• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm getting married in September and am looking to buy my wedding shirt. I want it to be white, comfortable, and casual for a wedding. My other requirement is that it be opaque--I don't wear undershirts and I have dark tattoos, so I don't want them to show through.

I'm looking at the White 100s Royal Oxford and the Thomas Mason Oxford. Thoughts?
The wrinkle resistant cavalry twill is nice and not see-through. I have two in this fabric.
http://propercloth.com/fabrics/white-wrinkle-resistant-cavalry-twill-956.html

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my remade oxford back and with some adjustments I am very pleased. My only change next time would be the yoke I think, I took .75 off and I think I need to take off even a bit more next time. I think I pretty much nailed the arms, chest, waist and length this time around. The shirt has been washed and dried two times before checking everything over.

Sorry for the quick phone pics but let me know if you guys have any suggestions. I wanted a length and width that worked double duty for tucked and untucked and I think it's spot on. If I was working with a strictly tucked in shirt I might go slightly more narrow in the waist.

What is going on with the pulling here though? Poor button placement? This is the right side and it is much worse compared to the left.

Here are the specs: (I am 5'9" 175lbs)

Last edited:

terra firma

Reaction score
That looks like it could be a button issue. Hard to say. did you send that photo off to proper? They're usually very quick with a response.

terra firma

Reaction score
Yeah I emailed them shortly before posting

I'd wait to hear back from them to see what they say first.

Somewhat related note, I really love their construction, but man I really wish their oxfords were a bit softer. I know they have the Thomas Mason fabrics, but that's a bit more than I want to spend on one shirt.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wait to hear back from them to see what they say first.

Somewhat related note, I really love their construction, but man I really wish their oxfords were a bit softer. I know they have the Thomas Mason fabrics, but that's a bit more than I want to spend on one shirt.

I hear you on the softness, I find that part of the fun though is breaking it in over time and making it soft that way. By no means is the fabric rough, but I do have samples of some of the higher end oxfords to see the difference. I am very happy with the construction and weight of the oxford, I do think this one will break in nicely.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a tie from Proper Cloth, so thought I'd stop by to say that I really like it. It seems very well made, and knots and wears well.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X post from waywt. Got my Ivy button down popover and took it for a spin today. Love the fabric and fit! Had to do the complimentary alterations process though—the collar came out huge when I simply put my normal collar size in (and I tweaked a bunch of other stuff too).

Inaugural Proper cloth shirt wearing today

J.Crew wool Bowery pant
Alden for BB loafs

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with too much fabric around the bicep? It seems like the default armhole is too high/small and all the extra fabric gets relegated to the bicep area.

You could always ask them to reduce the amount of fabric in the bicep area. Mine's pretty slim throughout the arm to the cuff.
X post from waywt. Got my Ivy button down popover and took it for a spin today. Love the fabric and fit! Had to do the complimentary alterations process though—the collar came out huge when I simply put my normal collar size in (and I tweaked a bunch of other stuff too).

How do you like the popovers? I've been debating whether or not to get one.

katabatic

Reaction score
I just received a button-down collared shirt in the pink/blue madras fabric (regular button-down collar, one button standard rounded cuffs, tall MOP buttons, french front, no pockets) and thought folks might like another picture of that fabric actually made into a shirt.

It arrived just in time for me to wear it on a wine country outing with this blue linen suit. I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads