• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks what is with worshiping of generic watch designs? Typical day date square windows with printed markers and generic tachymeter bezel - these are hallmarks of one billion other watches over last 60 years. Add a few thousands retail price and I am really puzzled by all this admiration for mediocrity.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks what is with worshiping of generic watch designs? Typical day date square windows with printed markers and generic tachymeter bezel - these are hallmarks of one billion other watches over last 60 years. Add a few thousands retail price and I am really puzzled by all this admiration for mediocrity.

I was about to comment on that but then someone would probably call me an arrogant bastard with poor taste in choosing wrist accessories. We're in an age where commonness must equal universal beauty. I mean a watch with an essay on the dial and a halo of "Rolex Rolex Rolex" to remind you that you're wearing their brand is like wearing a LV monogram or a suit with the brand logo all over it. Hardly constitutes good taste especially in a forum such as this.

I expected better from this thread where the cost is much lesser as to allow a greater degree of freedom of choice.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time you buy generic watch you are sponsoring ugliness and conformity. You basically paying money to make the World more ugly. You should not be spared criticism for doing that. So stop passive agressiveness and take it like a man :box:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The appeal of a design is very personal. Some of the ones you’ve posted I find beautiful, some I find ugly.
I like the Sinn above for whatever reason but you could post 10 other watches you say have the same design and I may not like them just because of some little detail. I bow to your superior knowledge of movements and such but with design appeal there is no knowledge, just feelings.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sapphire dome, thin case, automatic but 42mm. $368. Black or blue better?

img_1546009053819.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That is a very handsome watch! But dammit why couldn't it be 39-40mm? Blue for me, if you're looking to make up for not getting me a Christmas gift.

Precisely would've been perfect at 40 max. But I'm getting one to evaluate and if too big pass down to a family member. Will post pics.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I’m probably never going to own an IWC mkXV, but the Hamilton khaki I wear just isn’t right and my Tissel Flieger A just broke.

I like a clean, minimal black face.

I’m looking at:
Timefactors Speedbird I
Timefactors new Smith W10

Used Sinn556i
Hawkinge Type 48
Vintage Smith W10

Since I was army, the Smiths heritage and broad arrow appeals more than flight cred, but I love the clean no-logo look of some of those pilots. Also prefer auto. Right now the two Timefactors are probably in the lead, but I’d welcome input from this group. Or any other suggestions.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I’m probably never going to own an IWC mkXV, but the Hamilton khaki I wear just isn’t right and my Tissel Flieger A just broke.

I like a clean, minimal black face.

I’m looking at:
Timefactors Speedbird I
Timefactors new Smith W10

Used Sinn556i
Hawkinge Type 48
Vintage Smith W10

Since I was army, the Smiths heritage and broad arrow appeals more than flight cred, but I love the clean no-logo look of some of those pilots. Also prefer auto. Right now the two Timefactors are probably in the lead, but I’d welcome input from this group. Or any other suggestions.
Well, it is broadening the search a little, but David Boettcher at vintage watch straps has a kind of sub-specialty of WWI and more generally military watches which you can see either on his site brand histories or on the customer watches I've linked. Real life shots and usually the model name is mentioned, most of which are within your budget. Some may be of interest?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christine Burns