• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over the Shoulders, Under the Knees: Long Coats

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2017_1111_15345300-01.jpg

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recently bought a long coat (ts(s) grey wool chesterfield) and even as someone who's short and thought i could never wear long coats...i know understand the hype.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't sell that schneider. looks better than other things you've talked about wanting recently IMO.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah it's one of those things that looks a lot better than it feels, if that makes sense.
The arm holes are high and tight, upper arm is tight, I can barely fit a long sleeve shirt under it...
But it looks dope.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's one of those things that looks a lot better than it feels, if that makes sense.
The arm holes are high and tight, upper arm is tight, I can barely fit a long sleeve shirt under it...
But it looks dope.
That coat is one of my regrets... Tried it on at Notre (I think they were the only store with that color) and really liked it but decided not to buy it because of the length - IIRC its pretty much the same length regardless of size, so on someone like you or Synthese its knee length / just below the knee, whereas for me even in a IV it was at least mid-calf length. All the same, I'm tempted to get it if one in my size pops up and either just deal with the length or hem it couple inches.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Hm, I must say it confuses me a bit that in a long-coat thread people worry about coats extending below the knee...
Anyway if you look at what the usual suspects (Dries, VĂŞtements/Balenciaga, Off-white, Y-3 etc.) have been doing the last few seasons, I wouldn't worry too much about having things hemmed. With mid-calf length, or even longer than that, you'll be wearing just what has been and will be trending for a while. 3/4 lengths are decidedly falling out of favour!

Last edited:

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Just back from a brief trip to New York. Tried on several seriously big/long coats, and also bought a couple of them.

Began with the huge padded Balenciaga coat from this season. Didn't buy though, because nobody had the black version (www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/balenciaga/black-kering-padded-raincoat/2185587) in my size anymore. It's massive; I'm wearing the blue colorway in a size extra-small here:
Balenciaga.jpg

But would have much preferred the black colorway, too bad it seems to be sold out everywhere in my size.

Will post pics of what I did buy later, when I get around to taking pictures of/in it...

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look good, last one is a bit too martial/costumey but Burberry loves that stuff obviously. Generous lapels are important too.

But yeah, I many cases vintage is the way to go for that kind of stuff. Much more rewarding too imo.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn you tall people. i love coats that fall to mid-calf but at 5'10" they swamp me.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, most current "long" coats -- that are not really that long-- might actually look well proportioned on you.

I can't count how many times I've been fooled into thinking I'd found something of decent length only to look at the measurements and realize that this coat that looks great on this Japanese dude would only barely cover my knees.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_4883.JPG
here's an example, really like this wooyoungmi, beautiful material and drape. but just feel the length is too much for me :-(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads