• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my first bespoke commission ever. Photo is from my second fitting and there will be some adjustments on jacket - making chest and shoulders smaller, the quarters will be more open and rounded. The fabric is tweed from Harrisons WB12112.

I'm also thinking about shortening the jacket... What do you guys think?

I would say that proportions would look better with less extended shoulder and a slightly longer jacket, but man, it looks very good. I think members would appreciate detailed shots to evaluate the finishing but you seem to have found a good tailor.

BTW, orange is my favourite colour so I really like the cloth.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some more pictures of progress on my shooting jacket. My last fitting was back in May, but I don't think I'll get the finished jacket this year. Pictures courtesy of Matthew and Edwin DeBoise. This is Edwin modeling my jacket. We are going to remove the breast bellows pocket. Otherwise, it looks ready to be finished, to me.
Do you shoot?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my first bespoke commission ever. Photo is from my second fitting and there will be some adjustments on jacket - making chest and shoulders smaller, the quarters will be more open and rounded. The fabric is tweed from Harrisons [COLOR=333333]WB12112.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I'm also thinking about shortening the jacket... What do you guys think?[/COLOR]
Looks like your tailor out steeded Steed. Also, if you are going to be wearing your jacket at this length i would recommend a bit more taper in your trousers
Gentlemen, thank you all for your responses! I'm pleasantly shocked about kindness of people in this thread! The chest thing - I must say it's worse in real life then in photos. Actually there is a fold of fabric and canvas between my armpits and middle button. When you take a look at the waist line and then take a look at the sleeve line (where it attaches to the body) you see the line in between is disturbed by bulky chest. Quarters - most of my OTR jackets looks like this. So I decided that I want to try something new - thus the decision to have more rounded and open quarters (something like B&Tailor style).
There is a lot of drape built into the jacket. It should break in nice if you keep wearing it.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some more pictures of progress on my shooting jacket. My last fitting was back in May, but I don't think I'll get the finished jacket this year. Pictures courtesy of Matthew and Edwin DeBoise. This is Edwin modeling my jacket. We are going to remove the breast bellows pocket. Otherwise, it looks ready to be finished, to me.
Those patch pockets are HUGE.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shooting coat, the pockets are made to hold shotgun shells, that is why they are HUGE.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my first bespoke commission ever. Photo is from my second fitting and there will be some adjustments on jacket - making chest and shoulders smaller, the quarters will be more open and rounded. The fabric is tweed from Harrisons [COLOR=333333]WB12112.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I'm also thinking about shortening the jacket... What do you guys think?[/COLOR]
Congratulations on making that tweed up especially on a first commission! Been looking at that swatch for a long time. If it was me I wouldn't shorten it, if anything I'd put on an extra 3/4" I would also take the side body in a touch to give a little more shape in the waist. I'd leave the chest and shoulder but drop the armhole to clean up the drape in the chest. I also think it's cutaway enough but it's your jacket.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a shooting coat, the pockets are made to hold shotgun shells, that is why they are HUGE.

patch pockets to shoot the ****.

Congratulations on making that tweed up especially on a first commission! Been looking at that swatch for a long time.

If it was me I wouldn't shorten it, if anything I'd put on an extra 3/4" I would also take the side body in a touch to give a little more shape in the waist. I'd leave the chest and shoulder but drop the armhole to clean up the drape in the chest. I also think it's cutaway enough but it's your jacket.

I wouldn't do it with that amount of drape built into the jacket. The chest is too low and will look pinched if he takes it in at the waist. Perhaps its best to make the changes on a new commission.

Last edited:

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palo, a brown fair isle sweater would work really well with your pumpkin tweed. Great choice in cloth

Would suggest you try some dark brown colored trousers

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take that as a 'no'.

Actually, I shoot trap. Well, I used to. Haven't in a while. And this jacket won't go within miles of a shooting range.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those patch pockets are HUGE.

They're bellows pockets, unlike the inverted pleat patch pockets you posted. They are cut from a template that belonged to Edwin's grandfather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads