• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

bemk

Reaction score
Have to ask, but what’s your shoe care routine for these? Your heel and edge look almost perfect put you’ve got a great patina on the upper with all sorts of scuffs that look like they’ve been cared for but not with chestnut shoe cream.

So are you using a natural shoe cream to allow the upper to patina, or just a matching wax? And are you touching up the heel and edging every so often?

Because I love how they look.

Well, what you are seeing are 3 different shades of Chestnut and a little bit of Espresso and the story is this:

When I received this pair, the shoes differed in brightness, so much so that I wasn't happy. I suspect that one boot had been displayed. But as the Skye wasn't available anymore, I kept them and first, took off pretty much of the colour with 1st ox-gall soap and 2nd Saphir Renomat and then nourished them with La Lumiere Moist Care which is pretty much the same as Boot Black Rich Moisture and let them dry.

Then in different steps I applied the Boot Black Patina- and recoloring cream in Chestnut and Boot Black Shoe Cream in Chestnut (they are a bit different in their hue). Because these are cremes and not dye, still a bit of the original Chestnut 'base' blends in the final result.
For a bit of a patina / burnished look, which the original boots already had, I used that aforementioned Patina Cream, but in Espresso.

Here's how they looked after having taken off much of the colour and the final result. The good thing is, that they match much, much better than before, but the scuffs you mentioned came pretty soon as the cream is rather sensitive to abrasion.

Boot-Black-Patinacreme-Bootcreme-Chestnut.jpg

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same boat then 🤣
Yes, but we have many friends from the UK on here that might be willing to do you a favor - although you might have to sweeten the pot a little.

There's also this -

and, probably other companies like it.

Style989

Reaction score

Denar78

Reaction score
I like the fair ford. and last 373 is really nice. have you tried them on for fit?
Thanks. I haven’t tried them on, nope. I have different pairs of 363, 337, 348 etc which all fit nicely (I especially like the 363 though)

Style989

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven’t tried them on, nope. I have different pairs of 363, 337, 348 etc which all fit nicely (I especially like the 363 though)
373 is similar to 348 so if 348 fits you well should be good to go. For me 373 fits perfectly. 375 is similar to 325 if you have it?

Style989

Reaction score
Yeah the boot would be different from the loafer but it gives you an idea. If the fit is great go for it. Worst case you send them back

ky16

Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying the festivities in good health!

Just wanted some opinions... looking for a second pair of cordovan boots. I already have a pair of brown Harlech's. What do you think about adding a pair of whiskey cordovan Harlech's? I have a pair of whiskey cordovan Pembroke's (some German outfitter's MTO from many years ago). Non-cordovan stuff wise I have the Islay/Coniston/Galway and Skye 2.

The other option is a pair of used Galway 2s in brown cordovan.

I like the apron on the Galway... but equally dying to try out some Whiskey cords! MTO not an option for me at the moment.

Thank you all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads