• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

redboat

Reaction score
With the weakening Yen, the Seiko "Cocktail Time" SARB065 has gone below $500 delivered. Automatic with 40 mm diameter and a see-through back. Pretty tempting...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With the weakening Yen...

I took advantage of the Yen's decline recently and picked up the Seiko Alpinist (SARB017).

My poor photography skills do not do justice to the deep emerald green face on this.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a cocktail time and an alpinist. Gorgeous watches. Maybe it is about time...

Devoti

Reaction score
If your looking for a cheap black dial watch (quartz), check out Soki's pilot watch ($10 incl ship.) on *Bay. There's a bunch of reviews on them on WatchuSeek forums.

Bought the watch for traveling in the rough and it worked great. 40mm case, surprisingly the finish was pretty nice.

You'll need to change the strap (21/22mm) and change the battery (easy fix), battery didn't last that long (8 months) but the time was spot on the whole time. Put a Martac NATO strap ($9+) on it and your good to go. I actually got compliments on it.

For about $20 bucks total it's hard to go wrong and almost equal in quality to a Jcrew Timex version ($150) and a little bigger but looks almost identical. Soki is just ever so slightly more matte finish than Jcrews case.

Last edited:

Firefox

Reaction score
Just replace the strap yourself. Who cares what it "comes with"
Actually, I was just curious about what it would look like. I don't ever see photos of S5's with leather straps, so I'm just wondering if the leather strap just doesn't work with it looks-wise.

Devoti

Reaction score
I've been thinking it might be a good idea to put together a hierarchical list of "good" watches at the 3 figure and below price point similar to the hierarchical suit thread. The question is what criteria should be used? I'm not sure that quartz or non-in-house movements should be ruled out, for instance, but I do think classic style in line with conservative business dress and good build quality need to be in the criteria. I'll post more later when I'm not drunk.

I think this is a really good idea, you know your watches and I think good info for newbie's or cash strapped members would be very helpful.

Maybe make a guide/selction/suggestion of watches new & used for business dress (suits) & formal evening wear. Another guide for casual, jeans and weekends.

Also info & basic guide on how to find a good used watch/vintage and what to avoid. There are a lot of really cool old watches that sell for very little on ebay but many newbies are scared because they don't know what to look for in a watch or know what to do if it needs work.

I would think $750 max or less for a poor mans watch (not quartz) but under $350 is probably better. I think quartz would be ok but I agree it needs be cheap and good quality/value ($250 max), I know I like to use one when traveling in the rough, like when I go surfing in central america. A lot times I throw the only watch in a drawer for a week and it's nice to pull it out, see that's still working and telling good time (so not to miss plane the flight).

Sheldon Brown did this for bikes and it's now considered the bible.

GuP

Reaction score
First versatile watch that can be dressed up or worn casual -

So far I have sinn 556 - should I just get it or are there other to seriously consider? I already have a white dial antrella and am looking for something other than a white dial.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First versatile watch that can be dressed up or worn casual -

So far I have sinn 556 - should I just get it or are there other to seriously consider? I already have a white dial antrella and am looking for something other than a white dial.

In that price range? I'm sure there are many but that come to mind. Stowa Antea or Pilot. Junghans Max Bill or 6060-2. Vintage watches 38mm or higher like a Seamaster. Nomos Club (used of course). Hamilton Khaki. Longines.

I'm a Sinn fan though. A higher price model that can fill both roles is their financial district watch. 6060?

GuP

Reaction score

In that price range? I'm sure there are many but that come to mind. Stowa Antea or Pilot. Junghans Max Bill or 6060-2. Vintage watches 38mm or higher like a Seamaster. Nomos Club (used of course). Hamilton Khaki. Longines.

I'm a Sinn fan though. A higher price model that can fill both roles is their financial district watch. 6060?

The sinn 6060 is nice, but over budget. I am trying to stay below 1k and already have a white dial poljot strella chronograph that I picked up from B&s here.

Edit - I have tiny wrists like 6.5 to 7 inches. What's the largest watch I can wear without looking goofy?

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The sinn 6060 is nice, but over budget. I am trying to stay below 1k and already have a white dial poljot strella chronograph that I picked up from B&s here.

Edit - I have tiny wrists like 6.5 to 7 inches. What's the largest watch I can wear without looking goofy?

Size wise, a dress watch to me is anything that will fit under your cuff. Otherwise, wear what you like.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi