• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

What is it and do you have a better pic of the dial? Is it white or silver?

Thanks Kaplan. Here's a better pic of the dial, as i mentioned it is a subtle shade of off-white.

It's hard to capture in a pic but the light really dances off the cambered sapphire glass onto the dial :)

Last edited:

OlafG

Reaction score
Thanks.

I looked at few used ones earlier, but usually the come in at about the same price as a new one when you consider shipping from the US and EU VAT.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

I picked up an Orient Symphony off Ebay a few weeks ago. Relatively cheap watch (around $140 posted), automatic movement and it came with a steel bracelet. I preferred this over the Bambino because of the 22mm lugs and I had a few 22mm Rios cordovan bands laying around that I got for cheap (also from Ebay). It's been holding up quite well and I've received a few compliments on it.
Very classic, elegant and clear dial with fine detailing. Is it a flat or curved glass? I like it and I can see why it attracts compliments :)

Last edited:

Stebbin

Reaction score
Very classic, elegant and clear dial with fine detailing. Is it a flat or curved glass? I like it and I can see why it attracts compliments
smile.gif
It's a flat. I would have liked to try the curved glass of the Bambino but unfortunately, the lugs are 21mm - too small for my straps. However, the Symphony fits the bill nicely.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
^ Thanks. I prefer slightly domed glass but I think it's a definite hit from Orient. The baton markers are nice and gives depth to the dial. :)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted in the other watch thread but this one may be a little more appropriate:

Starting to get into watches and am debating to spend the Hamilton / Stowa /Junghans range or to move onto a little higher range at Nomos. (or any brand recs in the $500-700 / $~2000 ranges) Cost isn't a major issue but just wondering if it's better to get a "starter" watch to get used to it first or to just go in. Do prefer components and build and want something simple and reasonably versatile. And one more dumb question, is it necessary to get a rotation of watches? Or is one just fine?

Wearing a simple timex now.

JTA

Reaction score

Starting to get into watches and am debating to spend the Hamilton / Stowa /Junghans range or to move onto a little higher range at Nomos. (or any brand recs in the $500-700 / $~2000 ranges) Cost isn't a major issue but just wondering if it's better to get a "starter" watch to get used to it first or to just go in. Do prefer components and build and want something simple and reasonably versatile. And one more dumb question, is it necessary to get a rotation of watches? Or is one just fine?

For the above $1,000 price bracket I'll consider Sinn also if I were you. Nevertheless between those four (Hamilton/Stowa/Junghans or Nomos) and if money isn't an issue for you, personally I would go with Nomos.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

I suggest Tissot or Longines for your budget :)

For a versatile watch I suggest one that tends to the dressy side but has water resistance of 100m to make it durable for sporty use.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Also it's an interesting question about rotation of watches. I think in the past, traditionally, mostly people wore one watch for life or until they replace it. My dad has a Big Rose Tudor that he bought in 1967 and wore it every day for 30 years until he retired it. He still has it tucked away. Anyway, what I mean to say is, while I can see the reasons for rotating a number of watches for different occasions, however the advantage of being a one-watch guy is that you are more likely to form a bond with a watch that you wear all the time through the course of life. I steer a compromise, I have a number of watches but wear one watch predominantly, which is my Universal because of its versatility (I can dress it up or down, change its leather deployant for its bracelet instead and go swimming with it or whatever) and also because I've had it since childhood and its been through thick and thin with me :)

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score
Lurker on (and admirer of) this thread for a while, I have questions that someone here maybe can answer. As I understand it, a leather watch strap can be put on a watch made with a metal bracelet, provided the watch cases and bands are the same sizes. For those not especially DIY-inclined in this area, is this usually a time-consuming procedure for a jeweler to do? Roughly how expensive should it be? Watches in the Citizen Eco-Drive and Seiko Solar families are what I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lurker on (and admirer of) this thread for a while, I have questions that someone here maybe can answer. As I understand it, a leather watch strap can be put on a watch made with a metal bracelet, provided the watch cases and bands are the same sizes. For those not especially DIY-inclined in this area, is this usually a time-consuming procedure for a jeweler to do? Roughly how expensive should it be? Watches in the Citizen Eco-Drive and Seiko Solar families are what I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

It should take a competent jeweler 10 minutes to switch out a band. Some of the Seikos (and probably Citizens as well) have an extra little "collar" pin and sometimes that can add to the amount of time. Maybe allot an extra 30 seconds to a minute for the job. :nodding: If you wanted to DIY, there are some videos out there on YouTube that walk you through the process and it's very simple to do at home, even for the non-DIY inclined.

As for the cost - if you are buying a band from a jeweler, there should be no additional cost to have them swapped out. If you just take in the watch and the new band to a jeweler, I cannot imagine they would charge you much for the work. Maybe $10?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads