• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSMF diet

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
I'm not happy with my fat loss progress - I'm probably in the high teens right now - so I'm going to go hardcore.

4 cans of tuna a day + multivitamins + the odd glass of fruit juice. I'll aim to not to over 1k calories a day, and keep this up for 9 days.

9 days is hardly any time. And correct me if im wrong, but didn't the American FDA say something about eating large amounts of tuna due to mercury?

dstoabs

Reaction score
I've been on a full PSMF diet and had great success with it. I did a PSMF diet that consisted of only five 100 calorie liquid protein shakes a day, vitamin and mineral supplements, and weekly medical clinic office visits. I lost 45 lbs in 8 weeks and had a very good overall experience on the diet (went from a BMI of 36 to a BMI of 29). I had body fat measurements taken before and after the diet showing that, by far, the weight lost was mostly fat, not muscle. I have been successful in keeping the weight off as well. There's a lot of bad information and bad advice about this diet floating around out there. There's also numerous variations of this type of diet which doesn't help because people are not comparing apples to apples. There's all liquid versions (Full PSMF, which is the pure form of the fast), there's versions that do shakes all day and one solid food meal (modified PSMF), then there's versions that have very small solid food meals all day (Solid Food PSMF, which isn't really much of a fast). Any version that uses solid food opens itself up to easy cheating and compromised results. There are many versions that appear to not provide complete nutrition. The version I did offered complete nutrition through the shakes and supplements and losing the weight was so easy. If more people could learn about the full PSMF diet that I was on, and could find out how simple and effective it is, I think it would become very popular. My profile page includes more information about my experience on this diet if anyone is interested.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only PSMF-type of diet I would ever consider is Lyle's RFL or something to that effect. For a decently active person VLCD PSMFs seem like the best way to do **** all.

dstoabs

Reaction score
"Lyle McDonald’s Rapid Fat Loss is a solid food, very low calorie diet consisting of lean proteins, a small amount of fat and carbohydrate, a more or less unlimited amount of no calorie vegetables (and other zero-calorie foods), and some basic supplements. On average, caloric intakes will come out to be about 600-800 calories/day. The diet doesn’t rely on liquid protein shakes, but instead on low calorie solid food meals. The effectiveness of this diet cannot be questioned due to the countless positive reviews by people who’ve done it. On solid food versions of the PSMF, you have to buy the right types of food, prepare them, and force yourself to not over-eat. Overeating is the biggest problem obese people have, however. When you cook your food on this diet, it would be so easy to stand in the kitchen and munch away hundreds of calories, then tell yourself you only ate 800 calories that day. This diet seems directed to a bodybuilder audience, which is already a normally disciplined crowd. The major concern with this diet is that if you held to it strictly, you would restrict yourself to only 600 to 800 calories per day which requires physician monitoring to minimize the potential for health risks. Also, starting a diet like this on your own from what you read in a book, without getting lab work done and an initial consultation with a doctor, is not a good idea." -Taken from The PSMF Diet e-book available at www.thePSMFdiet.com.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing is there's a few studies showing that a large caloric deficit comes a greater proportion of lbm being lost.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/15870104/reload=0;jsessionid=FD6F608913E663F0CEC4B9992CE97C64

They took 9 guys at an average of 16% body fat, fed them .5g/lb protein, underfed total calories by 40% and after 21 days 53% of weight loss was lbm (2kg out of 3.8 total kg). nitrogen balance was constantly negative and bmr decreased 200cal/day.

of course with higher protein intake nitrogen balance should be positive, but i think this still shows that if you dont want to lose a lot of that strength and lbm you gained its best not to decrease your caloric intake too drastically.

I've read RFL a few times, but unfortunately lyle got too lazy and didnt cite references so its hard to check up on what he says.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for a really informative poast. Not.

To clarify, I wasn't saying that I'd actually choose any type of PSMF if I had some pounds to shed, just that the RFL choice seems like the 'least ******' of the bunch. These crash diets are really suboptimal imo for most active ppl who aren't starting out obese.

Last edited:

paulmerc

Reaction score
I have started doing a PSMF recently, having read the Lyle Mcdonald book a few years ago - and that is a few years of no success with anything on the earth as far as diet, body recompostion, etc. I've tried calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, low carb, low carb/hi fat, upping the cardio, more carbs, more cardio ala BFFM. For whatever reason my body just does not want to budge with giving up any of the 67 lb of fat I have on my 250lb 6'5" frame. Short of a couple lbs. after months and months of tracked activity, intake, tracked output, measured RMR, bf, etc., it just won't budge. I'm a quite active person, fairly sedentary job but get between 1 and 3-4 hours of exercise daily and yet, nothing.

I figure I probably can't kill myself by eating 800-900 cals a day with 200gram coming from protein. The one thing I don't know how to handle is the free meals and free "5-6 hours" that are recommended in the RFL program by LM. Anyone have any tips for this? I'm thinking just have a dinner, no alcohol, just maybe service pasta, meat, glass of milk, cookie, done.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have started doing a PSMF recently, having read the Lyle Mcdonald book a few years ago - and that is a few years of no success with anything on the earth as far as diet, body recompostion, etc.  I've tried calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, low carb, low carb/hi fat, upping the cardio, more carbs, more cardio ala BFFM.  For whatever reason my body just does not want to budge with giving up any of the 67 lb of fat I have on my 250lb 6'5" frame.  Short of a couple lbs. after months and months of tracked activity, intake, tracked output, measured RMR, bf, etc., it just won't budge.  I'm a quite active person, fairly sedentary job but get between 1 and 3-4 hours of exercise daily and yet, nothing.     I figure I probably can't kill myself by eating 800-900 cals a day with 200gram coming from protein.  The one thing I don't know how to handle is the free meals and free "5-6 hours" that are recommended in the RFL program by LM.  Anyone have any tips for this?  I'm thinking just have a dinner, no alcohol, just maybe service pasta, meat, glass of milk, cookie, done.  

He wants you to eat carbs. Drink some alcohol have some bread and pasta with your regular meal of protein

Last edited:

ktrp

Reaction score
I've used RFL. It works. It was a lot easier then i thought it would be.

For the carb load, eat a fair amount of carbs, but don't go crazy on fat.

The free meal is a free meal, its for psychological reasons, if you want a glass of wine or a glass of beer have one, have desert, eat a measured portion of whatever you want. Basically if you're on sub 1k calories 5.5 days a week, even if you eat 2000 calories on that cheat meal, fat is still flying off your body.

dstoabs

Reaction score
TrH, I really appreciate your comments. You're such a classy guy...

To clarify, the 500 calorie per day, all liquid protein shake version of the PSMF diet is normally for people with a BMI of 30 or greater. You take in a lot of protein to maintain muscle mass, take vitamin and mineral supplements to maintain nutrition, and you should make a weekly 30 minute clinic visit to ensure you're not having any complications. With a caloric deficit of over 2000 cal per day, I was burning fat like crazy. Like I wrote earlier, 45 lbs in 8 weeks. I've been able to maintain my weight with Volumetrics and exercise, but if I ever did get lazy and go back up to a 30 BMI, I would do the PSMF diet again in a heartbeat. Anyone can read about how this version of the PSMF diet works at http://www.thepsmfdiet.com/e-book.html. The primary clinical study that proved the effectiveness of this type of diet is available at: http://www.ajcn.org/content/41/3/540.abstract (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 41, 540-544). You only stay on this diet long enough to cut down to the weight you want to be at; actually to a little lower than you want to be at due to the water weight regain that will happen.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TrH, I really appreciate your comments. You're such a classy guy...
Thank you for noticing, not many people appreciate my great contributions to this subforum :bigstar: If you'd actually read my poast you'd know I wasn't speaking about dudes who start out as morbidly obese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads