• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick note to e-bay sellers

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Also, if you're going to sell something on Craigslist, don't say that your asking price is "firm." That's not how it works. You're an idiot if you do this.

shademore

Reaction score
^^ Point taken. There is wealth of product out there, both good and bad, and every seller has a different idea of what is an acceptable profit (or loss). That said, selling profitably on the internet is no different than any other business venture, you have to do your homework to be competitive.

My experience on the seller side of ebay is that in order to sell effectively at BIN you need to present and price your product so that it is attractive to your customers. (duh). And if you are smart about acquiring your product you can undercut the competition and still have 10-15% cap space to offer as an enticement through sales or "best offer"

Negotiating with a serious customer is always welcome and often as a seller you need to open the dialogue with the Best Offer setting. Most good BIN sellers have at least 15% to play with, but few have the time for the buyers (and there are thousands of them) who think that when a seller enables the "best offer" its means there is blood in water and anything goes.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Indeed, if that was ubiquitously the case, I would just click Buy it Now and think no more on that.

What makes me slightly irritated though is seeing obviously older NWT items (probably picked up dirt cheap on clearance racks in outlets or at consignment stores) with BIN set at 30% off retail price and seller not accepting "reasonable offers". By reasonable, I infer within 20 - 25% off BIN price.

Seems this could all be avoided by sellers upping the asking price 40%. Then they could offer an added 30% off and you'd all be happy.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Seems this could all be avoided by sellers upping the asking price 40%. Then they could offer an added 30% off and you'd all be happy.

Oh yeah that would work on those that live and die on eBay.

Those that purchase direct from Department stores or Yoox etc would never pay more on the Bay.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
As for the $12 item, if you're not willing to knock off $3, don't use best offer. When you use that option, it means you're flexible on price. Being willing to knock 50 cents off a $12 item is not being flexible. $3 is 25%, which falls, to me, within the reasonable range. If you can't get to the point of at least, say, a 15% discount, just list your price and stick with it.

The $12 tie did NOT have a Make-An-Offer option - the guy just e-mailed asking if I'd eat the shipping costs. Happens all the time. I often get the same thing on the SF Sales Forum - a $12 tie and someone will ask if I will accept $10.

Stylego

Reaction score
Until recently, I used BO on nearly all my listings, but I've found that it did not help my eBay sales much. I've taken the option off most of my listings. On some items I lowered the price some (5 to 10%), but on many of my lower priced items I increased the price (10 to 20%). Surprisingly, I've had a notable uptick in sales. It appears that my mean time between sales has improved to what it was before I implemented BO on most of my auctions.

Who knows, maybe it has more to do with people getting refund checks than the BO. I've wondered if the OPTION to offer less just leads people to spend more time "thinking" and "researching" what the best price would be...

As some others have noted, I was getting a lot of lowballs, folks offering 30 to 50% of my asking. I was also getting a lot of buyers emailing me to negotiate a price. I directed them to do so via a formal bid, however, more often than not, they never followed through.

So, for now, I'm done with it.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BIN lets you lock it up immediately, which is nice for some people who are buying gifts and those who otherwise need to make an immediate decision.

veneto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Also, if you're going to sell something on Craigslist, don't say that your asking price is "firm." That's not how it works. You're an idiot if you do this.

No.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I love "best offer" as a buyer. Anytime I find someone that is selling something for $1 yet has shipping at $200 or so, I always make an offer. I offer 90 cents and "free shipping." I do it just to piss them off. I also use it when someone is selling an item for much more than it is worth. It's amazing how often you find an article that the seller has an over inflated opinion of it's value.

I do it mostly for entertainment purposes. I smile every time I push the button after bidding a $1. Yes, I am just wasting the seller's time, I know that, but I am also trying to make a point.

If there is something I really want, I understand the game, and I never go below 15% on an offer. Mostly I stay around 10% or less.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Im with Jeff on this one. I think it is ridiculous to have a BIN of $300, and a seller whom rejected my $240 offer but said he would consider $290. I sent seller back an email telling him in a courteous way he could stick that shirt up where the sun dont shine.

With BNWT stuff, a seller that sells by BIN with an offer possibility should at least entertain a 20% below BIN price.

With second hand stuff, you see a lot of sellers take offers half of BIN - where usually the BIN was grossly inflated.

There are at least 3 rounds of back and forth with the best offer bullshit. The seller is just hedging against a death spiral down to $240. Save the unwarranted commentary and hurt feelings after one counteroffer, just re-offer a lower price. It's not that hard

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay

Huh? There is no problem whatsoever with saying a price is firm on craigslist. I've done it as often as I've said "negotiable", both work fine. When do I use "firm? ummm, when I would rather keep something than go below a certain price.

Originally Posted by apropos
Really don't see the point of BO in conjunction with BIN - really, except for the rare case where your item is exceptionally rare/desireable, do you think anyone will activate the BIN? And if it is exceptionally rare/desireable, what is the point of putting a BO?

Sometimes BINs are just set wrong due to ignorance, and its better than buy than wait for someone else to scoop. For example, there was a pair of RL shell boots a while back for $175 or BO. Are you going to wait around 12 hours negotiating to save $30, while others can view the listing, or just buy it immediately? It works...

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Huh? There is no problem whatsoever with saying a price is firm on craigslist. I've done it as often as I've said "negotiable", both work fine. When do I use "firm? ummm, when I would rather keep something than go below a certain price.

It's not too bright, because don't you just think maybe someone might be willing to pay you MORE than the absolute minimum you'll accept?
If you don't want to go any lower than $100, list it for $130. Then if someone offers you $110, you've made more than you would have had you initially asked your floor, and the other person feels like they're getting bargain. I don't even bother with the clowns that put "Price firm" in their listings. I'd rather pay the same price to someone else who understands how the system works.

Is it really that difficult to understand? It's not a retail store, it's frigging Craigslist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads