• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I posted in this thread a month or so ago about the Tisell 43mm Flieger I purchased. Although a nice watch and a great price, it was larger than I prefer. So I sold it on eBay (remarkably for about 20% more than the retail price) and opted to track down a 40mm Flieger. Tisell had made them in the past but they sold out quickly and was saying they weren't sure if/when they'd be made again. Then, about a week ago, Tisell restocked the 40mm Flieger out of the blue, both type A and type B dials.

I received mine today and so far am very happy. The 40mm is a much better size to me and is way more comfortable to wear than the 43. I opted for the A dial this time. The 40mm version is actually a bit more expensive at $199 compared to $149 for the 43, but the 40 has a Miyota movement while the 43 has a Seagull. Still, from my research, this is easily the best value for a Flieger. If anyone's in the market for one, considering picking up a Tisell before they go out of stock again for a while.

IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the HMT Sona's turn yesterday, gaining a couple minutes over the day. I could open it and set it slower, but I don't mind being a bit early to things. The best thing about the Sona is that it fits under even my tightest cuffs.

The lizard strap is slowly gaining a burgundy-brown patina. Love the material although I'm sure it is not to everybody's taste.

IMG_20170503_132503.jpg

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ever buy a watch that you thought was totally and completely fugly, but yet somehow held the faint promise of awseomeness?

Me either.

Until now.

large.jpg

I came across this Seiko SRP236 and thought wow - this thing is so bad it could make me hate chocolate. But there was something about it...

That brown plastic strap is as vile as it appears - maybe even more so. It is tough, scratchy and feels almost indescribably cheap. It's straps like this that give synthetic straps a bad name. That was the first thing to go, in favor of a soft vintage Strapcode offering.

Next was the brown shroud. Less horrible than the strap, but the flat plasticky finish wasn't doing the watch any favors, so that was jettisoned in favor of a a Yobokies stainless steel shroud.

The end result:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at a yobokies mod right now as well: Seiko 5 version of the Omega Railmaster (without the Spectre logo though). $168 shipped.
IMG_0078.JPG

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I came across this Seiko SRP236 and thought wow - this thing is so bad it could make me hate chocolate. But there was something about it...

Good work, I agree the strap and shroud were the worst parts. If a color matching shroud can be machined / anodized that would be even better.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing with new macro lens. HMT Sona details. It is not the most precisely made thing in the world but I love it and wear it very often these days. The Thai lizard strap is browning nicely.

watch -  - 1.jpg

watch -  - 1 (1).jpg

watch -  - 1 (3).jpg

watch -  - 1 (2).jpg

watch -  - 1 (4).jpg

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I posted in this thread a month or so ago about the Tisell 43mm Flieger I purchased. Although a nice watch and a great price, it was larger than I prefer. So I sold it on eBay (remarkably for about 20% more than the retail price) and opted to track down a 40mm Flieger. Tisell had made them in the past but they sold out quickly and was saying they weren't sure if/when they'd be made again. Then, about a week ago, Tisell restocked the 40mm Flieger out of the blue, both type A and type B dials.

View attachment 536100 View attachment 536101

Hey, big thanks for the heads up! I had subscribed to Tisell for updates on the availability of this model but they never alerted me that it was back in stock. Luckily, thanks to your post, I was able to place an order. Now the wait begins...

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey, big thanks for the heads up! I had subscribed to Tisell for updates on the availability of this model but they never alerted me that it was back in stock. Luckily, thanks to your post, I was able to place an order. Now the wait begins...

Glad to hear it! Which dial/crown did you opt for?

By the way my Tisell is running pretty great so far. Seems to be gaining around 2 seconds per 24 hours.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Which dial/crown did you opt for?

By the way my Tisell is running pretty great so far. Seems to be gaining around 2 seconds per 24 hours.

Same as yours - type A and small crown for a clean and simple look. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
Picket up this from a watch company in New Zealand. Automatic STP1-11 movement with hacking seconds. The sapphire crystal has a nice curvature.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scurfa Diver One automatic today. I recently swapped out the NATO strap it came on for a PVD hex oyster from Strapcode. I couldn't be happier with the Scurfa for what I paid for it. I guess these black Diver Ones sold out pretty quickly.

File May 09, 4 09 51 PM.jpeg
File May 09, 4 10 47 PM.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads