• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique My Suit - (56K Warning)

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I picked up this suit this evening. I'd like some advice and opinions before I take it to the tailor. Also, about how much would this suit cost at retail? It is fully canvassed and made by Isaia of Super 150s wool. I was always under the impression that Valentino suits were crappy. What gives? This picture was taken from a low point of view since I sat the camera on the table.
P1000660-1.jpg
P1000649.jpg
Ignore the crumpled sleeves, please.
shog[1].gif
P1000647.jpg
P1000645.jpg
P1000640.jpg
P1000635.jpg
I also picked up this coat.
P1000655.jpg
P1000656.jpg
Thanks!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something about the front of the coat (the suit coat) looks off. It seems almost too full.

I don't like the lapels personally.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the waist is very messy and the jacket seems to be a touch long (i like my jackets to be a tad shorter especially on DB's), same with sleeves. doesn't look like a very versatile pattern, imo.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a little lose fitting in the shoulders and the sleeves of the jcaket and over coat are too long. Plus you don't really have the right body type for double breasted , besides there not really instyle anyways right now.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It only cost me $160 NWT and is probably the highest quality suit I own. I normally wear a 38R and this is a 40R. I just want to make it fit me since even if I have to put some money into it the suit will still be a good deal.

Of course I can always sell it on eBay.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It's a little lose fitting in the shoulders and the sleeves of the jcaket and over coat are too long. Plus you don't really have the right body type for double breasted , besides there not really instyle anyways right now.

I agree with you on all counts. Considering that I paid $160 should I keep it?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't mind experimenting with your $160, maybe you should try letting in the waist, and shorten the sleeves and the trousers, and post back what happens.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Nice fabric -- you have some problems with the shoulders and I don't know enough about tailoring to know if they can be solved.

I would not worry about a DB being out of fashion - they are never in fashion so how can they be out of fashion.

I leave fashion for something for the ladies to worry about every six months.

Good Luck, Jim.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Hey everyone. I picked up this suit this evening. I'd like some advice and opinions before I take it to the tailor. Also, about how much would this suit cost at retail? It is fully canvassed and made by Isaia of Super 150s wool. I was always under the impression that Valentino suits were crappy. What gives? This picture was taken from a low point of view since I sat the camera on the table.
P1000649.jpg
Ignore the crumpled sleeves, please.
shog[1].gif
P1000647.jpg
Thanks!

I have always found Valentino to have to much fabric in the shoulder area, which will screw up the front back balance. Try having someone pinning the back, from a gradual 0 at about the same hight as where the shoulder pads meet the sleeves (actually between mid pad and 1/3 up) to about mid/upper waist (tapering back to 0). Looks like the shoulder pads are to wide, pictures would have been better with a simple shirt without french/double cuffs. And you have a shirt problem above the hemline at the right side. But in the end this suit might be a size to big. Speed

mrpologuy

Reaction score
It looks a little long and a little baggy to me. I would agree with the others who say it is a size big.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a size too big.

$160 is a great price, for a good quality fabrics.

How much would it be to have it all tailored ( sleeve lenght, skirt lenght, waist, shoulders? trousers waist ? ) $140 ?

That gives $300 for a canvas suit.... that is a good price

ccffm1

Reaction score
I concur with the above posters. The suit is one size too big. As it was only 160 bucks, so if you´re willing to spend another $$ 140 or 160, you´ll have a nice and well made suit for a good price. Make sure that you use a competent tailor, though. Some of the alterations that´ll have to be done are rather tricky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads