• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA - Thin Red Line shirt clearance - £9.99

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Wow, that's bullshit

I know. It really pissed me off. I wrote back that I'd be willing to pay an extra 20.00 GBP, but I haven't heard back from them.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
I know. It really pissed me off. I wrote back that I'd be willing to pay an extra 20.00 GBP, but I haven't heard back from them.

You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for shipping. If they accepted your order, then they should fulfill it. An example of poor customer service - I won't buy from them.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That surprises me. A while back - they were very accommodating when they were selling the AS shoes at £79.99. I think they even donated a pair to the original PSA thread starter.

Very bad customer service indeed....

MatthewN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm332
How much ... in my case the order is pretty small. 60 GBP - the customs presumably has to be connected with the value of goods coming through/

Technically, duties are payable on any import over CDN$20 in value; it's just a matter of whether customs notices it (I think they assess a random subset of all imports).

If the exporter hires a customs broker (like TM Lewin did the last time I ordered from them), you'll get charged the duties and also have to pay the brokerage fees (grrr...)

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
The frequency of your imports also triggers a few flags at Canada Customs. Several years ago we were buying lots of opals off of EBay (long story). The price was phenomenal, and we rarely paid much in terms of duties (the sellers were all above board). After the tenth package, we noticed that someone stamped "Frequent Customer" on the envelope...

They're watching you.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for shipping. If they accepted your order, then they should fulfill it. An example of poor customer service - I won't buy from them.

I still had not heard back from them, so I sent an inquiry through their website today. Got a quick response, and they informed me that my order had been sent yesterday. Also that they were "still subsidising [sic] the postage" for my order.

I did not understand what exactly they were saying there, so I asked for clarification. And only THEN, they confirm that they took me up on my offer to pay an extra GBP 20.00.

I am definitely disappointed, but for $16/shirt, it's hard to complain too much. Hopefully, it will be worth it once they are here. I've never bought from them in the past, and I'll definitely pause to think before ordering from them again in the future.

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
I still had not heard back from them, so I sent an inquiry through their website today. Got a quick response, and they informed me that my order had been sent yesterday. Also that they were "still subsidising [sic] the postage" for my order.

I did not understand what exactly they were saying there, so I asked for clarification. And only THEN, they confirm that they took me up on my offer to pay an extra GBP 20.00.

I am definitely disappointed, but for $16/shirt, it's hard to complain too much. Hopefully, it will be worth it once they are here. I've never bought from them in the past, and I'll definitely pause to think before ordering from them again in the future.

I got my shirts earlier this week. Certainly not earth shattering but for less than 20 a shirt I wasnt expecting too much. The collar is a little stiffer than I would like but other than that they seem fine. Certainly not super slim fit but not nearly as billowy as some folks on this thread seemed to suggest.

I am interesting in seeing how well they last. But then again for the price I paid - I am not going to be too finicky.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tails on the shirt are very long, but as the previous poster mentioned, they were not as billowy as thought. Decent fabric (much better than CT).

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got all mine and am very happy. They are indeed not especially billowy. Certainly not super slim, but neither am I.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
I got all mine and am very happy. They are indeed not especially billowy. Certainly not super slim, but neither am I.

I agree. I bought a few mini-gingham check shirts when others were buying lots of Thin Red Line shoes a few months back, as the shirts were also on sale.

Whilst they're not truly slim-cut, they're certainly a bit slimmer than the standard Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, Harvie and Hudson etc cut. I find that the shoulders are cut a little narrower, too, which I like.

Whilst the collars are a bit stiff, they're not too thick and they have a nice shape to them.

For the sale price, I am very happy with them and would certainly buy more on sale.

mrchapel

Reaction score
I ordered two shirts (would have ordered more to justify the high shipping cost, but their inventory is low) and was pleased at first glance.

However, after taking them out of the package and examining them, I've come to the conclusion that they were not a good buy. The fabric on both is very thin (not at all what I expected), and the collars seem a lot stiffer and tighter than other shirts I have with the same collar size (although it might be that with the way they cut their collars I might need to size .5" up higher). I'm not skinny, but I did find them to be pretty blousy. However, since I haven't purchased from CT or TML, or any other British shirtmaker, I have little to compare them too.

I'll probably throw the ones I got up for sale in the FS forum, as the cost to return them seems pointless, especially considering their 7 day return policy on sale items.

It's too bad, I wanted to like them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads