is my clear preference, because of that aforementioned earthy light brown and the character of the natural tone that it preserves. 🍻

I could still check the 037 in spring instead ... I have 2 pairs of the Tan Coniston. 😄

Great post! Thanks taking the time to put it together. Makes me intrigued to see how my Tan SG shoes/boots would look like side by side. My Islay are brand new, but the other two have a lot of history in the leather…

Once again, thanks for putting together the comparison! 👍

Thank you, glad you liked it! 👊

I had to dim the exposure / brightness of the light a bit for the pictures in the comparison, so that the difference in colour is more obvious as the light in the forenoon was not perfect.

Here's a shot done later in warmer sun and overall a bit brighter. Neutral to the left, Light Hazelnut to the right:

240929_0300_Pembroke_creme-comparison.jpg

Closer:

240929_0300_Pembroke_creme-comparison_closer.jpg

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
So hold on, have you not consider or tried using the Tan(03) shoe cream for Tan SG? I was supposing that to be the "default" cream for tan and I was planning to use it, but I would very curious to know other suggestions.

Well, typically the "default" cream according to C&Js is Saphir '010 Cognac', at least many here have reported that C&J did recommend or sell it to them for the Tan SG and in the store in Brussels they also picked that Cognac, when I asked them for the matching cream.
But I don't like the reddish tone and don't really get that as a match.

I also have the Saphir '03 Light Brown' ( https://www.saphirmedailledorshop.c...r-pommadier-shoe-cream?variant=45347157606690 ) here. And I agree, that it looks like a pretty perfect match, but it looks quite brighter than the Tan SG, so I didn't use it.
Probably I will give one of my Tan SG Conistons a session with that cream, but not before winter arrives.

Last edited:

Marmite89

Reaction score
I switch between using the 03 Light Brown and 37 Med. Brown on my Tan SG Pembroke and Coniston’s. They’ve been my default Saphir colours for as long as I’ve owned them.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Well, typically the "default" cream according to C&Js is Saphir '010 Cognac', at least many here have reported that C&J did recommend or sell it to them for the Tan SG and in the store in Brussels they also picked that Cognac, when I asked them for the matching cream.
But I don't like the reddish tone and don't really get that as a match.

I also have the Saphir '03 Light Brown' ( https://www.saphirmedailledorshop.c...r-pommadier-shoe-cream?variant=45347157606690 ) here. And I agree, that it looks like a pretty perfect match, but it looks quite brighter than the Tan SG, so I didn't use it.
Probably I will give one of my Tan SG Conistons a session with that cream, but not before winter arrives.
Correctdumundo. C&J's official advice for the tan scotch grain is 'Light Brown 03' creme and 'Cognac 10' for the wax

Menninki

Reaction score
Interesting to learn that there is lots of variety what people choose for their tan SG care. I thought everyone simply uses Tan(03) cream for Tan SG. :) I'll see what I end up choosing.

Last edited:

T1mb0

Reaction score
Great pics Bemk, thanks for sharing 👍.
Enjoyed the comparison as a fellow Pembroke owner who has experimented a little with different colour cremes.

Both look nice but my preference from the photos would also be the neutral. It looks closest to the original TSG and also as if it would match better with navy trousers/denim (if that matters to you, appreciate may just be my personal taste).

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Correctdumundo. C&J's official advice for the tan scotch grain is 'Light Brown 03' creme and 'Cognac 10' for the wax

If memory serves me right, the store gave me the wax in Cognac, but I wanted cream and then they picked the Cognac cream, but I would not want to swear an oath on it.

I switch between using the 03 Light Brown and 37 Med. Brown on my Tan SG Pembroke and Coniston’s. They’ve been my default Saphir colours for as long as I’ve owned them.
Same approach for me too 👍

Knowing that brighter creams do not brighten up leather as much as darker ones darken it, I just treated one of my Tan SG Conistons from the more faded pair with the 03 Light Brown.

It doesn't hurt, I have worn this pair last autumn and this spring and haven't treat it so far. I'll brush it tomorrow and have a happy anticipation right now.

Great pics Bemk, thanks for sharing 👍.
Enjoyed the comparison as a fellow Pembroke owner who has experimented a little with different colour cremes.

Both look nice but my preference from the photos would also be the neutral. It looks closest to the original TSG and also as if it would match better with navy trousers/denim (if that matters to you, appreciate may just be my personal taste).

Thank you very much! 🌞

I only wear blue / navy trousers very seldom and never Denim, but I totally love the natural, original Tan SG with any other of the colours.
Unless the experiment with the 03 mentioned above wows me, I will surely stay neutral for a long, long time.

Interesting to learn that there is lots of variety what people choose for their tan SG care. I thought everyone simply uses Tan(03) cream for Tan SG. :) I'll see what I end up choosing.

If I find the time, I'll do pictures of that, see above.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love my islays, the speed hooks frustrate me. Firstly, I think 5 is too many but my main issue is that my laces pop out of the top ones. I tie them tight and double knot but it still happens. Any tips?
Hello, I do this: press the hooks (with my fingers) allowing enough space to let the laces be undone.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try going twice around a speed hook. So when you are crossing the laces and going for the next speed hook upwards go downwards instead and around the same speed hook. Then cross and go up again. If you do this on the last hook the knot will be slightly lower.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe give it a try.

I have also an issue with the Islay that I have now used the first day. It is really high and I noticed that I had difficulty walking down the stairs. They felt really stiff. Will this get better as the boots break in or am I tying it too tight?

Hello, I had the same break in issue. I just used them in-house three days. It worked for me.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need advice with last for my next C&J boots. I actually have CH11 in 335 last in size 9E. I need wear thick sock with them otherwise they are little roomier in forepart, but width is fine. Only one disadvantage is longer toe. I often trip with my toe on bumps in the sidewalk, so I'm looking for something shorter for my next shoes with similar fit. What do you think about 228, 325, 365 or 375? Is there any difference in toe length or not?

Hello

I always bump sidewalks, chairs, tables, etc. The issue might not be the length of the shoe, maybe is your gait. I rather using shoes with generous welts, I am sure that those welts have saved my toes.

I hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
li8green