• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Devoti

Reaction score
Last edited:

plot

Reaction score

kashmir

Reaction score
I went through the watch snob thing. I'm not sure whether dude is legit or marketing. Can be both, can be either, I don't know... There are some things to be learned from the snobbery itself as well as the content... staying away from garish stuff is one.

skrishnan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Suj and I'm the owner of the Melbourne Custom Watch site.

Basically I'm an enthusiast in Melbourne, Australia who after building many watches for friends and family decided to offer them to the public, primarily via the Watchuseek forum.

My goal is to provide hand assembled watches that are affordable when compared to the big names like Laco, Stowa etc and that are also a cut above the generic cheapies flooding eBay like Parnis etc.

My approach is to offer up pieces as I build them rather than have a standard offering that I churn out. This way I can keep thing unique and offer variations on movements, straps, dials and hands etc.

That pilot looks like the same thing (actually a bit worse) you can get from Laco, Parnis, etc, and Parnis goes for less than $100.

Dougie, ebay or watch prince.

Thanks for your comment edmorel - I'm not sure how'd you say that my watches look worse than Parnis at $100. For starters, the quality of their cases is terrible (I've owned a few for research purposes!) and they don't have sapphire glass. They also don't use Sea-Gull movements, but instead a cheaper "hangzhou" varietal that is not in the same league. They also fit $2 fake leather straps which are just horrible and their dials are hardly luminous - overall you get what you pay for.

I am providing sand blasted and hand finished cases with sapphire glass, quality german leather straps and proper Sea-Gull ST36 or ETA 6497/8 movements. Also, I think you need to check your facts as Swiss movement Laco watches are usually well upwards of $500 new.

Perhaps this will give you a better idea, the watch in pic is the same, the website posted this pic with 7" wrist.

All depends on your style and the look you want. For me it's way too big, I have a smaller wrist (6.5) and I prefer smaller watches. I think if your going this big, make sure the quality of the finish and appearance is nice, it's big so people are going to see it. Having said that it looks like it has a nice clean dial and case finish, the glass is sapphire which is a very nice detail in this price range. 7" isn't a small wrist, not massive either so it will a matter of preference.

If this is too big but like the look, try looking at Vollmer/Aristo or Laco watches, they vary in price & quality but the one above looks a bit better in finish/clean. Very subtle details make huge differences in watches.

If you get one, post some pics I'll be curious see how it looks.

Good luck

Thanks for the comments Devoti - that's actually my wrist in the photo - excuse the hairy arms!

If you want to know what the finish is like from someone else, there's a review of one of my ST-36 movement watches in the WUS thread which I gave away via a competition. There are also higher quality photos taken by the winner.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/of...eger-thread-now-proudly-offer-wus-874221.html

Thanks guys!

skrishnan

Reaction score
Also FYI this is how they look in a business casual setting :) yep...I have a day job sadly!

5utugemu.jpg

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not much of a Pan man myself but this article is really, really dumb.

I think it was an attempt at humor, albeit a weak one. Perhaps it means that now that the watch snobs no longer like Panerai, that the cool guys can wear them again.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do poor men who buy mechanical watches get them serviced and repaired?

Quartz watch? It is just a matter of battery change; but mechanical watches require regular cleaning and servicing.

In London there used to be a watch repair area centred around Clerkenwell. Nowadays there are only a few places left there. Some only open a couple of days a week.

Nobody ever mentions servicing their watches.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it worth paying more for the 819? The only real difference I can see is the movement (which I can't find any reviews of) and sapphire glass.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Servicing watches probably hasn't been mentioned because we just flip them on eBay before they start running out of spec and buy new ones.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it worth paying more for the 819? The only real difference I can see is the movement (which I can't find any reviews of) and sapphire glass.

The more expensive one has a movement similar (clone) of the ETA 2824-2. They also state that the case is better. Is it? They both have sapphire glass.

Also, I think the dial looks better and will probably be a bit more reliable.

RW...nice Seiko.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads