• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canclini Navy Tonal Plaid with PC Slate Blue Cashmere Knit Tie. I love the floppiness of the Soft President Spread Collar with the stays taken out.
upload_2019-2-1_10-31-6.jpeg

OzWino

Reaction score
Problems with shrinking to fit. My latest shirt is a grey melange cotton linen. I ordered it with my tried-and-true measurements (I’ve bought 20-some shirts over 4 years). It arrived a little too big and it still hadn’t shrunk much after warm-wash-hang-dry 3 times, so I finally put it in the dryer. Now the collar is too tight and the shirt is shorter but still baggy around the torso. It’s not sparking joy for me.

Any tips on how I could
  1. shrink the width of the shirt, and
  2. stretch the neck?
Also, I don’t know how to avoid sizing glitches like this in the future. Like I said, I used my regular sizing info and got a shirt that doesn’t fit.

Alas no suggestions for your predicament - but this is something I struggle with too. Not just PC, but all online MTM providers. Such variable performance of fabrics drives me bonkers. Surely it would make sense for the fabric to be preshrunk or prepared in someway prior to being made into the garment.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas no suggestions for your predicament - but this is something I struggle with too. Not just PC, but all online MTM providers. Such variable performance of fabrics drives me bonkers. Surely it would make sense for the fabric to be preshrunk or prepared in someway prior to being made into the garment.
Agreed. As much as the companies pretend we go to them for the quality and the high-end fabrics, the truth is we’re here for the custom fit. Period.

Last edited:

cp3

Reaction score

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts/portuguese-forest-and-slate-melange-plaid-260960.html

Utility pockets are new I think?

Some nice plaids and flannels added this season, but still looking for plain (melange or slightly textured) in staples like light blue or tan/cream. Slate and other dark colors are overrepresented. Would like to see some classic flannel (smaller) plaids like this discontinued fabric https://propercloth.com/fabrics/cascade-green-tartan-flannel-1790.html
I think I like those utility pockets as a casual option. Thanks for pointing them out.

If I search in the shirt gallery for melange or texture I see solids in those colours you’re looking for.

mactire

Reaction score

I buy cloth myself and hotwash it a couple of times before having it made up to avoid this, and keep the off-cuts to have collars re-made etc. It's a fair deal of extra effort though.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy cloth myself and hotwash it a couple of times before having it made up to avoid this, and keep the off-cuts to have collars re-made etc. It's a fair deal of extra effort though.
You don't have this done via PC, do you? I'd been told (some time ago, admittedly) that was not an option.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dooooooubt PC is using his cloth....

I would guess hes speaking in general

Was at PC last week

DMcG

Reaction score
Anyone have a collar style they really like for popovers? I only have one shirt from PC and really like the Soft Ivy Buttondown but I don't think I want a buttondown on the popover and I don't have any other popovers so I don't have any experience with what I like with them. The shirt would be made using the Albini Washed Navy Melange Linen.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a collar style they really like for popovers? I only have one shirt from PC and really like the Soft Ivy Buttondown but I don't think I want a buttondown on the popover and I don't have any other popovers so I don't have any experience with what I like with them. The shirt would be made using the Albini Washed Navy Melange Linen.
Soft Roma cutaway

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was strongly considering that one. Also, would you recommend making any adjustments to the fit compared to a regular shirt? Maybe make it a little boxier?
Possibly, depends on how you like your shirts to fit. I have kept the same chest measurement on mine, but my normal shirts aren't super fitted in the chest, so I'm able to get the popovers on without too much trouble. In general, though, adding an extra inch probably isn't a bad idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics