• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinion on my new custom made suitsupply trousers!!

nghuan15

Reaction score
Recently I ordered a custom made tuxedo trousers to match with my db jacket. I am new to suit and all stuff, to me the front looks okay, but the back of the trouser looks off, can you guy tell me why? also should I return it?
IMG_0172.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42

paxonus

Reaction score
Too tight under the seat/upper thigh. The easiest way to avoid this is to have the trousers cut in a straight line down from the widest point at the hips to the hem, tapering the width as it goes to the hem. This will give a perfectly straight drape with no wrinkles. But it comes at the expense of a very full cut.

To get a slimmer cut the tapering needs to start by curving slightly under the seat before dropping straight to the hem. If the curve is excessive, you get the wrinkling you see. They are also too tight at the calf. Although I can't tell from the photos, they are probably also too tight at the hem. The hem shouldn't be less than 8 inches on a 34 inch waist for a clean drape--personally I would go closer to 8.5. One caveat: the trousers need to pair well in fit with the jacket. A full cut trouser with a slim fitting jacket may have a good drape, but will look mismatched.

Bearing all that in mind, those trousers are unacceptable.

nghuan15

Reaction score
Too tight under the seat/upper thigh. The easiest way to avoid this is to have the trousers cut in a straight line down from the widest point at the hips to the hem, tapering the width as it goes to the hem. This will give a perfectly straight drape with no wrinkles. But it comes at the expense of a very full cut.

To get a slimmer cut the tapering needs to start by curving slightly under the seat before dropping straight to the hem. If the curve is excessive, you get the wrinkling you see. They are also too tight at the calf. Although I can't tell from the photos, they are probably also too tight at the hem. The hem shouldn't be less than 8 inches on a 34 inch waist for a clean drape--personally I would go closer to 8.5. One caveat: the trousers need to pair well in fit with the jacket. A full cut trouser with a slim fitting jacket may have a good drape, but will look mismatched.

Bearing all that in mind, those trousers are unacceptable.
Thank you a lot for your opinion. I agree with what you said, it has too many wrinkles in the thigh. By the way, do you think this trouser that I had before fits better than the one above? To me it is more roomier, but I feel somewhat shorter than my height.
Should I keep it or buy a new trousers
dji_mimo_20240621_121318_20240621121319_1718965120211_photo.jpeg
dji_mimo_20240621_121354_20240621121355_1718965120115_photo.jpeg

KOz

Reaction score
Thank you a lot for your opinion. I agree with what you said, it has too many wrinkles in the thigh. By the way, do you think this trouser that I had before fits better than the one above? To me it is more roomier, but I feel somewhat shorter than my height.
View attachment 2203519 View attachment 2203521
These ones are much better, although still a bit short (at least for my taste).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with @KOz - your older trousers look so much better than the newer pair. Also agree that they are slightly short for my taste but passable. Honestly if it were up to me, I'd consider going wider. I am guessing they are 7.5" or less at the hem? In any case, I don't think they make you look shorter than your newer pair.

paxonus

Reaction score
View attachment 2203519 View attachment 2203521
These are much better. I also agree with the other posters that they are too short. That is the reason why they make you feel shorter. If you want to increase how tall you look, make your trousers longer. To do that you need to widen the hem.

The slimness of fit does not necessarily increase the appearance of height. The length of the trousers does, coupled with a clean drape--no wrinkling, and some break at the cuff. To achieve that you need more width all the way from top to bottom.

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%