1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pink Chinos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrgoblueguy, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Well-Known Member

What color shirts are safe to wear with pink chinos? I was told white was the only safe color to wear. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again..

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Pink, did you loose a dare? No offense, I have no problem with salmon colored shirts, but chinos. And by the way, they are never pink, they are salmon on a man.

3. mrgoblueguy

I wa sthinking of a light blue almost powder blue. I was told that was a not a good idea and to wear only white.

4. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

If you're already wearing pink pants, I don't think now is the time to start worrying about being ostentatious.

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Â [​IMG]

6. newyorker

newyorker Well-Known Member

White would be most suitable I think.

Light blue and light beige (not light yellow) might work also but the combination of pastels might make one look like one's in nursery.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

8. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

Or cotton candy.

Dan

9. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

In what context? Where do you plan on wearing them?

10. The Dandy

The Dandy Active Member

I wore a light blue shirt with pink pants just last Saturday. I have no idea why you'd restrict yourself to just white. Who gave you this idea?

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member

As a fellow New Englander, I too have a pair of Nantucket Red (aka pink) chinos, and as the weather warms up I'm excited to start wearing them again.

I wear them with white button downs, and white or black polo shirts. I tried light blue, but felt the end result looked a little too colorful and cartoon like.

-boston

12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

finally somewhere for policy to wear his pink socks while not breaking the rules.

13. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Ditto

14. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

15. mrgoblueguy

I work in a department store and asked one of the people who dress the display models and he told me light blue.

16. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Not to sound sexist, but I'm willing to guess these people were either (a.) women, (b.) people with educations in visual arts, or (c.) both. Wearing a pink bottom with a light blue top is common enough for women but not for men in most circles. I used to sell clothing, too, and I could usually spot a man whose wife dressed him: his colors were more like those donned by women, not by men. Probably 90% of the pastel pink-and-green-and-yellow minicheck dress shirts we sold were bought by wives, and a great many of those were returned by husbands.

This is not to say that the colors themselves would not look good together; indeed, they would complement each other nicely. However, such a combination on a man who is serious about his wardrobe would probably be just a bit much. I'd go with the suggestions of white or gray, and maybe a dark blue (depending on the exact hue of your pants).

EDIT: Okay, okay, I just reread the very passage I quoted and saw that the advisor here was a man. Still, I stand firmly behind what I said.

17. scnupe7

scnupe7 Well-Known Member

What about black? I see females wearing pink bottoms and back tops often.

18. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Obviously there are color/combination areas where men and women overlap. My point was that there are also certain combinations that are predominantly male or female, and a man wearing one of the basically "female" combinations runs the risk of (a.) receiving negative reactions (to his face OR behind his back) and/or (b.) looking like his wife dressed him. Those who visit this board, by the very fact that they are here participating, generally wish to avoid both.

However, I should add (as much of an individualist as I am) that if people are aware of these concepts and still wish to dress in certain manners, then more power to them. I don't wish to dictate others' styles, only to raise their awareness of style's workings and consequences as much as I'm capable of doing so.

19. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

I think that while some pastel-on-pastel action looks okay, one runs the risk of looking Easter-eggish. Â If you're doing resort-wear, or a church picnic, then that's probably okay. Â But for everyday wear, I'd tend to recommend a bit more contrast such as the navy, gray, black, or even hunter greens. Â Try it with royal blue. Â I would say kelly green, but then you'd look too much as if you just walked off the pages of The Official Preppy Handbook. Â I think the most important advice with wearing pink is to wear it with confidence. Side note: Â There was an article on pink for men in the Dallas Morning News this week. Â Here's the link, but if it requires registration, I can just post it here. Â And BTW, I would NOT recommend wearing pink the way this Hilfiger model did.. Â DMN Pink Article

20. mrgoblueguy

I live in Warren, which is just north of Detroit.