• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone versed in updating watch movements? I have the original Seiko Cocktail Time and I really like it. Does well in the office as it shines very blue under fluorescent lights. Keeps really squishy time, though. My Sub is 21 years old, never serviced, and still within COSC standards. This is off by +30 secs a day I think (will test it next week). Not a fair comparison between watches of course but I think it would be cool find an economical upgrade. Case is 40mm and 13.1mm thick.

Any ideas? Too silly to contemplate?

View attachment 1731426

I would not modify. Get it serviced and just adjust as needed. Beautiful piece!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are microbrands using the same 6R15 movement in your watch that regulate them to COSC standards, so it can be achieved. The problem with Seiko is that it does little to nothing to regulate the watches before it ships them out, so you never know whether you are getting one that is +5 or +30. Seiko's are also prone to variations in accuracy based on positioning (due to the lower beat frequency), so always do better when worn regularly or when you determine the most accurate storing position (usually dial up). I'd get it regulated by someone that knows Seiko movements and continue to enjoy it.
Huh. I actually never thought of that. I just assumed the movement was completely pedestrian, worse than an unmodified ETA 2824-2 or SW.

I’ll research it, thanks!!!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+30 sec / day for a seiko is probably within specs
I agree. Thought it would be cool to scare up a better movement and have it installed. Will research having it regulated, though. Found this:

“Seiko claims an accuracy rating of -15/+25 seconds per day in normal temperature conditions (between 5 – 35 degrees C).”

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree. Thought it would be cool to scare up a better movement and have it installed. Will research having it regulated, though. Found this:

“Seiko claims an accuracy rating of -15/+25 seconds per day in normal temperature conditions (between 5 – 35 degrees C).”

How often do you wear it?

ErikW

Reaction score
Time for an upgrade? SBGY003 is nice, but MUCH more expensive. For what it's worth, I don't think a 30 second per day difference is that terrible. If I REALLY need to know the time down to the second, I'll just grab my phone.

16137419-tbxuqckuza0wm8mkjvjmq2ph-ExtraLarge.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do you wear it?
Not as often as I’d like to. Would like it more accurate. I’ll set and check it daily next week to reconfirm accuracy. It’s been a while.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not as often as I’d like to. Would like it more accurate. I’ll set and check it daily next week to reconfirm accuracy. It’s been a while.

Unless you train Usain Bolt, I really would not stress it!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have on a SKX009 right now. Really cool "beater". Even if I wear it for 2-3 straight days, I may have to adjust it a bit.

I do understand your need to have it as accurate as possible. It is a great looking piece. I just can't really be bothered.

If someone asks you for the time and you are off a few seconds, blame it on global warming!

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, but Tudor is such poor value, imo.
It's not cheap but there is nothing particularly interesting about it from a horological point of view, and it does not have the social clout, aka stigma or "social tax", of its big bad brother rolex.
It doesn't even have the prestige and heritage of lesser big swiss watches like omega, iwc, etc.
Good thing Walt Odets didn't open up a tudor...
I suspect its resale values don't hold up well either.
But of course mr Kappelan's tudor looks nice for what it is.
But again, the hour hand is an acquired taste.

It is better to educate yourself before making statements.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have on a SKX009 right now. Really cool "beater". Even if I wear it for 2-3 straight days, I may have to adjust it a bit.

I do understand your need to have it as accurate as possible. It is a great looking piece. I just can't really be bothered.

If someone asks you for the time and you are off a few seconds, blame it on global warming!
Last time I wore it regularly I would get annoyed that it was off by a few minutes at the end of the week. It mocked me and my instinct was to kill it...

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I am done with mechanical Seikos for now. I have 3 Seiko on the 6R35 movement. Two Baby Alpinists and one SPB143J1. Only one watch is running somewhat accurately. Never had anything like this with any of my Swiss watches.

tweedlover

Reaction score
Time for an upgrade? SBGY003 is nice, but MUCH more expensive. For what it's worth, I don't think a 30 second per day difference is that terrible. If I REALLY need to know the time down to the second, I'll just grab my phone.

16137419-tbxuqckuza0wm8mkjvjmq2ph-ExtraLarge.jpg
I don't own a cell phone, but agree with the gist of your statement. Vast majority of watches at all price points track time with (to me) satisfactory accuracy. So, (also to me), it's simply aesthetics that determines desire for a watch. Now, I'm not a watch collector. Just received my third wristwatch as a Christmas present. All 3 watches I own were bought and/or requested based on the appearance of their bracelets, (I'm not a strap fan), not the watch itself, per se. 2 of them Southwestern pieces heavy on the turquoise which I particularly enjoy.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you use this as a compass? Or are the direction markers for something different?

Point the hour hand towards the sun. Halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is due south if you’re in the Northern Hemisphere.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own a cell phone, but agree with the gist of your statement. Vast majority of watches at all price points track time with (to me) satisfactory accuracy. So, (also to me), it's simply aesthetics that determines desire for a watch. Now, I'm not a watch collector. Just received my third wristwatch as a Christmas present. All 3 watches I own were bought and/or requested based on the appearance of their bracelets, (I'm not a strap fan), not the watch itself, per se. 2 of them Southwestern pieces heavy on the turquoise which I particularly enjoy.
You don't own a cell phone?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member