• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the Crockett and Jones Experts

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
^ hi zbromer, actually Turnbull & Asser is currently the only store in LA that carries C&J. TA doesn't have much left as T&A is buying back their stock in order to start a freestanding C&J store in Beverly Hills. As you know, BB and RL have shoes manufactured to their own specifications by C&J, and as a result don't have the sleekness of actual C&J designed shoes. Also, Barneys dropped the line. Thanks for your recommendations on the Connaught. I'll look into it further before deciding on a shoe.
Did all of the Barneys drop C&J? Or just the LA store? I was in one a few weeks ago on the East Coast and asked about the next sale...he mentioned nothing of the line being dropped, although he very well may not know.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
Did all of the Barneys drop C&J? Or just the LA store? I was in one a few weeks ago on the East Coast and asked about the next sale...he mentioned nothing of the line being dropped, although he very well may not know.

i know the barneys in beverly hills dropped C&J but cannot speak if the other locations have.

upstarter

Reaction score
Is it douchy to go to T&A for a fitting and then buy online from PLAL?

My excuse was going to be that i'll be visiting london soon and know they tell people to buy in England (for shirts) if they're gonna be there b/c it's cheaper (or so i've heard).

Thoughts and moral guidance is welcome.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster

Barneys in SF carries C&J, but it's a somewhat small selection. I think almost everything is on the 348, so it's not like you get to try much.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
BB uses 240 last a lot,is that actually a last created for BB or a standard CJ last? I've never seen CJ shoes on 240 last myself.
240 Last should be the C or D width version of the 325 Last, like the 317 is its G width version.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
Is it douchy to go to T&A for a fitting and then buy online from PLAL? My excuse was going to be that i'll be visiting london soon and know they tell people to buy in England (for shirts) if they're gonna be there b/c it's cheaper (or so i've heard). Thoughts and moral guidance is welcome.
Not at all. It is called making the market more efficient. If you receive good service from T and A (love that name), then you can buy from them as a reward. Competition is a good thing.

Reaction score
Is it douchy to go to T&A for a
fitting and then buy online from PLAL?

My excuse was going to be that i'll be visiting london soon and know they tell people to buy in England (for shirts) if they're gonna be there b/c it's cheaper (or so i've heard).

Not at all. It is called making the market more efficient. If you receive good service from T and A (love that name), then you can buy from them as a reward. Competition is a good thing.

Frihed89

Reaction score
Is it douchy to go to T&A for a fitting and then buy online from PLAL?

If you are from the US, don't expect to be too pleased with RTW shirts. I spent a couple of hours roaming up and down Jermyn St. and could only find various cutaway and "classic" collars, neither of which are very popular in the US. Also, what we used to call "person of Italian descent knots" are very much in style in these days in the UK, along with pastel-colored ties. The shirts seem to be made to be compatible with both.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
If a US 13D fits me well in the RL Benton what size should I order in the C&J Belgrave?

Most likely 12E. For most people and for most lasts, drop a full size from US to UK and adjust the width one letter up. I have at least a dozen CJs in over a half dozen lasts, and this sizing guide works for me. Obviously, there will be some variations among feet, so trying on, if possible, is best. Otherwise, I think the down one size, up one letter works pretty well.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
If a US 13D fits me well in the RL Benton what size should I order in the C&J Belgrave?
Why don't you e-mail Mr. Huqstable, Manager at C&J's mail order dept. ([email protected]) and ask him what is the UK size of a RL Benton US13D? I expect that he will respond within a day.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
It's definitely not a sleek last,my issue with 240 is that I fall in between 10.5 and 11. It is frustrating as most of Peals are on 240. The good thing is that you can get them on deep discounts.

I have the exact same problem. I fall right between the 10 and 10.5 D.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Most likely 12E. For most people and for most lasts, drop a full size from US to UK and adjust the width one letter up. I have at least a dozen CJs in over a half dozen lasts, and this sizing guide works for me. Obviously, there will be some variations among feet, so trying on, if possible, is best. Otherwise, I think the down one size, up one letter works pretty well.

Originally Posted by mxgreen
Why don't you e-mail Mr. Huqstable, Manager at C&J's mail order dept. ([email protected]) and ask him what is the UK size of a RL Benton US13D? I expect that he will respond within a day.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads