• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

apost

Reaction score
Hello Gents, although I joined this forum some years ago, I rarely post, just use it for authorative information and reference. So, recently I got this watch but i have no idea what brand this is and could not find any information on google either. Does anybody know anything about this jsp company?

PR1234

Reaction score
Hello Gents, although I joined this forum some years ago, I rarely post, just use it for authorative information and reference. So, recently I got this watch but i have no idea what brand this is and could not find any information on google either. Does anybody know anything about this jsp company?

That looks like the John Player Special logo - a quick google search has brought up this webpage with a more basic version of your watch for sale, it doesn't have much information though.
http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,244092281,var,Vintage-JPS-John-Player-Special-Waterproof-Gents-Quartz-Watch-Swiss-made,language,E.html

PR1234

Reaction score
Was looking for a subtle cheap automatic and ended up buying an old Seiko 5 on ebay which arrived from India today. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what I've got - the advert described it as a refurbished 7009A from between 1971 and 1983, but it looks fairly modern to me and doesn't look like any of the watches with 7009 in their names on the Seiko 5 Finder website. It came on a metal bracelet but I had already bought a NATO strap for it so put it straight on that. The face has more of an enamel/gold tinge to it which doesn't come across in the photos and I'm not entirely sure the white on the strap looks good against that.

The only concern I have is that there seems to be a metallic scraping sound sometimes when the watch is moved, it seems a bit louder that the whirling I had expected. I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

After a week of having this watch (back in July) I decided to send it back to the seller for a refund because the ad said that it was in perfect working condition. The refund finally came through this week, so treated myself to a new Seiko 5 bought off the internet! Made sure I was buying new off Amazon this time though!

So this is what I've got now:

It's an SNKD99K1, haven't seem very much written about them on the internet generally. Very similar looks to one of the Grand Seikos. Very happy with it, except that the lugs are very wide so the springbar that the strap attaches to is only about 10mm wide at most. Unfortunately this means I can't put my NATO strap on it, which was a consideration when choosing the style of watch. Going to try and source a suitable blown leather strap instead, if any suitable ones exist?

Swell

Reaction score
eaa39be7f70877283a4859c0519c1962.jpg

Lately sometimes I'm getting a bit annoyed by the rattling of my Ray, doubting whether I should buy a SKX007. Dial of the Ray is still awesome under certain angles in sunlight.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eaa39be7f70877283a4859c0519c1962.jpg

Lately sometimes I'm getting a bit annoyed by the rattling of my Ray, doubting whether I should buy a SKX007. Dial of the Ray is still awesome under certain angles in sunlight.

Easy enough - put the Ray on a NATO, or better yet a Isofrane (or equivalent) rubber strap.

Swell

Reaction score

Quote:

Easy enough - put the Ray on a NATO, or better yet a Isofrane (or equivalent) rubber strap.
Not a solution, it's not the band that is rattling, it's inside the watch unfortunately.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ looks like the Daniel Wellington my GF bought me.

Such a classic design. I always wonder why Omega stopped making the 1950s Seamaster.

rocinante

Reaction score
No,not yet received. Massdrop will ship it from USA later this month.
They have to receive the bulk delivery from the supplier and them re-pack it for all the individual customers before delivery.
It's a tedious process!

Personally, I'm not in a hurry for the watch. So, this timing is not an issue for me ....but I guess most people
will prefer to shop on Amazon even if the cost is slightly more as they can receive the order within days.

rocinante

Reaction score

This is the Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto. It comes in 2 sizes; 42mm & 38mm. I've tried on both sizes and prefer the 38mm for this dress watch
on my wrist. I don't usually like metal bands but this band with small links seems to especially suit the elegant look on the watch.
The slightly domed sapphire crystal glass also adds a nice touch. The main attraction is that silvered dial.

I did not buy it as yet because I have another dress watch on the way from Massdrop but this available for US$ 559 at Jomashop.com.
Reference; H38455151
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/timeless-classic/intra-matic-auto/h38455151

Neognosis

Reaction score
I have been considering an intra-mastic for some time. I likely will buy one after the holidays, but the lack of a second hand has me a little apprehensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads