• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pictures of TWEED WAISTCOATS

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
I've made the decision to buy a proper tweed odd-waistcoat, the only problem is that there are very few pictures floating around the inter-web or "real life" people wearing stylish waistcoats to provide inspiration.

At first I thought I'd like a full-on country tweed check, then brown herringbone, now navy - i'm sure it'll change again tomorrow! Lapel or no lapel, breast pockets or not? I'm having trouble deciding, so show me your waistcoats boys! This is a call for all tweedsters to strut their stuff!

Cheers and open the flood gates.........!

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed waistcoats are great for causal layering.

My ideal style would be single breasted, 4-5 button, two pocket, shawl lapel waistcoat, with point ends.

The key is to have less button so it looks less formal by showing more.

I have something that is made like this at the moment.

Last edited:

PTWilliams

Reaction score
If you have it made you can get a matching cap. I'm having 3 caps made and was thinking of going for a waistcoat as well, but then decided I could get that at a later time.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
I'm thinking that Bookster is perhaps my best bet (I've received some cloth samples already) but I'm still pondering style options.

Any pics guys?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bookster is really good by all reports. I've spoken with them quite a few times and have always gotten excellent service from them.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've made the decision to buy a proper tweed odd-waistcoat, the only problem is that there are very few pictures floating around the inter-web or "real life" people wearing stylish waistcoats to provide inspiration.
At first I thought I'd like a full-on country tweed check, then brown herringbone, now navy - i'm sure it'll change again tomorrow! Lapel or no lapel, breast pockets or not? I'm having trouble deciding, so show me your waistcoats boys! This is a call for all tweedsters to strut their stuff!
Cheers and open the flood gates.........!

Because most "real life people" don't wear stylish waistcoats.
I wore them years ago with sport coats, but the style basically vanished
at least in the US with the passing of the Ivy look in the 70s. I can recall
the Paul Stuart windows in New York which often featured odd vests
(not tweed) with dressy suits- grey with blue, for example.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Which we can presume to mean that "real people" aren't terribly stylish! Vests turn a three-season light suit into a year-rounder. They give you the option of an odd vest under a contrasting suit or a British style matching coat and vest over odd trousers. Of course the opposite (matching vest and trousers with odd jacket) is equally stylish. I agree with 911_11's take on the fewer buttons for informality, especially under a tweed (or corduroy) jacket. Y'gotta love 'em.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
So then a more versatile waistcoat would look something like: 5 button, 2 pocket, tweed without lapels (although I really like those lapels!)

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples. But you should really be in the SW&D forum, since its not really MC approved way of dressing.

I mean have you seen the NYC Tweed run?

In any case, the pics and the styles are out there. I am a fan of Rugby, and they make some decent tweed waistcoats. Nothing in their current line though, but RRL is better quality and I am pretty sure they have something for you:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...88158&prodFindSrc=cart&sProdEvar=Shopping+Bag

pPOLO2-13165217_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are plenty of examples. But you should really be in the SW&D forum, since its not really MC approved way of dressing.
I mean have you seen the NYC Tweed run?
In any case, the pics and the styles are out there. I am a fan of Rugby, and they make some decent tweed waistcoats. Nothing in their current line though, but RRL is better quality and I am pretty sure they have something for you:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...88158&prodFindSrc=cart&sProdEvar=Shopping+Bag
pPOLO2-13165217_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

This looks like the Lauren version of a Shooting vest. Not usually worn with a a sport coat.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This looks like the Lauren version of a Shooting vest. Not usually worn with a a sport coat.

It doesn't look like it...it is exactly that. It's not the 'Lauren' version, its the RRL version, big difference.

Also, OP didn't say he wanted to wear it with a sport coat...

But I agree, its not a 'proper' waistcoat, its a hunting/shooting type

Last edited:

OlSarge

Reaction score
There's an "MC approved way of dressing"? I presume your sarcasm is dripping down and flowing across the floor. Approved by whom and who cares?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's an "MC approved way of dressing"?  I presume your sarcasm is dripping down and flowing across the floor.  Approved by whom and who cares? 

I don't know if you realize, but MC is not the forum for wearing something casually. OP wasn't entirely clear about how he planned on wearing it. Most people I encounter who do plan on buying a tweed waistcoat for casual wear do so with denim and khakis. So nothing wrong with advising him to maybe ask the people in the SW&D thread.

Nonetheless, I still was able to contribute to the thread by giving him a specific product that he may or may not fancy for himself.

Here's a pic since OP asked:

image.axd

and a video:

And some more pics:

image.axd

208115886_640.jpg

pPOLO2-10753211_standard_dt.jpg

pPOLO2-13391290_standard_v360x480.jpg

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One with lapels:

03010161.jpg

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input so far, to clarify; I plan to wear the waistcoat both with an odd jacket key and as well as without a jacket (casual)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads