• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your denim - denim fades and evolution

mr chorizo

Reaction score

My Roy x Cones at a little over six months. They'll surely need a third r once my class ends next week.
31383ec2.jpg

2c2dbaac.jpg

roys look good; but 3 washes in 6 months? take your time! dont think they need a wash for a while unless you have a disaster haha

mr chorizo

Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhh LOL I forgot about the 'no wash for six months rule'!

Seriously, though, it's three washes in seven months, and I'm not just sitting in front of a computer. These jeans have been through six months of home renovations, a couple weeks of hiking in the mountains, moving in the summer, etc... Thanks anyway for the 'advice'.

Besides, I think high contrast fades look bad. There, I said it.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two perspectives on washing denim.

I worked on a ranch in Arizona with real wranglers years ago and field workers in the Central Valley in the early 70's. I can tell you that their jeans got dirty from real wear, mud and cow **** and they washed them. No, they didn't have the fade patterns shown in this thread. It was a more, all-over fade. But it was the real deal.

I went to college with a retired guy who grew up working in the fields as a kid in CA in the early 1950's. He said his mom took him to the store at the beginning of the school year and bought him one brand new pair of Levis. He would roll up the legs, put them on and soak in a bath tub to get ride of the excess indigo dye and shrink the jeans to fit. He would then wear the jeans until they were dry. He would never wash them until he got his new pair of jeans the next year. He said they could almost "stand up in the corner by themselves". I can only imagine that his fades would be a favorite here :)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blasphemy.

OK, maybe 'bad' isn't the best word. They're at least overrated! I like the softer, more vintage fades. And, I won't be disgusting. Some of the unwashed one year jeans I've seen look ******* nasty. I pity the fool who went through a whole year smelling like **** just to impress his e-buddies.

I worked on a ranch in Arizona with real wranglers years ago and field workers in the Central Valley in the early 70's. I can tell you that their jeans got dirty from real wear, mud and cow **** and they washed them. No, they didn't have the fade patterns shown in this thread. It was a more, all-over fade. But it was the real deal.

I went to college with a retired guy who grew up working in the fields as a kid in CA in the early 1950's. He said his mom took him to the store at the beginning of the school year and bought him one brand new pair of Levis. He would roll up the legs, put them on and soak in a bath tub to get ride of the excess indigo dye and shrink the jeans to fit. He would then wear the jeans until they were dry. He would never wash them until he got his new pair of jeans the next year. He said they could almost "stand up in the corner by themselves". I can only imagine that his fades would be a favorite here :)

It's funny how we surely sometimes think that wearing jeans for epic fadez is something new and exciting, like we're trendsetters. I remember someone posting here that his mom and her friends used to buy Levis in the '50's(?) and rub them with sand and wire brushes to get them fading. I also think it's easy to get into raw denim and think 'ZOMG, must not wash! Must get +rep!', but in the end, they are just jeans, and there will always be another pair with which one can try something different.

Last edited:

clark kent

Reaction score

speaking of wranglers that got dirty from "real" wear and were washed often.

heres a pair of walmart wranglers i wore for 2 summers doing construction. only front pics, because they were washed so frequently theres almost no honeycombs, but i still love the color/fades.

i had them tapered down recently, but they still fit pretty awkwardly unless i roll them.

wumkrb.jpg

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we bought jeans in the late 60's and early 70's there was no such thing as broken in or washed jeans. They were all raw STF or sanforized. The first thing we did was to take them out and bash them against the road and then wash them.

There was also a period around 1969 where it was cool to bleach your jeans by dripping full strength bleach in splatters down your leg, enough so that you had these big white areas. It almost looked like blue and white camo. That makes me laugh to think of it now :)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about intentionally cutting holes in the knees? I hated it when my Mom would stick iron-on patches onto the knees of my jeans. Those things were so damn uncomfortable.

Those look great, clark kent. I'm going for a little higher contrast than that ;)

zissou, your jeans are some of the nicest looking I've seen on here.

Thanks, man. They're less electric blue than they appear in the photos. Five more months to go!

Last edited:

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny how we surely sometimes think that wearing jeans for epic fadez is something new and exciting, like we're trendsetters. I remember someone posting here that his mom and her friends used to buy Levis in the '50's(?) and rub them with sand and wire brushes to get them fading. I also think it's easy to get into raw denim and think 'ZOMG, must not wash! Must get +rep!', but in the end, they are just jeans, and there will always be another pair with which one can try something different.

Well put, and the jeans look great. Not washing any item of clothing in general is pretty gross... I think a few months in jeans is pushing it, but I'm pretty active in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads