• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question to Riva; Who in Asia makes carved bracelets like these? I was told the guy who sells these ships from Korea, although I could not find anything online even remotely similar to this product.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question to Riva; Who in Asia makes carved bracelets like these? I was told the guy who sells these ships from Korea, although I could not find anything online even remotely similar to this product.

View attachment 1094109

View attachment 1094110

Nobody worth mentioning. These guys are good at polishing and reselling to unassuming buyers thinking they get a super mint watch. Also damn good at servicing movts for a mere $5 when a guy in Canada was going to charge me $650 to repair what turned out to be a broken hairspring. Where I'm at they're good with watch straps and woodwork but unfortunately lack of exotic leather materials exempt me from being a customer. Hell I've seen handstitched straps with perfect edging that beat those Parisian renowned houses. These guys are true artisans but not for metalworks.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Then it is probably from Mexico rather than Asia.
P.S. Straps and wallets made by some artisans in Asia are = Hermes et co. There was a guy from Singapore here on SF few years back who offered his products for a few 100s (he was just starting). I was his first customer for alligator wallet and straps. Nowadays he makes straps mostly for premium watch brands and his prices for wallets ballooned to 800+
Great craftsman and really nice guy.
https://www.instagram.com/hughes_handcrafted/

283630_252660741518549_1107822010_n.jpg

424629_271141589670464_1846222422_n.jpg

14900315_1074173302700618_8782986573265810130_n.jpg

1174769_421349931316295_1625432523_n.jpg

387334_113370708780887_534111415_n.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Then it is probably from Mexico rather than Asia.
P.S. Straps and wallets made by some artisans in Asia are = Hermes et co. There was a guy from Singapore here on SF few years back who offered his products for a few 100s (he was just starting). I was his first customer for alligator wallet and straps. Nowadays he makes straps mostly for premium watch brands and his prices for wallets ballooned to 800+
Great craftsman and really nice guy.
https://www.instagram.com/hughes_handcrafted/

View attachment 1094118

View attachment 1094119

View attachment 1094120

View attachment 1094121

View attachment 1094122

I used him but he's super expensive and slow now. You want the same quality but faster and way cheaper? Contact:

https://instagram.com/mattlucas_sg?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1ts1jxtbd4bhc

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all have fine watch collections. Fantastic really.
I don't have the extra coin to ever have a watch collection, but its pretty clear a reasonably well dressed guy will have more than one. Right now my plan is to buy two: a brown Seiko and a black something. Pretty basic.
What is the basic set of watches you think every guy should have? Poor mans, I mean of course.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all have fine watch collections. Fantastic really.
I don't have the extra coin to ever have a watch collection, but its pretty clear a reasonably well dressed guy will have more than one. Right now my plan is to buy two: a brown Seiko and a black something. Pretty basic.
What is the basic set of watches you think every guy should have? Poor mans, I mean of course.

That's just us being stupid when we should've just bought only 3 watches: a white dialed and a black dressy watch plus one for sport. What is your budget total for those 2 watches?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's just us being stupid when we should've just bought only 3 watches: a white dialed and a black dressy watch plus one for sport. What is your budget total for those 2 watches?

$500us for both. Am going to buy that brown seiko presage sunray dial watch. I can wear it with lots of things, work and casual. But I want a black dial watch for my navy charcoal suit days. Haven't picked one of those yet, although again Seiko makes a beauty in the presage line, with roman numerals, and there is a Fred. Constant slim line that looks nice, too. Is that a decent watch?

You mentioned white dial. Amazon is running the Rossling Stirling white dial with a gray tweed strap that I like as a casual option, for $199 us. any thoughts on that? I kind of like the look of it, but have no idea if it is any good as a watch. and I am also wondering, how often would I wear a white dial? Not sure about that.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$500us for both. Am going to buy that brown seiko presage sunray dial watch. I can wear it with lots of things, work and casual. But I want a black dial watch for my navy charcoal suit days. Haven't picked one of those yet, although again Seiko makes a beauty in the presage line, with roman numerals, and there is a Fred. Constant slim line that looks nice, too. Is that a decent watch?

You mentioned white dial. Amazon is running the Rossling Stirling white dial with a gray tweed strap that I like as a casual option, for $199 us. any thoughts on that? I kind of like the look of it, but have no idea if it is any good as a watch. and I am also wondering, how often would I wear a white dial? Not sure about that.

You’ve seen the Seiko for $500? Where, if you don’t mind my asking? I thought it was pricier than that.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fred Constant dressy slim line is cool. I prefer that actually than a thicker Seiko Presage. But Seiko has such nice dial.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve seen the Seiko for $500? Where, if you don’t mind my asking? I thought it was pricier than that.
You are probably looking at a different seiko than am I. The srpb46 I am looking at is about $250 or so from several sellers on ebay. I assume they are legit, but do not know.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for a SRPB77 for $229 or so on Ebay. Or better yet a SARY075 for a bit more but better looking imo.

sary0755002.jpg

As for the black dial just settle for an Orient Bambino black or blue dial at $140 such as this

s-l1600 (1).jpg

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I figured it wasn't worth it for one measly pin. Should I? Even if they send me a replacement, I have clearly demonstrated that I don't know how to install the bugger anyway.

Also, any chance to just upgrade all the pins to screws? Has anyone done that or have a suggestion of where to look?

Call up Seiko service centre they will send you out some pins, it’s not difficult to fit.
Here is a good tutorial video.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are probably looking at a different seiko than am I. The srpb46 I am looking at is about $250 or so from several sellers on ebay. I assume they are legit, but do not know.

Oh, maybe so. I was thinking of the one that’s meant to look like the sky at night with a bit of moon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads