• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchases you regret?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Nordstrom is well known for having a very liberal return policy. Pretty much any item that could have been purchased in a Nordstrom can be returned at any time without receipt.

This is awesome.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Of all the clothing regrets, this is one most of us wouldn't mind having.

This is true, but I knew it going into the purchases that they might actually just hang in the closet and take up much needed space. I've donated tons of clothes, many of which were never worn. Just washed, ironed and put up on a hanger.

It's the moment when you see something you like, realize that it's on sale and a good buy, but you think to yourself " I probably wont be wearing this in a year" then you should listen to that advice and not buy it.

I could probably pay for two MTM suits from Steven Aver with the money I pissed away on dumb clothes that never got worn. I realize that that might not be much to some, but it was a big error for me.

This is what I am reminded of now when I want to buy something. It kinda helps now, because I have enough basic staples that I can focus on fleshing out the things that don't necessarily get affected by body size, i.e, ties, tie clips, cufflinks etc...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Dandy
An online-MTM suit. Never again.
frown.gif

I asked for fully canvassed, but the end product had no interfacing of any kind. In fact, considering the feel of the fabric, it may have actually been made of canvas... Anyway, despite careful measuring based on a suit with good fit, the pants were too wide at the waist and about six inches too long.

I hope you did something about it I would have been irate.

That is not just buyers remorse but a mistake (few major mistakes) on the account of the vendor.

kryn13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ajaxv2
Word. Nobody ever puts up real pictures/describes items properly. People who list items as having "no pleats" and then ship me pleated clothing that would make my grandfather blush should be shot.

Shot I say!

Or 'perfect condition' and it looks like it has been drug underneath a bus for 20 miles.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
And about 75% of my ebay purchases.

That's not a bad percentage, actually. I regret about 95% of mine.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
(...)

And about 75% of my ebay purchases.

ehhh, I tend towards around...20%. Some shirts that were frayed beyond even my standards, and a Kilgour suit that looked fine in the photos, but had to have been cut in the 70's out of 18 oz wool. Too heavy for our weather.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Nordstrom is well known for having a very liberal return policy. Pretty much any item that could have been purchased in a Nordstrom can be returned at any time without receipt.

i dont think tailored /altered items though. they do require the scan label to show for a record of what actual price it was purchased to prevent anyone to buy something at a discount or at an anniversary sale, and then return it for full retail refund.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by d'brickasho
i dont think tailored /altered items though. they do require the scan label to show for a record of what actual price it was purchased to prevent anyone to buy something at a discount or at an anniversary sale, and then return it for full retail refund.

d'brickasho, judging by the amount of stuff you resell with little to no wear there must be a lot of purchases you regret, no?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RxDudecatkitty
d'brickasho, judging by the amount of stuff you resell with little to no wear there must be a lot of purchases you regret, no?

yeah. read my first post here. all the stuff i regretted i tried to return if purchased from online stores or such. if purchased from people here i usually resell promptly (unless it was grossly misstated or something). it is really hard to find something you want online.

but i am talking about buyer remorse that comes about in the long run. when you get what you want at the moment and then later find out your taste changes or you miscalculated something in your aesthetic /style. or just found out it wasnt practical.

billsayers

Reaction score
Good thread...

My biggest clothing regrets (and there are a lot) are the following...all pre-SF:

• Brown Ferragamo leather bomber got it for $500 and never wore...it is too billowy and for men much older than I am
  • Hugo Boss black leather blazer a size too big...was on sale for $300 and I couldn't resist, needless to say, I looked like a douche wearing it and I only wore it once
  • Versace lace up shoes...it had a small metal Medusa on the side of the shoe, what was I thinking?
  • Two Emporio Armani pinstripe suits (charcoal and gray, both with light blue pinstripes)...the quality is decent but the jackets are unvented, haven't worn those in over a year
  • Shitload of Armani Collezioni and Zegna dress shirts that are made for "executives" (aka fatties) that look horrible on a skinny guy

My lessons learned over the years:
  • Do not be a brand whore
  • Being stylish is better than being fashionable
  • Pass up a perceived bargain...it is only a bargain if I would have bought it regardless of the sale
  • Avoid leather jackets

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billsayers
Good thread...

My biggest clothing regrets (and there are a lot) are the following...all pre-SF:

• Brown Ferragamo leather bomber got it for $500 and never wore...it is too billowy and for men much older than I am lol
  • Hugo Boss black leather blazer a size too big...was on sale for $300 and I couldn't resist, needless to say, I looked like a douche wearing it and I only wore it once lol
  • Versace lace up shoes...it had a small metal Medusa on the side of the shoe, what was I thinking? hahaha
  • Two Emporio Armani pinstripe suits (charcoal and gray, both with light blue pinstripes)...the quality is decent but the jackets are unvented, haven't worn those in over a year you can still go back and wear these. unvented is overly criticized. if these fit wear them EA is very sweet.
  • Shitload of Armani Collezioni and Zegna dress shirts that are made for "executives" (aka fatties) that look horrible on a skinny guy hehe

My lessons learned over the years:
  • Do not be a brand whore
  • Being stylish is better than being fashionable
  • Pass up a perceived bargain...it is only a bargain if I would have bought it regardless of the sale
  • Avoid leather jackets

love reading these regrets, makes me feel better. so entertaining, sorry.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pair of Italian pointed, elastic-sided mock-crock boots (don't look quite as disgusting as they sound), which I let the SA convince me into buying a size too small. They looked good in the shop with jeans and felt snug.

Trouble is they didn't stretch at all and now I know how foot-bound Chinese ladies feel. I still wear them when it's raining and I'm feeling like a tough guy.

[Did I mention these too were on sale??]

d-nice

Reaction score

agreed. I have taken items back months after purchase without receipt and never had a problem. I once purchased a pair of shorts and they ripped (my fault) and I returned them for a new pair with no questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads