• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Politicians dress code

Aluan

Reaction score
Then again, Daniel Patrick Moynihan was known to wear bow ties and tweeds.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MKB
Navy suit, white shirt, red tie= American flag= I can be trusted. That's what I read (albeit a long time ago).

In America , the colours are de rigueur like the infamous pin lapel..

The more flags the better...

It is lacking authenticity to anyone with a bit of political understanding but it is working on the masses...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when I most recent Prime Minister came into office he was roundly criticised for a "flashy" pink striped tie. And a former leader was criticised for wearing Italian suits rather than the less stylish locally made alternatives.

At least our current PM has that one covered by ensuring he wears his fake RM Williams boots everywhere - even to bed.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there was an article about this over the weekend in one of the british papers, maybe the telgraph

Octavio Interrupted

Reaction score
If we can move away from insane pseudo-political ranting and homophobic panic for just a moment: I think the reasoning behind the clothes politicians wear is the same as the reasoning behind the things politicians say: they eliminate everything that can be spun negatively by their opponents, and what's left is what they wear. Of course it has to be a certain amount of "dressy," or they'll be perceived as unserious, but it can't be too flashy, or they'll be portrayed as out of touch with the common man, or worse, fruity. (Apparently getting away from homophobic panic isn't as easy as I thought.) Everything politicians do (and, increasingly, everything period) comes down to controlling spin.

That was an excellent point several posts back about the red, white, and blue thing. It's a testament to the powerful subliminal effect of that tactic that, even having noticed for over a year that the basic Obama uniform consists of blue suit white shirt red tie, almost always, I never actually made the connection to the flag. But I did vote for him, so, there you have it, I guess!

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Corniche is so cool.

Seriously. Right-wingers in America are mostly bible-thumpers or amateur economists. I would like to get to know more European conservatives like this guy: asshole-ish, but with a certain flair.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Those suits look cheap, the shirt cuffs are hidden, totally baggy, non matching shoes etc.

Of course I am a true european, and I love style. Nothing to be with politics here.

and that seersucker name even sounds gay to me.

Do you avoid navy suits as well? Or charcoal? I was at a wedding this weekend, and I saw everything you list on navy/charcoal suits, but I'm not going to stop wearing them because other people have no taste. All of the complaints you levy against it have nothing to do with seersucker suits in general, but the way those particular people wear them. I'm just curious as to whether you dislike the fabric or the people in the pictures.

As far as the "gay" remark, there's not much I can do about your homophobia. I certainly can't change a term that's been in use for 300 years.

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Corniche is so cool.
Thanks man
Originally Posted by munchausen
Seriously. Right-wingers in America are mostly bible-thumpers or amateur economists. I would like to get to know more European conservatives like this guy: asshole-ish, but with a certain flair.
Thanks for the " compliments?¿" ?
Originally Posted by MrG
Do you avoid navy suits as well? Or charcoal? I was at a wedding this weekend, and I saw everything you list on navy/charcoal suits, but I'm not going to stop wearing them because other people have no taste. All of the complaints you levy against it have nothing to do with seersucker suits in general, but the way those particular people wear them. I'm just curious as to whether you dislike the fabric or the people in the pictures. As far as the "gay" remark, there's not much I can do about your homophobia. I certainly can't change a term that's been in use for 300 years.
Ey man I am not homophobic as I love Platon , Pim Fortuny and Jorg Haider. all gays. ( And I collect Versace floral ties) What I hate is the apology of the **** world as we are suffering in Spain. I was throught out last week of my late night economic class by a gay communist for defending the free trade world and Israel. What a commie dictator anti semitic he is! But we suffer a president of his kind allied of muslim terrorist, foe of the free trade and Israel.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
with 5 **** ministers incluided for your info.

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Corniche is so cool.

How can I quote this great sentence to my signature as some other does with me?

Thanks

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Octavio Interrupted
If we can move away from insane pseudo-political ranting and homophobic panic for just a moment: I think the reasoning behind the clothes politicians wear is the same as the reasoning behind the things politicians say: they eliminate everything that can be spun negatively by their opponents, and what's left is what they wear. Of course it has to be a certain amount of "dressy," or they'll be perceived as unserious, but it can't be too flashy, or they'll be portrayed as out of touch with the common man, or worse, fruity. (Apparently getting away from homophobic panic isn't as easy as I thought.) Everything politicians do (and, increasingly, everything period) comes down to controlling spin. That was an excellent point several posts back about the red, white, and blue thing. It's a testament to the powerful subliminal effect of that tactic that, even having noticed for over a year that the basic Obama uniform consists of blue suit white shirt red tie, almost always, I never actually made the connection to the flag. But I did vote for him, so, there you have it, I guess!
Ah subliminal effect make lumpen proletarian ( sorry for you) to vote . That´s why I always defended that the right to vote must be only for those who get a IQ higher than 100 and never, never to workers or low class ones who are easy to manipulate. The future of mankind can´t be at the hands of mediocre people unable to create anything but follow orders to live. Here is the result, mediocre leaders manipulating more mediocre people and corruption all aboard. As Platon said, only philosophers should govern. I hate those who work by their hands. Aristoteles.

mccvi

Reaction score
Ah subliminal effect make lumpen proletarian ( sorry for you) to vote . That´s why I always defended that the right to vote must be only for those who get a IQ higher than 100 and never, never to workers or low class ones who are easy to manipulate.

The future of mankind can´t be at the hands of mediocre people unable to create anything but follow orders to live.

Here is the result, mediocre leaders manipulating more mediocre people and corruption all aboard.

As Platon said, only philosophers should govern. I hate those who work by their hands. Aristoteles.

Brilliant. This guy is brilliant.

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
Brilliant. This guy is brilliant.

Thanks, sorry to say I can´t say the same about you. But you can improve... that´s in what I believe, evolution.

mccvi

Reaction score
Thanks, sorry to say I can´t say the same about you. But you can improve... that´s in what I believe, evolution.
Actually, that's an incorrect usage of evolution (back to the Spanish-English dictionary for you). But seriously, you're brilliant.

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
Actually, that's an incorrect usage of evolution (back to the Spanish-English dictionary for you).

But seriously, you're brilliant.

I mean evolution in the Darwin sense. evolution:

English definition

Pocket Oxford Spanish Dictionary Â
00a9.png
2005 Oxford University Press:
evolution /'evə'lu:ʃən / ||/ˌi:və'lu:ʃən/ n uncountable
evolución f

Evolucion; evolution, seems correct. ?¿?¿
eh.gif
Thanks for your compliments again. What made you change your mind about me? Just curious
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads