• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Cancelled my Pediwear order, now onto Bodiley's for the right size!

Might as well share a shot of my Alfred Sargent Cambridge on the 87 last, out in the very wild this morning:

AS Cambrige Dagestad 87F.jpg

Two years of wear now, brushed everyday and conditioned three times a year. It's surprising how routine brushing goes a long way.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys inspired me to pick up two pairs of lasted trees from Bodilys today. Especially in my suede chukkas they are much better than the generic trees I had in there before. All of the ripples are gone. I didn't buy them for my beater boots or my patent leather formal oxfords. I figure my generic trees are good enough for opposite reasons. The boots need a complete refurbishment anyway - the heel cups are crushed, etc. The formal oxfords are worn only once or twice a year and were on huge discount. The lasted trees might be more than the shoes cost.

I only wish I had gotten lasted trees for my special GMTO on a handgrade last (I think it was 48). Nobody carries those lasted trees, or ever did. You had to order them with the shoes.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the same pair from AFPOS, mine look a tad darker.

When I bought them the sensations on my feet where contradictory, the sole was stiff but the uppers extreamly soft. Once I broke they are one of my most comfortable boots.

View attachment 1599384 View attachment 1599385
Agreed, I find the itshide commando sole very comfortable and hardy. They were comfortable from the start, probably a function of how they fit my particular feet.

SumDude

Reaction score
Hey Gents want to know some of your thoughts:

I think these shoes will soon be discontinued... once sold they will be gone. I've never gone so bold with my shoes ... all just one tone, classic and traditional with everything i own...

But i'm veryyyy veryyy drawn to these for some reason. Any tips on how to dress with them? The combo of suede and leather looks so nice.

These shoes are sold by HERRING but they are MANUFACTURED BY ALFRED SARGENT on the 109 last (quite possibly my favorite last !!!)

I know this is an old post but wondering your thoughts on these. They recently caught my eye too and are on sale.

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Looking forward to Paul Sargent’s new venture, I was so intrigued I just had to pull the trigger: Good as new Alfred Sargent Exclusive Line ‘Ramsey’ on the 99 last in UK 6.5, from UK based pre-worn shop Abbot’s Shoes.

I’m only used to the 87 in UK 6, so I was surprised to find the 99 last extraordinarily, incredibly snug even when half a size larger. With effort these will break in nicely and be super comfortable after a few months ?

075E34AB-CB8F-4165-B073-34873C07050B.jpeg

I am very impressed of the stitch density, counting a breathtaking 10 spi on the welt, and an amazingly tight waist for a quality dress shoe in this price segment.

C33D1CF9-116A-4C5E-B887-130818EB40A5.jpeg

Can’t wait to see what Paul Sargent & Co. is up to ?

Edit. PS. Does anyone know what tannery AS bought their leather uppers from for this serie of Exclusive Line shoes?

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Alfred Sargent shoe factory is in liquidation. I feel their shoes were misappreciated by most style folk. After A.S. applied what they learned from the co-operation with Gaziano&Girling, I think their dress shoes offered more value than Crockett&Jones -- and C&J seems to be the most often mentioned benchmark of great value pairs.

There's an in-depth and interesting interview with Paul Sargent about his future endeavours on this excellent blog:

https://shoegazing.com/2021/02/21/interview-paul-sargent-of-alfred-sargent/

OzWino

Reaction score
Can anyone describe the differences between the lasts for Moore and Armfield? I'm just trying to understand my foot as I find the Moore a lot more comfortable after a long day.

Next question, can anyone recommend other brands and lasts similar to Moore?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone describe the differences between the lasts for Moore and Armfield? I'm just trying to understand my foot as I find the Moore a lot more comfortable after a long day.

I don't have the Armfield and I don't think I have anything on the 109 last, so I can't comment on it specifically.

I have both the Moore in oxblood and the Crockett and Jones Westbourne in chestnut. They are both Adelaide semi-brogues on a chisel last. The AS has more shaping in the waist and better finishing to the sole. The Moore also has a taller heel. I find the C&J to have more supple leather. I think the C&J 348 last fits similarly to the AS 724 last, although I don't remember if I'm in the same size in both or off by 1/2 size.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gaziano Girling. Look at St. JAmes II.

Groover

Reaction score
Looking forward to Paul Sargent’s new venture, I was so intrigued I just had to pull the trigger: Good as new Alfred Sargent Exclusive Line ‘Ramsey’ on the 99 last in UK 6.5, from UK based pre-worn shop Abbot’s Shoes.

I’m only used to the 87 in UK 6, so I was surprised to find the 99 last extraordinarily, incredibly snug even when half a size larger. With effort these will break in nicely and be super comfortable after a few months ?

View attachment 1604915

I am very impressed of the stitch density, counting a breathtaking 10 spi on the welt, and an amazingly tight waist for a quality dress shoe in this price segment.

View attachment 1604916

Can’t wait to see what Paul Sargent & Co. is up to ?

Edit. PS. Does anyone know what tannery AS bought their leather uppers from for this serie of Exclusive Line shoes?

Home - Charles F Stead and Co Ltd. (cfstead.com)

or

Wholesale Leather Supplier, UK Leather Merchants (aacrack.co.uk)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads