• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on shoes with suit

Reeves1985

Reaction score
i have a wedding coming up and i am wondering if i can wear oxblood/burgundy brogues with the suit.

the suit is

and the shoes are:

i'm unsure as the suit jacket has a black accent to the collar.

Also what tie colour would you reccomend

All opinions welcome thanks

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit shouldn't have an accented collar like that. Return if possible. Regardless, unless the wedding is quite formal, burgundy shoes should be fine. Tie color shouldn't be black, pale, or very similar to the suit color - after that, time of day and personal coloring help narrow the choices. And that's presuming a white shirt.

Reeves1985

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply
Shirt will be plain white and still undecided on the tie

The thing with the suit is I actually really like the look feel and fit but am a bit dubious about the accent collar

Having been looking at various different suits it does seem to be quite a common with grey suits having black accents

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return the suit - the collar and other jetting in a different colour are a nonsense.

I hope it fits better than that image - it is dreadful and certainly not the sign of a vendor or manufacturer who knows what he is doing. Coat, trousers and sleeves too short. The shoes might be OK with light grey - the only saving grace in your dreadful plan.

Rarely has such a dreadful proposal appeared here, thankfully.

n2da2nd

Reaction score
Return the suit, you'll regret later down the road. Rock it with a brown oxford if you dare.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would reccomend neither this suit or shoes for a wedding or anywhere else. A chesterfield collar? lol. When you say you have a wedding coming up, does this mean you are the groom? or guest? Either way, I would not recommend brogued wingtips. A Cap-toe balmoral is in order in Black, Burgundy or Oxblood.
Please state your location and budget. We'll try to help from there.
Welcome to Styleforum Reeves1985.

Last edited:

Reeves1985

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

I have tried the suit on which does fit a lot better than the image (which I admit isn't the best)
I am a guest at the wedding not the groom
I'm located in the uk if that helps

The suit is not a definite by any means but I don't want to be spending a fortune on it either just being a guest

Regards the shoes brogues seem to be the in thing here at the moment

I have always liked burgandy/oxblood shoes but again everything is open to suggestions and change thanks

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes with a grey suit - especially in England. Brown shoes with that, not to mention the teddy boy inspired chesterfield collar, and you'll just end up looking like a footballer.

I'd really advise getting a different suit - it's the type of thing you'll look back at photographs of and think "What was I wearing?"

Last edited:

Harrydog

Reaction score
I don't like the suit, don't like the shoes. So at least you have consistency going for you. Everyone can stand having a good, basic gray suit. That doesn't fit the bill. With the black accents, it looks like it is trying to be a tuxedo. Just go with a solid mid-gray suit. The shoes look cheap. Go for a balmoral not a derby (that means closed lacing vs. open lacing.). If this is your first foray into suits and "dressing up," black is definitely the wisest choice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies guys

I have tried the suit on which does fit a lot better than the image (which I admit isn't the best)
I am a guest at the wedding not the groom
I'm located in the uk if that helps

The suit is not a definite by any means but I don't want to be spending a fortune on it either just being a guest

Regards the shoes brogues seem to be the in thing here at the moment

I have always liked burgandy/oxblood shoes but again everything is open to suggestions and change thanks

If you are in the UK, just start again, Fancy dress does not look right at all.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, as a man, you need a mid-grey suit, black oxford shoes, and burgundy shoes. For this wedding, for the next one, for the next cocktail party, for the next interview, for the next baptism, etc etc etc... The suit pictured above is definitely not ideal. There's no reason you should settle for less than ideal.

Last edited:

Reeves1985

Reaction score
Thanks guys
After considering what's been posted I have decided to return the suit and opted instead for a mid grey without any silly accents or highlights

Still open in regards shoes as again I can still change my min on them as I haven't purchased them yet

Reeves1985

Reaction score
Thanks for the links unfortunately I'm in the uk but it gives me a indication so style etc

I have however found a pair of medium to dark brown shoes cap toe style which I had lying in a cupboard which match the new suit very well (the one in the pic has been returned and the new suit is a ever so slightly lighter grey but still a mid grey)

All that is left is shirt colour and tie combo

I would prefer something different to the usual white shirt though

So any ideas on that are welcome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads