• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but at least they could have attempted to defend themselves
Like no guns in the first trip in, Dr. Shaw not trying to kill the alien after it was cut out of her, etc. Just felt like the cast just died vs died fighting. Know the movie wasn't supposed to be like Alien but a bit more fighting would not have hurt the film

i was wondering that, but i think she was to freaked out and to much in pain to do too much of anything. more than anything she wanted to contain it. she did hit that decontaminate button, so i think she did try and kill it. she didnt realize how powerful it was. just my take.

teh hammerpedes i thnk they're called

fanks!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regarding the "proto-alien," I stand by my belief it's not an early version of the same xenomorph from Alien/Aliens The creature was clearly different from how it looked to even having a different life-cycle. Both creatures were made by the Engineers and share some DNA, but were related only in such way as a raven would be to an eagle as birds.

EDIT: Also Shaw did try and kill the squid thing. She thought the decontamination did so.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bet the video release.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Do you remember him asking the douchey scientist "how far would you be willing to go to find the answers?" The guy replied "I'd do anything" or some variation thereof. So David granted his wish.
I did think David's motivations were unnecessarily opaque. We don't really know what he knows, and we certainly don't know what Weyland knows (or thinks he knows). So it's very hard to try and tease out why David does the various things he does, especially when you add into the mix his line about creations all wanting to kill their creators/parents and other ambiguities.

One thing that bothered me was having him and Elizabeth left at the end, and she has a line like "I hate you, why would I help you do anything?" which expresses a nice oppositional duality between them, but she doesn't even know he killed Charley, does she!? Why couldn't there have been a way for her to find out? There was a moment in conversation with David/Weyland where it seemed like they had revealed it to her in a weirdly ambiguous way, but she didn't really react, and I can't remember the lines any more. There's also the line "your fetus isn't exactly conventional" (or something similar), but again I didn't buy her reaction and it didn't seem to me that the film was trying to convey any dawning of horrified understanding on Elizabeth's part.

I also keep reading about ambiguous links to Dr. Who, but I've never seen it and don't know what to make of that.

i think shaw figured out that david infected charlie when weyland + co went to find the living engineer. in the scene shaw was saying for people to keep their helmets on, since they didnt know how charlie got infected, david states it wasnt the air and she looks at him with an "oh ****" look before they all move on; due to her following her overriding purpose of "finding the answers" in charlie's memory she makes nothing of it and goes along for the ride. as far as david's motivations go, i see two options. first, for all the references to him not having emotion i think he grew tired of getting **** on by the crew - he could've infected anyone, really, but he infected the guy who made repeated jabs at his origin. i think he justified it with the "how far are you willing to go" comment. fassbender spoke about how david grew more and more jealous as the film went on, but this doesn't jive with the robot thing. second, i see him as being completely amoral and lacking any specific motivation; he ends up on both sides of good and evil and his judgement is in line with his nature as a robot. taking the cylinder, infecting charlie, being a nice guy at the end was all in line with making the most logical choice given the imperative at the time; he was following his heirarchy of needs as a robot, if it were.

as far as the engineer in the beginning, i took that as the start of life on earth.

with all that being said, i enjoyed watching the movie, but when i start thinking too much about it, the more of a let-down it is. i posted earlier about wanting it to be more suspenseful horror like alien than a bland xeno-shoot-em-up like avp, but what i got was neither. it wasn't suspenseful, and the only parts that could possibly seen as such were more visceral than atmospheric - not to mention every encounter was easily predetermined. two guys alone in the building? dead. zombie crew member shows up at the gate? redshirts dead. giant tentacle alien versus the lone surviving protagonist? oh hey, convenient engineer appearance. i would be okay with stereotypical dumb behaviour from expendables in a shoot-em-up, but when you're trying to do the suspenseful horror thing, why in the **** would you have that idiot try to play snakecharmer with something that could only possibly spell his certain doom? especially after he inexplicably wanted to leave after seeing dead engineers... somehow he is suddenly interested in making friends with the only possible thing that would have killed them. repeated logic fails totally kill any element of suspense or letting me feel any kind of remorse or connection to the character.

again, fun to watch if you shut your brain off, but it was the wrong style of movie for the that. no-brainer shoot em up? sure, bring the terrible dialog and a host of expendables. suspense film which only came about because of the massive nerdboner for canonical alien lore? for god's sake, try and write something more inspiring then. i think the worst part is the wasted potential - i think it started off well with the engineer starting life on earth but it filled itself full of holes shortly after that.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think shaw figured out that david infected charlie when weyland + co went to find the living engineer. in the scene shaw was saying for people to keep their helmets on, since they didnt know how charlie got infected, david states it wasnt the air and she looks at him with an "oh ****" look before they all move on; due to her following her overriding purpose of "finding the answers" in charlie's memory she makes nothing of it and goes along for the ride. as far as david's motivations go, i see two options. first, for all the references to him not having emotion i think he grew tired of getting **** on by the crew - he could've infected anyone, really, but he infected the guy who made repeated jabs at his origin. i think he justified it with the "how far are you willing to go" comment. fassbender spoke about how david grew more and more jealous as the film went on, but this doesn't jive with the robot thing. second, i see him as being completely amoral and lacking any specific motivation; he ends up on both sides of good and evil and his judgement is in line with his nature as a robot. taking the cylinder, infecting charlie, being a nice guy at the end was all in line with making the most logical choice given the imperative at the time; he was following his heirarchy of needs as a robot, if it were.
as far as the engineer in the beginning, i took that as the start of life on earth.
with all that being said, i enjoyed watching the movie, but when i start thinking too much about it, the more of a let-down it is. i posted earlier about wanting it to be more suspenseful horror like alien than a bland xeno-shoot-em-up like avp, but what i got was neither. it wasn't suspenseful, and the only parts that could possibly seen as such were more visceral than atmospheric - not to mention every encounter was easily predetermined. two guys alone in the building? dead. zombie crew member shows up at the gate? redshirts dead. giant tentacle alien versus the lone surviving protagonist? oh hey, convenient engineer appearance. i would be okay with stereotypical dumb behaviour from expendables in a shoot-em-up, but when you're trying to do the suspenseful horror thing, why in the **** would you have that idiot try to play snakecharmer with something that could only possibly spell his certain doom? especially after he inexplicably wanted to leave after seeing dead engineers... somehow he is suddenly interested in making friends with the only possible thing that would have killed them. repeated logic fails totally kill any element of suspense or letting me feel any kind of remorse or connection to the character.
again, fun to watch if you shut your brain off, but it was the wrong style of movie for the that. no-brainer shoot em up? sure, bring the terrible dialog and a host of expendables. suspense film which only came about because of the massive nerdboner for canonical alien lore? for god's sake, try and write something more inspiring then. i think the worst part is the wasted potential - i think it started off well with the engineer starting life on earth but it filled itself full of holes shortly after that.

Great post Jarude, I agree with all the issues you had with the film. Also LOLz at "why in the **** would you have that idiot try to play snakecharmer with something that could only possibly spell his certain doom?" Great turn of phrase!

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I felt that Shaw realized David had something to do with Charlie's infection. Also, did the black ooze read the dna of the worms in the ground and create the facehugger snakes as a result of that contact?

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I felt that Shaw realized David had something to do with Charlie's infection. Also, did the black ooze read the dna of the worms in the ground and create the facehugger snakes as a result of that contact?

Yes.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would be my guess. Charlie did treat Fassbender like **** though and did answer that he would do anything to find answers. The whole android part could have been developed a bit more too, especially with the viral promotions they did

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i feel like the movie needed an extra hour, with 3 hrs there could of been time to close the plot holes

+1 yeah or just remove a few parts / characters all together. The two pilots didn't really add much except for a tiny bit of comedy with the bet (maybe an Asian too?, like in Boyle's Sunshine where they wanted cast from the countries that were supposedly ahead in space tech)

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 yeah or just remove a few parts / characters all together. The two pilots didn't really add much except for a tiny bit of comedy with the bet (maybe an Asian too?, like in Boyle's Sunshine where they wanted cast from the countries that were supposedly ahead in space tech)

i blame the fail of this movie on the current generation of moviegoers and the studio pressuring for a 2hr vs 3hr film... overall i enjoyed the movie and tried not to overanalyze it to get said enjoyment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads