• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me again! Anybody familiar with this brand? Maranez Layan
I like it, can be had for $200, Seiko automatic movement.

I just noticed roman numerals on top and Arabic numbers on bottom, not quite sure about that.

Yeah this is called a California dial - it's used so divers can easily tell which part of the watch they're looking at underwater

Here's a panerai example

The internet tempted me with this watch. I kind of like it. Under $300. 'What y'all think"

It's playing off that red tudor, not bad I suppose. What's that extra bar on the bottom there?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Ferragamo is a fairly standard looking dive watch in a non traditional colour. But what bugs me is that Ferragamo is a shoe maker. Like Gucci. If I'm going to buy a name brand watch I'm going to buy it from a brand famous for making watches not shoes. Even at the lower budget PMW level there are plenty of watch makers turning out very decent watches including divers without the need to go to a shoe maker to buy a watch from.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That Ferragamo is a fairly standard looking dive watch in a non traditional colour. But what bugs me is that Ferragamo is a shoe maker. Like Gucci. If I'm going to buy a name brand watch I'm going to buy it from a brand famous for making watches not shoes. Even at the lower budget PMW level there are plenty of watch makers turning out very decent watches including divers without the need to go to a shoe maker to buy a watch from.

Agreed, bet it's not even a Sapphire crystal too.

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Avoid the ferragamo; probably just a chinese fashion watch. Also the white date wheel clashes.

As for Maranez, they are a well regarded microbrand. I have a green california dial model that I am selling elsewhere to thin out my collection, but it has been rock solid (jacuzzi hot water + jets no problem). 300m WR, domed AR sapphire, auto and handwinding. Its a good deal even at their price of $300

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just bought this for my son, who is a high school junior.

Hope he likes it.

Great looking watch and if it's your son's style, I'm sure he'll love it!

For value, I think it's hard to beat Steinhart. I've been wearing my Ocean One quite a bit over the past couple of weeks.

I'm on the Gnomon Watches email list and have been tempted more than once to buy a second Steinhart based on their marketing. Every time I see a photo of one of the Ocean 44 GMT or the Ocean Vintage GMT I have to resist the urge to pull the trigger.

As for buying watches as gifts, I had a dilemma recently as I wanted to buy a watch for a congratulatory gift for my nephew/godson who recently graduated college and then the police academy and is getting sworn in on a local force next week. I was really leaning towards either a Seiko Orange Monster or a SKX007 since I think they are both awesome watches that can be a gateway drug into the watch hobby but after thinking about it, and what I know about him, I ended up going with a Casio G-Shock Rangeman which I think is more up his alley since he's all into tech-type stuff.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Am I the only one with a distaste for sub homages? I understand its an iconic design, but its also readily associated with the Rolex brand, and there are so many unique, classy designs out there that stand out on their own (some even with just tweaks to the standard sub design), that I cant really get on board with the imitation classic sub look.

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one with a distaste for sub homages? I understand its an iconic design, but its also readily associated with the Rolex brand, and there are so many unique, classy designs out there that stand out on their own (some even with just tweaks to the standard sub design), that I cant really get on board with the imitation classic sub look.

Given how common they are, I actually wonder if your average non-watch person even associates the design with Rolex.

Satmoche

Reaction score

Given how common they are, I actually wonder if your average non-watch person even associates the design with Rolex.

I quite like the sub look and own a Tudor Black Bay Blue - ETA. It looks different from a sub as the bezel is not the same - looks and touch, you do have the rose on the dial and crown, the clicking sound that the bezel makes and so on... It is obviously not as original as a Hublot - whether you like them or not, or a Jaquet Droz.
I do not look at it as a homage or as a cheap alternative, it is a diver's watch on its own - eventhough it is owned and built by Rolex except for the movement.
I suppose that it is just a "common" look that has been popularised by Rolex.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I quite like the sub look and own a Tudor Black Bay Blue - ETA. It looks different from a sub as the bezel is not the same - looks and touch, you do have the rose on the dial and crown, the clicking sound that the bezel makes and so on... It is obviously not as original as a Hublot - whether you like them or not, or a Jaquet Droz.
I do not look at it as a homage or as a cheap alternative, it is a diver's watch on its own - eventhough it is owned and built by Rolex except for the movement.
I suppose that it is just a "common" look that has been popularised by Rolex.

Tudor BB design replicate the very first Rolex sub. But it doesn't take anything away form it. While Rolex is looking forward - Tudor is looking back to the archives/heritage. Rolex is too conservative to make changes to their line ups and doing so on their Tudor line.
I have BB Red and absolutely love it.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Omega Seamaster looks amazing if you are looking for a Sub alternative. Also, strictly speaking the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original dive watch, so is the Sub an homage watch as well? :)

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Omega Seamaster looks amazing if you are looking for a Sub alternative. Also, strictly speaking the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original dive watch, so is the Sub an homage watch as well? :)

The Seamaster's not exactly a PMW, though. Unless you're looking at vintage...and even if you are, Omega seems to be one of those brands that holds its value very well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads