• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Just now I see a pair of black Scotch grain Islay boots on the C&J website

They come with an oversized cleated rubber sole from Vibram, anybody has experience with this type of sole? What is the difference with the commando sole (I don't see stitches on the sole)?

As far as I know, the lugged Vibram sole has only been available on the special Black Editions Coniston, but should be used more as you say. I too payed some price during break in, especially my pinkies due to the rather tapered toe, but it slowly resolved. One question for you and others - when I'm wearing them, the boot faces lace right up together at the tops like in your photo. In fact, I really need to overlap them slightly for a snug fit! Yes, this is in part due to my svelte runner's ankles ☺ (no cankles, lol), but wondering if this is normal?

View attachment 1665854

These Islay's essentially look like a new addition to the Black Editions series, that all use the Vibram lugged sole. I posted a photo of my Conistons last week with this sole. It is definitely a softer ride than a traditional Commando sole, but certainly much firmer than a soft wedge. I would still call it a firm, long lasting sole, really the ideal choice for off road use!

Edit - just read the C&J site, they are a Black Edition series.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not sure, looks like the commondo soles on my Radnor and Snowdon are thicker, but will ask C&J and will report here.

Commando, Vibram cleated, Vibram V-lite. The V-light is the softest with the most 'bounce'.

O2AvDsO.jpg

ymXCHvJ.jpg

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Ha! Ws just having this conversation with Calvin, who may chime in too. I am either a 7.5E or 8D in the Trubalance, and although I own a 7.5 in the 325 and it worked out, next time I will go with an 8. There is more room in the toe box on the Alden Trubalance than a 325, according to my dawgs. Both 7.5Es:

View attachment 1666709
I actually decided to take my Barrie size in the 325. i took this picture (along with the help from @caffed) and did 9.5 325 with 9.5E barrie/Trubalance. i can also do 10D in barrie, but prefer 9.5E to compensate for a slightly "firmer" fit.

I'm also on the GMTO for both lindrick and galway. if they fit too big, I've learned to adjust fit with socks.

FWIW:
left foot: 10.5 D/E (9.75 heel to toe),
right food: 111D (9.5 heel to toe).

curse short toes

Last edited:

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Commando, Vibram cleated, Vibram V-lite. The V-light is the softest with the most 'bounce'.

O2AvDsO.jpg

ymXCHvJ.jpg
Thanks a lot for this photo and the information Crat! It looks like only the Snowdon has a stitch through the rubber and the others have a glued sole but that doesn't make sense?

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
These Islay's essentially look like a new addition to the Black Editions series, that all use the Vibram lugged sole. I posted a photo of my Conistons last week with this sole. It is definitely a softer ride than a traditional Commando sole, but certainly much firmer than a soft wedge. I would still call it a firm, long lasting sole, really the ideal choice for off road use!

Edit - just read the C&J site, they are a Black Edition series.

Thanks Roger, I really like this black Scotch Grain with the oversized sole, tempting....

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this photo and the information Crat! It looks like only the Snowdon has a stitch through the rubber and the others have a glued sole but that doesn't make sense?
Sorry mate, as C&J is not an official affiliate of the forum I have been told by forum admin not to post anything that can be deemed commercial. This is a bit of a grey area, so l will no longer actively participate on the forum for the time being.

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Sorry mate, as C&J is not an official affiliate of the forum I have been told by forum admin not to post anything that can be deemed commercial. This is a bit of a grey area, so l will no longer actively participate on the forum for the time being.

Very sorry to hear that Crat, in my opinion your posts was not commercial at all. Thanks again for you help!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's kind of bullshit. Posting different sole configurations, it's not like any of it was for sale...

florent

Reaction score
Cemented rubber outsole on a stitched midsole (leather, leatherboard or rubber) is a common construction

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads