• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

If you're looking for a vacation watch, I would go with a diver. Then you don't have to worry about bringing it in the pool/ocean with you. I usually travel with at least two watches, but I always make sure one of them is a diver for the water resistance.

+ make sure it's on a metal strap.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Divers are great, and I think my Orange Monster is the best $200 I ever spent. But for a modestly priced and versatile casual watch, I'd go for one of its littler brothers: the Seiko 5 Military. It's a pilot style, lots of dial colour choices, looks great on a canvas strap and it's still water resistant to 100M. Best of all, it's easy to find under a hundred bucks, so pretty worry-free whatever happens.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ make sure it's on a metal strap.

+1 always buy on bracelet even if at first you don't plan on wearing it on bracelet. Cheaper than sourcing it afterwards and higher resale if you ever sell it.

Divers are great, and I think my Orange Monster is the best $200 I ever spent.  But for a modestly priced and versatile casual watch, I'd go for one of its littler brothers: the Seiko 5 Military.  It's a pilot style, lots of dial colour choices, looks great on a canvas strap and it's still water resistant to 100M.  Best of all, it's easy to find under a hundred bucks, so pretty worry-free whatever happens.

Honestly don't really trust going in the water with a watch with less than 200M rating. Also would have to have a screwdown crown for me.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Need some help. Which one to buy? primary use is for the beach and pool to bang around. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Seikos. They both wear really well. Personally, I never liked those Kinetic GMTs because they always seemed too busy for me but they have been growing on me and might make a perfect summertime pool and beach watch.

I think you made a good call on avoiding the Citizen. I've handled that particular model and was blown away with how big and heavy it is in person. The proportions definitely do not seem to work in its favor IMO.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, cross post from the watch appreciation thread because my watch likely doesn't make the cut...my first "real" watch!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Congratulations; nice understated watch - and I like how it pops off that strap. FC has some stylish stuff in the PMW bracket.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations; nice understated watch - and I like how it pops off that strap. FC has some stylish stuff in the PMW bracket.

Thanks! Speaking of straps, I actually just ordered an porosus crocodile strap for this as well. I picked this watch in particular because I think a change of the strap can change the look from casual to formal. Versatility is key because I only have one watch.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Seiko's returned, didn't like the strap on the black and gold, and the GMT didn't work correctly. Two ecozillas incoming and a tissot seastar 1000. Might just spring the extra $$$ and hit the Oris Aquis.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just cannot get enough of buying these watches!
My second Shinola in 6 weeks,
I just wish they can put a Machanical hand wind movement.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both Seiko's returned, didn't like the strap on the black and gold, and the GMT didn't work correctly. Two ecozillas incoming and a tissot seastar 1000. Might just spring the extra $$$ and hit the Oris Aquis.

Do it. Great watch for the money.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of new PMW's, as much as I love this:

I just ordered this as its replacement (not my picture):

I just could not get over the 20 mm lugs on the Sumo and how top heavy the watch looked as a result. Should have the Shogun next week.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am drawn in, but my problem is that it will likely compete for wrist time in a crowded space, so relegated to weekend wear. That is where I am questioning the value of it.

I wear it occasionally to work as it is a little dressier than you might expect, but largely wear it nights and weekends. I only (only?) have four watches for the reason that I want to wear everything in my collection on a weekly basis, so 2-3 times per week is alright with me.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Shogun is awesome and probably what I would get today if I hadn't got the one diver I need 25 years ago. I think I've mostly seen them with white, but do they come with a black date wheel now?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads