• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Shogun is awesome and probably what I would get today if I hadn't got the one diver I need 25 years ago.

I think I've mostly seen them with white, but do they come with a black date wheel now?

The black date wheel is apparently a very simple modification. Not sure yet whether I'll make that change.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For many black faced watches (including this one), I feel that a white date wheel better balances the dial with the marker at 9, so I wouldn't change it.

Last edited:

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did a little experimenting with Nato & Zulu bands (not sure what's the difference) on my Seikos. I'm not sure, The orange band is not quite the shade I was looking for. Opinions welcome.
I can't help but feel those need leather rally straps. It may be boring, but maybe you could find a mid brown one with orange stitching to bring in that accent color with the green face. For the silver face, I would just go for straight black. For me, the orange strap overwhelms the watch and, personally, I think NATOs only work on dive watches. Nice watches! I've been thinking about getting the silver face for a while now.

Elessar

Reaction score

The green face came with a SS bracelet and the silver face came with a black strap, be aware the hands and face have a very poor contrast so it is very hard to read the watch. But in this modern computer/smart phone era, who wears a watch to tell the time?

Hey Jazz

1. The Zulu is a single strap that only goes through the spring bars. In a nato strap, the strap goes through the spring bars first and then a secondary flap that is attached to the strap itself. That was probably a bad explanation, so here's a photo

2. I think the two tone monochrome strap looks good. The orange is a bit loud for my tastes, but you might be able to pull it off? I think it does match the orange accent but the strap and face are both kinda loud, unless the dial is usually pretty subdued and only looks green in a certain light.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to why Orient doesn't make the Mako II or Ray II with white dials?

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't help but feel those need leather rally straps. It may be boring, but maybe you could find a mid brown one with orange stitching to bring in that accent color with the green face. For the silver face, I would just go for straight black. For me, the orange strap overwhelms the watch and, personally, I think NATOs only work on dive watches. Nice watches! I've been thinking about getting the silver face for a while now.

I love the orange strap on this watch!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On the topic of new PMW's, as much as I love this:
I just ordered this as its replacement (not my picture):
I just could not get over the 20 mm lugs on the Sumo and how top heavy the watch looked as a result. Should have the Shogun next week.
Great choice! The lugs on the Sumo were my main complaint with it when I owned one as well. The Sumo would definitely benefit from 22 mm lugs. Here's what I replaced my Sumo with:
Shogun with MM300 hands All that said, I'd jump at another Sumo if I could get my hands on one of the limited edition yellow or white versions for a reasonable price.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to wear it for awhile, but could see potential modifications involving the hands and a sapphire crystal someday.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if you guys follow the timezone sales corner, but I thought this vintage Omega Seamaster looked like a decent deal at $375. Photo makes it looks like rose gold case and black dial, but I think it is actually a stainless case with a green face.
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7286860&rid=0#msg_7286860

He sells pretty often and for a long time on TZ. If he says it's stainless steel and green dial, I'd believe him. Seems like a decent deal to me.

I personally prefer handwind vintage watches, and probably full rotor, rather than bumper auto.

tennisguru

Reaction score

Hey Jazz

1. The Zulu is a single strap that only goes through the spring bars. In a nato strap, the strap goes through the spring bars first and then a secondary flap that is attached to the strap itself. That was probably a bad explanation, so here's a photo

*Nerd alert* - A Zulu strap can come in 2 different flavours, 3 ring which is as you describe - a single piece of nylon (or leather/whatever material) or a 5 ring, which has the extra section of strap to help secure the watch head should one spring bar fail. A Nato (G10) strap usually come with the extra section of strap (as the 5 ring Zulu) but in the RAF pattern Nato omits this extra section as is as a 3 ring Zulu! The major differences being that a Zulu has larger, oval shaped heavy duty hoops and strap keepers, where the Nato has smaller, rectangular keepers (or on the RAF pattern a fabric keeper). Nato's tend to be made of thinner material than Zulus to accosted the extra section of strap through the keepers.

Personally I like the RAF pattern Nato over the G10 pattern and I find the hardware on the Zulu a bit "clunky"

Clear as mud :)

Elessar

Reaction score
*Nerd alert* - A Zulu strap can come in 2 different flavours, 3 ring which is as you describe - a single piece of nylon (or leather/whatever material) or a 5 ring, which has the extra section of strap to help secure the watch head should one spring bar fail. A Nato (G10) strap usually come with the extra section of strap (as the 5 ring Zulu) but in the RAF pattern Nato omits this extra section as is as a 3 ring Zulu! The major differences being that a Zulu has larger, oval shaped heavy duty hoops and strap keepers, where the Nato has smaller, rectangular keepers (or on the RAF pattern a fabric keeper). Nato's tend to be made of thinner material than Zulus to accosted the extra section of strap through the keepers.

Personally I like the RAF pattern Nato over the G10 pattern and I find the hardware on the Zulu a bit "clunky"

Clear as mud
smile.gif

Haha, clear as mud indeed!

Thank you for correcting me; looks like I've been in the wrong for the longest time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads