• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potentially looking for couches in the Northern US (around New York, Chicago, Fargo)

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but it is worth a shot.

I am doing an internship in northern Saskatchewan (Canada). I need a car. My mother will give me her car. She lives in New Brunswick (Canada). That is about a 2500 mile drive from NB to Sask. I am looking to do it through the northern US to see some sights and save on gas. I have never been to any of the places I named, and would be great to see them.

This story is far more complicated than I am outlining here because I must defend my thesis this summer and things are slow right now while people are reviewing and I have free time, so I wish to go soon.

I am thinking of driving through those places from the 14-19ish. I am going to check out a website dedicated to couchsurfing, but I thought I would ask here since I know people here are very kind and are often willing to meet new people!

I am willing to answer any questions of course!

Mike

(Needless to say I mean couches to sleep on and not to buy? Haha!)

Cognacad

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I could easily provide many friends who would vouch for me. I could also call any interested hosts without any problem and if they are on facebook they could add me to learn more about me.

I am a young and friendly Canadian graduate student in clinical psychology.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you grow a beard?

2007_09_28_intothewild.jpg

Cognacad

Reaction score
No, since the road trip is quite short. If someone wants to put me up, and their requirement is that I have at least a small beard, I will start growing now. If you wish to compare before making your decision:
n121402154_31981966_6391.jpg
25399_356853967734_648667734_4188652_276461_n.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Couch to sleep on" isn't some sort of internet gay lingo, is it?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that this thread was going to be about a cross-country furniture-buying trip.

Usul

Reaction score
A few years ago I stopped at a rest stop in the very late evening and was solicited by a trucker for anonymous "hanging out". This sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ where's the wii fit ? :roma:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
^^ where's the wii fit ? :roma:

i now know what a wii/oui/we is, but at the time i could've sworn it was a pizza box...
eh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
You can't stay at my house, but it's not uncommon to find old couches sitting out by the road in front of people's houses in the Midwest. Just a thought.

swing a little further south and these will be up on folks' porches, providing a modicum of shelter if it rains....

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Attachment 45242
NYC possibility

* sorry, i vowed 'no more' after stalker accusation, but i think this is fairly benign...

Ohh thats a shame. So if I'm reading correctly that is a no. Completely fine of course, just making sure I am understanding correctly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads