• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question Regarding Suit Coats

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The difference is in the pockets.

What? No.

Odd jackets (or "sportcoats"--they are the same) are not necessarily distinguished by their pockets. They can have patch pockets or flap/welted pockets. A blazer is a specific type of odd jacket. Patch pockets are merely more prevalent on odd jackets than suits, as are many other casual design features (double stitching, fewer sleeve buttons, etc.). Many like to style their odd jackets with such features in order to clearly distinguish them from suit jackets and take advantage of the more casual format.

"Odd jackets" and "sportcoats" refer to the same thing. Use whichever term you like.

Ventless jackets are rare these days. Generally, odd jackets will come vented (either with a single or double opening) since they are supposed to be more functional, sporting garments. In contrast, dinner jackets are traditionally done without vents.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a ventless suit jacket as a sport coat. It will look "odd" and not in the desired way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't wear a ventless suit jacket as a sport coat. It will look "odd" and not in the desired way.

Agreed. And preemptively: no, 99% of the time you cannot add vents to a ventless jacket.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. And preemptively: no, 99% of the time you cannot add vents to a ventless jacket.

Yup. lol i love how you knew the next question he was going to ask.

BTW to the OP if you like the jacket wear it, just because it doesn't have vents people with vents in their jackets wont form a circle around you and point and laugh.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup. lol i love how you knew the next question he was going to ask.
BTW to the OP if you like the jacket wear it, just because it doesn't have vents people with vents in their jackets wont form a circle around you and point and laugh.

Are you talking about a vent? if so that is just the style of the jacket you bought, it does not necessarily mean it is cheap or old

Do you know any decent brands that make unvented jackets, non-formalwear?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using a navy suit jacket as sport coat is probably not ideal - there are some differences (but few will notice them). Still, I think it is fine to go this path while being not able to afford both a navy suit and a navy sports coat. It may also be an emergency option when traveling with small luggage.

Regarding the vent: I did never see anything indicating that ventless would be less acceptable than center vent or side vents. It is just a matter of personal preference. Here, the taste of many including myself is very anglophile and so they/I often prefer side vents.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had done any research you would have found that suit coats whose trousers are lost are described as 'orphaned' and that using them as sorts coats is not generally a good idea. Both cut and cloth differ between the two and they look exactly what they are - and not good at all.

Avoid the temptation.

The other question raised about blazers and sports coats. They to are different, clothes cut, buttons and the terms are not interchangeable.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(there used to be brightly colored and striped jackets that were referred to as blazers but nobody wears these anymore).

Oh, really? I'd better stop wearing my green and gold striped blazer in summer then...
sarcasm.gif

And as a general response, suits often used to be cut with the express intent of being able to use the parts as separates as well. In fact, back in the 30s, a patterned trouser in an appropriate colour would be perfectly acceptable with a black jacket (with tails or otherwise).

The answer to the question then, is that it depends on the fabric type, the pattern and the way the suit is made. The 3-piece tweed Harris Tweed that I am wearing in my profile picture, for example, can very easily be broken up into separates, and I most often wear the vest or the jacket on its own... even with denim (gasp!), and quite a few suit jackets will work in the same way - though by no means all. Glen Plaid suit trousers will work perfectly well with a black blazer (which is also not some kind of abomination as some people would have you believe here). There are many other examples, which while they will never be conservative business dress, will be perfectly stylish. As with most style, if you know what you are doing, then you can do it.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh, really? I'd better stop wearing my green and gold striped blazer in summer then... :sarcasm:

And as a general response, suits often used to be cut with the express intent of being able to use the parts as separates as well. In fact, back in the 30s, a patterned trouser in an appropriate colour would be perfectly acceptable with a black jacket (with tails or otherwise).

The answer to the question then, is that it depends on the fabric type, the pattern and the way the suit is made. The 3-piece tweed Harris Tweed that I am wearing in my profile picture, for example, can very easily be broken up into separates, and I most often wear the vest or the jacket on its own... even with denim (gasp!), and quite a few suit jackets will work in the same way - though by no means all. Glen Plaid suit trousers will work perfectly well with a black blazer (which is also not some kind of abomination as some people would have you believe here). There are many other examples, which while they will never be conservative business dress, will be perfectly stylish. As with most style, if you know what you are doing, then you can do it.

Sorry I shouldn't have said "nobody" and I don't mean to imply you look anything short of dashing in your blazer - I just mean, now when people say "blazer", they aren't thinking of those garments, where in times past they may have been.

Would black blazer+glen plaid suit trousers be considered a "stroller"?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, I have a 3pc tweed suits in the works at Chan that I plan to break out as separates often. As mentioned earlier, this is easily done when you have a rougher fabric because 1) it doesn't look like it came from a suit, and 2) wearing different items different amounts will result in less difference in the fabric

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I shouldn't have said "nobody" and I don't mean to imply you look anything short of dashing in your blazer - I just mean, now when people say "blazer", they aren't thinking of those garments, where in times past they may have been.
Would black blazer+glen plaid suit trousers be considered a "stroller"?

I think some people would still call it that, yes!

And I guess more people in the UK still mean striped summer coats when they say 'blazer' than in the USA. It does seem that even in the UK they are either worn by old traditionalists or the young and very posh these days - you are right that they are much less common, and certain amongst those in the middle age ranges.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think some people would still call it that, yes!

And I guess more people in the UK still mean striped summer coats when they say 'blazer' than in the USA. It does seem that even in the UK they are either worn by old traditionalists or the young and very posh these days - you are right that they are much less common, and certain amongst those in the middle age ranges.

Interesting - if you get a chance, throw up a pic of said blazer, I am interested. I'm considering some new summer odd jackets...I don't think I'd wear such a garment often enough to spend a bunch of money commissioning one, but if I could thrift or ebay one in my size I might give it a shot.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting - if you get a chance, throw up a pic of said blazer, I am interested. I'm considering some new summer odd jackets...I don't think I'd wear such a garment often enough to spend a bunch of money commissioning one, but if I could thrift or ebay one in my size I might give it a shot.

You can see me wearing it here - and yes, I am breaking all kinds of SF rules and I don't care - I was trying to look a little louche and disreputable! Incidentally, the blazer is actual a recent take on the old standard from PS by Paul Smith (and it's a very non-traditional cotton and elastan mix!), the tie is my old school leavers' tie, can't remember what the shirt was (it is now dead), and the trousers are 1950s cricket whites in wool. You can't see the mustard suede boots...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads