• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink Chinos

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I work in a department store and asked one of the people who dress the display models and he told me light blue.
Not to sound sexist, but I'm willing to guess these people were either (a.) women, (b.) people with educations in visual arts, or (c.) both. Wearing a pink bottom with a light blue top is common enough for women but not for men in most circles. I used to sell clothing, too, and I could usually spot a man whose wife dressed him: his colors were more like those donned by women, not by men. Probably 90% of the pastel pink-and-green-and-yellow minicheck dress shirts we sold were bought by wives, and a great many of those were returned by husbands.

This is not to say that the colors themselves would not look good together; indeed, they would complement each other nicely. However, such a combination on a man who is serious about his wardrobe would probably be just a bit much. I'd go with the suggestions of white or gray, and maybe a dark blue (depending on the exact hue of your pants).

EDIT: Okay, okay, I just reread the very passage I quoted and saw that the advisor here was a man. Still, I stand firmly behind what I said.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about black? I see females wearing pink bottoms and back tops often.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Obviously there are color/combination areas where men and women overlap. My point was that there are also certain combinations that are predominantly male or female, and a man wearing one of the basically "female" combinations runs the risk of (a.) receiving negative reactions (to his face OR behind his back) and/or (b.) looking like his wife dressed him. Those who visit this board, by the very fact that they are here participating, generally wish to avoid both.

However, I should add (as much of an individualist as I am) that if people are aware of these concepts and still wish to dress in certain manners, then more power to them. I don't wish to dictate others' styles, only to raise their awareness of style's workings and consequences as much as I'm capable of doing so.

Jill

Reaction score
I think that while some pastel-on-pastel action looks okay, one runs the risk of looking Easter-eggish. Â If you're doing resort-wear, or a church picnic, then that's probably okay. Â But for everyday wear, I'd tend to recommend a bit more contrast such as the navy, gray, black, or even hunter greens. Â Try it with royal blue. Â I would say kelly green, but then you'd look too much as if you just walked off the pages of The Official Preppy Handbook. Â I think the most important advice with wearing pink is to wear it with confidence. Side note: Â There was an article on pink for men in the Dallas Morning News this week. Â Here's the link, but if it requires registration, I can just post it here. Â And BTW, I would NOT recommend wearing pink the way this Hilfiger model did.. Â DMN Pink Article

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
If i am going to wear a light blue shirt, what color belt and shoes do I wear?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt in the south we would wear white bucs, and I would recomend a cotton style belt to match the shirt.

tgfny

Reaction score
Brown croc loafers and belt, no socks.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Turquoise and white both work very well. Hell, wear a turquoise sweater with a white shirt underneath. I love pink chinos, it's a very bold thing to wear and when done right it commands fashion respect. Oh, and with pink chinos, I wear white Helmut Lang loafers.
smile.gif

Mike

Reaction score
I live in Warren, which is just north of Detroit.
Where did you find these chinos? I was born in Hamtramck and grew up there and Sterling Heights so I'm interested in the where.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
The chinos are made by Ralph Lauren and can be found at Marshall Fields or ordered from the website. They also have peach and neon green chinos as well. I would love to have the ones that are green with pink flamngos on them, but it is not in my budget right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads