• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-Owned Porsche Purchase

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
This might sound silly, but the fact that the 911 has somewhat of a backseat is a very appealing factor. I would like to take the car to the beach on weekends, and having room for my dog is a plus. If not, we would be taking (2) cars...the girlfriend would be driving separate.

Sounds like you know what you want.
smile.gif
The backseats are pretty functional as long as you don't try to sit back there. For all the crap that the 911's rear-engine layout takes (and deservedly so), it has two huge advantages: first as you've seen is the packaging efficiency, so the car can have a backseat or storage area, just like the original Beetle. Second is better straightline braking and acceleration because of increased rear weight distribution.

--Andre

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I thought my BMW was expensive, but the Porsche took it to another whole level. Expect to pay, for example, over $200 for an oil change. Even if you DIY, the materials are pretty expensive, and you'll be paying well over $100 for those alone.

I have a rattle coming from the seatbelt buckle rattling against the seat, but my hatch doesn't have the hatch rattle. I think Porsche has a fix out for that if you experience it. So far, the car's been reliable and trouble-free (knocks on wood), but it's still pretty new. It's a 2008 with about 17K miles on it, albeit with a bunch of that on the track.

The only issue I've had with it are the tire-pressure sensors going crazy a couple of times, but I don't think that's specific to Porsche.

--Andre

Porsche as of October of 2008 has extended their CPO warranty to cover everything the factory warranty covers. I appreciate all of the insight as far as general maintence goes.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 2 year old Porsche will not hold it's value as well as ones from 2007 and before. Here's why.

In 2009, Porsche introduced to the 911 and the Cayman models a PDK transmission, combined with the new DI engine and you basically have a 997.5.

I have driven the 911 with the DI and PDK and WOULD NOT buy a preowned one now. That DI engine is sick and, say what you will, the PDK is the best transmission in the world.

Worth the extra dough in my opinion. I also love the new Cayman, but the prices are so close speced well, that a base model 911 is in reach.

If you want a CPO model, 3-5 years is the sweet spot on pricing.

Hany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
the PDK is the best transmission in the world.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Go to 3:25

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 911 is a terrific car. As others have stated, the rear seats are great for holding all types of stuff, and even better, the rear seat backs can be lowered to create a nice flat shelf. Consider an all-wheel drive for extra thrills, especially in snow(with proper tires, of course). The C4S in particular is a great car, and my personal favorite. Thus far, no issues whatsoever.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Either car would be fine choices, depending on what you're looking for.

I have a Cayman, and think it's one of the great sports cars available today. Many friends have 911s of various vintages, and love them as well. They drive them pretty hard (track schools), and the cars hold up well. Maintenance is ungodly expensive if you're used to normal cars, but the cars are reliable for what they are: low-volume production, high-performance sports cars.

Like any other car, Porsches have their issues, and two good places to do research are Rennlist and Planet Porsche. Good luck, and let us know how it goes or if you have other questions.

--Andre

Does your insurance doesn't cover what happens on the track?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Does your insurance doesn't cover what happens on the track?
Most policies did, but in the last five years or so, most insurance companies added language that would exclude track coverage. The only surprising thing about that is that it took so long for them to do it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Most policies did, but in the last five years or so, most insurance companies added language that would exclude track coverage. The only surprising thing about that is that it took so long for them to do it.

Yup. I think a lot more people started getting into track driving a few years ago, and there are lots of terrible, irresponsible schools out there, so they basically spoiled it for the rest of us. But to answer GQgeek's question, my policy doesn't exclude it, but I imagine the first time I make a claim, they will fulfill their obligation, and then cancel my policy. It's not such a big deal now that there are people who are selling track day policies that specifically cover such activities for not unreasonable prices.

Also bad are that many car companies will void your warranty if you've been to the track. The worst offender is probably Nissan with the GT-R, but with lots of kids fulfilling their Playstation fantasies with the real car, I suppose I can't blame them. In Japan, the car's GPS remembers where you've been, and the dealer will automatically cancel your warranty if you've been to one of the disapproved spots (one of several racetracks). They're not quite so Big Brother-ish in the US, but they do have a similarly ornerous policy.

The great thing about Porsche is that the only thing the user manual says about the track is that you shouldn't participate in track events until after your break-in.

--Andre

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Never driven a Cayman only 911s and Boxsters...a Porsche is one of the most reliable European cars you can buy so I would not worry to much about that...although I would avoid navigation systems if you are truly worried about reliability.

Depreciation on the Cayman probably will not be as bad as on the 911 and I imagine that like the Boxster it will be more fun to drive than a 911 and the Cayman has more storage (assuming you do not count the 911s luggage shelf)...that said it is not the most attractive car in the world.

If it was me I would just buy the 911. I had a Boxster for almost a year and while I loved it, it just wasn't a 911. When looking for one make sure you get one with a leather dash...this makes a night and day difference for the interior. Since you can not afford a Turbo try for a C4S and if you cannot afford that go for an C2S....try to find one with the sports chrono package.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I do, however, like the fact that Porsche does retain its value well.

You clearly haven't been following the 996 and 997 market.

Anyways, if I was in the market for a Porsche, I wouldn't even bother looking at anything but the 911. The Cayman/Boxster is for hair-dressers and douchebags.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
You clearly haven't been following the 996 and 997 market.

Anyways, if I was in the market for a Porsche, I wouldn't even bother looking at anything but the 911. The Cayman/Boxster is for hair-dressers and douchebags.

The water cooled 911s do not hold their value because they are not the handmade product they used to be...they no longer feel special.

I think the Cayman and Boxsters are good choices if you want a track car or a fun weekend car...they are closer to genuine sports cars. The 911 is an everyday driver...and yes it is the car people think of when they think Porsche and that is what bothered me about my Boxster...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads