• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The average woman you meet can't tell a Polerouter from a Patek. But they all know a Sub is a "nice watch." And that's likely why your successful real estate agent is wearing one.

Yes, as I said, Rolex is a status symbol. More than being a "nice watch", it reveals that the wearer is a successful man.
This does not mean that they are not nice and good watches, but all the hype is clearly not justifiable with quality alone.

FPB

Reaction score
My Dad was an RAF pilot from 1936 to 1958 and I have his watch. Looks very similar to this but it’s Longines. I priced them on eBay or maybe some watch forum a couple of years ago and the going rate was around $2k IIRC.
The watch looks positively tiny compared to today’s standards so I’d probably never wear it but I’d probably never sell it either!

It was nice to see a version of this watch feature in the ‘Dunkirk’ film worn by Tom Hardy one of the Spitfire pilots.I think he had it strapped to his thigh.

Awesome watch. That's a piece of history; don't ever sell it!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore my JLC Weems Mark VII for the first time yesterday. I bought this in October for $50 at a local antique store. I think that they priced it wrong but I wasn't about to argue. I service my own watches but I'm too chickenshit to take this one on. Sure, breaking a pivot on a Bulova or a Hamilton or a Seiko sucks, but at least parts are [usually] readily available. JLC is in a category by itself. So one of these days I'll have to send it off to JLC for a service I did finally remove the bracelet so I could run it through the ultrasonic. Lots of DNA.
View attachment 1911705

My Dad was an RAF pilot from 1936 to 1958 and I have his watch. Looks very similar to this but it’s Longines. I priced them on eBay or maybe some watch forum a couple of years ago and the going rate was around $2k IIRC.
The watch looks positively tiny compared to today’s standards so I’d probably never wear it but I’d probably never sell it either!

View attachment 1911735

It was nice to see a version of this watch feature in the ‘Dunkirk’ film worn by Tom Hardy one of the Spitfire pilots.I think he had it strapped to his thigh.

Both very cool watches!

What's with the big crown at the 4:00 position?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1911735

That's a beautiful piece. You should wear it! My mom's uncle was a USAF navigator on a B17 who was shot down over France. I'd love to see his issue piece. And my grandpa was a USAF fighter pilot in Korea. Sadly he died shortly before I started collecting so I never asked him what he was issued.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful piece. You should wear it! My mom's uncle was a USAF navigator on a B17 who was shot down over France. I'd love to see his issue piece. And my grandpa was a USAF fighter pilot in Korea. Sadly he died shortly before I started collecting so I never asked him what he was issued.
I vaguely remember the watch originally having a steel expandable bracelet (not sure if that was the original issue) - the kind that nips the hairs on your wrist. I think my (late) Mam had told me it was originally on a leather strap so that’s why I put the above strap on. She also said she remembers a RAF issue watch my Dad had that had a pink face which I’m assuming was patina as that seems a very rare and unlikely colour for anything military. I asked her about it and she said it had been so long that maybe he had to turn it in when he resigned his commission. This of course predates my birth so it’s lost to history now but I would be curious what sort of watches were issued to RAF pilots over the years. I still have his 1950s aviator sunglasses and some other cool swag!

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6954.jpg

Just noticed when posting this the crown was out, who knew posting to SF could be useful IRL.

FPB

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite seller/brand for leather straps? There's a million sellers out there. I don't want to spend >$150 but I don't want junk either.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FPB

Reaction score
Alpina is very underrated. I've got a pilot heritage with the hunter case back and sometimes I think it's my favorite watch of my small collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads