• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outsourcing most of my shoe care

Reaction score
I know many people on this forum love to take care of their shoes and thank you for your dedication to the hobby! Still, I love wearing my shoes (classic menswear, leather soled), but would prefer to spend as little time as possible taking care of them and still have them look good enough for NYC business wear. I do walk a lot on city sidewalks (2+ miles per day). I don't have a lot of space, time, skill, or tolerance in my home for shoe shining, but I have access to a decent neighborhood shoe shine shop where I'm willing to spend.

I put cedar shoe trees in every night, and never wear the same pair two days in a row.

So I'm looking for general advice about a "minimal in-house, outsource the rest" plan especially
  • the bare minimum that is "must do" at home
  • when to go to a neighborhood place vs. a specialty shop like B. Nelson
  • after how many wearings I should bring them to be cleaned/shined
Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you can do that but honestly it’s not as time consuming as you think.

Unless you are abusing your footwear, I condition my shoes with a shoe cream once every 3-4 months depending on wear and then just brush lightly after each wear. Insert shoe trees and that's about it.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brush off any dirt when you put them away. Give them a quick buff (five seconds) with a shoeshine brush when you put them on. Get them shined when they look dull. Carry on with regular daily activities.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your standard leather shoe (i.e not shell, snuff, etc.) - care is a lot simpler when you get a good wax base. Much easier to deal with scuffs to the wax than to the leather itself. With Saphir, that's pretty easy. About 20 min time on new shoes. Brush dirt off, use a cloth to buff out scuffs. When that gets to be problematic, time for another 20 min session. You'll spend more time taking them somewhere then it takes to do it yourself. How often you need to do really depends on you and your environment. Certainly not, IMO, worth the money to mail them somewhere/back and pay for the service.

jack webb

Reaction score
Every night I wipe down the shoes (or leather sneakers) I wore - including soles - with a damp paper towel or leather-cleaning wipes. If something looks in need of a shoe shine, that's what rainy days are for.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brush mine with a horsehair brush before and after wearing. For polishing, I do it when the shoes begin to look a little dull. If I get a scuff, I give it a quick polish to clean it up again.

IMO, the most important part is the brushing before and after wearing.

For bad weather, get some galoshes (overshoes).

Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers. To help with the "depending on wear" context, I will be rotating through enough pairs that each will be worn approximately once a week. About 2 miles of sidewalk walking per day, using rubber soled shoes or galoshes for bad weather (although NYC sidewalks are hardly pristine and wet patches are sometimes unavoidable even on dry days because of the maintenance guys spraying down the sidewalks in the morning). So following dieworkwear's pattern it would be a full shine after about 25 wearings, or 13-17 wearings for maxalex.

One of the advantages of being in Manhattan and walking a lot is visiting a shoe shop doesn't add any time to my daily routine at all.

Sounds like something like this is an emerging plan:
  • first time use:
    • bring new shoes to a specialty shop like B. Nelson for a first Saphir shine to get a good base
  • after each wearing
    • wipe down with damp paper towel or leather cleaning wipe
    • brush after each wearing with a horsehair brush, insert shoe trees before putting them away
  • every 20-ish wearings or when dull/scufffed
    • bring them to a pro for a re-polish

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers. To help with the "depending on wear" context, I will be rotating through enough pairs that each will be worn approximately once a week. About 2 miles of sidewalk walking per day, using rubber soled shoes or galoshes for bad weather (although NYC sidewalks are hardly pristine and wet patches are sometimes unavoidable even on dry days because of the maintenance guys spraying down the sidewalks in the morning). So following dieworkwear's pattern it would be a full shine after about 25 wearings, or 13-17 wearings for maxalex.

One of the advantages of being in Manhattan and walking a lot is visiting a shoe shop doesn't add any time to my daily routine at all.

Sounds like something like this is an emerging plan:
  • first time use:
    • bring new shoes to a specialty shop like B. Nelson for a first Saphir shine to get a good base
  • after each wearing
    • wipe down with damp paper towel or leather cleaning wipe
    • brush after each wearing with a horsehair brush, insert shoe trees before putting them away
  • every 20-ish wearings or when dull/scufffed
    • bring them to a pro for a re-polish

If we're talking minimum effort, that's more work than I do.

I think you can just brush them when they're dusty and polish them when you think they need a polish. Frequency can be very, very low.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I lived in NY, getting a pro shine at Grand Central—sitting in the chair and reading Page Six of the Post—was a morning ritual. Go ahead and get ‘em shined if you enjoy the experience.

But these days it doesn’t come cheap. Last time I was in NY I think a midtown shine was around ten bucks although that may have included the “tip” that’s obligatory in America.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave R