• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potential NYC Move: Where to Live?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Well, with the 1K you are saving in rent each month, surely you can lease a nice 7 series to comfortably transport you from your home to your office. The apartment I provided a link to has a garage as well.

I didn't see the garage. That might work. I've been operating under the assumption that nobody drives in NYC, but it would be pretty nice to have a car and be able to drive to work.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I didn't see the garage. That might work. I've been operating under the assumption that nobody drives in NYC, but it would be pretty nice to have a car and be able to drive to work.
Yes. Personally, I'd prefer having my own driver, but we can't have everything now, can we? I enjoy driving in NYC; it's not nearly as much a chore as some would make it seem. And in your case, living on 2nd ave., you'd be able to just hop right onto the FDR. Your morning commute would be through central park--lovely--and only 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you take the PATH train to Hoboken? If so consider the west village. Is there a PATH train stop near TriBeCa?

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Would you take the PATH train to Hoboken? If so consider the west village.

This.

With the budget do not live in Hoboken. Look for places within a 10 minute walk of the NY Path stations. You'll love life.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that kind of a budget, West Village is your best bet.

Look for something near Christopher St, the first stop on the Manhattan side on Path. Your train commute will be 10-15 mins, max.

I don't know what the rents are like in the WV anymore, but I would imagine you can get some really nice 1bhk with a doorman in the $3-4k range.

That part of the WV is very nice as well.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
With that kind of a budget, West Village is your best bet. Look for something near Christopher St, the first stop on the Manhattan side on Path. Your train commute will be 10-15 mins, max. I don't know what the rents are like in the WV anymore, but I would imagine you can get some really nice 1bhk with a doorman in the $3-4k range. That part of the WV is very nice as well.
*shivers*

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would live between 70-75th and 5th/Madison/Park Ave. The old money feeling in the air around there just tickles my fancy ever so!

Yes. Personally, I'd prefer having my own driver, but we can't have everything now, can we? I enjoy driving in NYC; it's not nearly as much a chore as some would make it seem. And in your case, living on 2nd ave., you'd be able to just hop right onto the FDR.

Your morning commute would be through central park--lovely--and only 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

*shivers*

Are you a 75 year old woman with blue hair? Whatever please go away. Thanks.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Harlem.

If you wanted to snipe, you should have said South Bronx.
teacha.gif

exaequo

Reaction score
Definitely live in the West Village or Tribeca. Uptown has little to no cultural energy aside from the museums and the park - almost everything fun and interesting is going on downtown.

The WV is far more boisterous - properties with doormen are also pretty rare unless you're all the way out on the westside highway.

Tribeca is really quiet, and really nice.

You'll have no problem finding nice 1brs for $4k. Definitely no reason to stay in hoboken.

The only apartments really worth over $4k a month are the large lofts in Soho, or anything on a park, or anything on bond street (just not very many apartments there and all the buildings are super nice).

Whatever you do, don't go farther north than chelsea, and stay west for the commute.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by exaequo
Definitely live in the West Village or Tribeca. Uptown has little to no cultural energy aside from the museums and the park - almost everything fun and interesting is going on downtown.

That would hold true if this was the Tammany Hall era and commuting from the upper east / west side to downtown took hours, not 20 minutes with an express train. I like being able to go downtown, have fun and then make my way back to the UES with it's relative quite and ease.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Downtown is for hipsters and Asians.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads