• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obligatory annual #menswear order with the 3 piece tweed.
View attachment 2250589 View attachment 2250591
Thing is with this kind of work the cutting is just not good here, Its how you finish (so don't worry) but by god if they had a good pattern maker I think these tailors would get to where they are going a lot faster. Not to pick on you, a lot of fit pics in this section look the same.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PXL_20240929_205757974.jpg

So this is what that 'Cheeseball' suit I posted last week looks like finished. I didn't get personal pics while picking it up but inevitably 'Pick it up' meant 'do one last fitting after we've done finishing so that we're satisfied it looks the way we want it to.' I'm under no illusions that the tailor I'm working with is competitive with, say, Rubi or Steed, but I'm beginning to see the advantage of having a local tailor that you can work with and develop a pattern with to develop garments over time.

I think that the vest that I had made with this is lack luster, but that's not to say that I regret having it made. I did a thing I've always wanted, basically since I started coming to this forum: I now have a three piece FU plaid that would make Prince Edward proud. It's loud. It's ostentatious, and it plays with formality in a way I do love ever so much. The pattern matching is excellent. Because of the plaid I went in and you can see when it's off by one or two stitches, and that's fascinating to me. It's so precise and well done. I get that it will not be everyone on the forvm's cup of tea, but I've been around long enough to be willing to argue that it's of sufficient quality and style to present as an allowed variant within the community. Argue with me about the details and their congruity. I welcome it. I thought about that. I made specific decisions. I've seen plenty of custom garments put forward on this forum and, while I'll cede its iconoclasm, I'll argue that it meets the technical standards set by the community, which are, what I'd argue, the things that really provide value from SF.

As a completely unrelated topic: In the process of waiting for some final changes to be made, my 9 year old, who was with me, decided he wanted to get in on the action. So, he ordered his very first shirt ever. I feel so proud and glad that I could share this with him. I never figured that my love for clothing would be something that I'd be able to share with my kids, but he loves coming to the tailor and looking at fittings and I know that he'll be tickled pink the first time he tries on his first garment and he realizes that it was just a bunch of cloth that's now made up for him. I think I'm going to call the tailor on Monday and tell them to order a shirt for me, so that he and I can have matching shirts made up. They've already made one for me so they've my measurements on file, and I can think of very little that will be... core memory forming than sharing this experience with him and making it something we do together.

It helps that he chose a good fabric that I'm totally down to have made up as well.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The final (probably) fitting for my 1000g LL cashmere Doppio Uso. I also saw an identical coat headed to Minnesota. I wanted different buttons from the Minny version but was outvoted 2-1 by my wife and tailor. It should be ready for a January delivery.
IMG_7270.jpeg
IMG_7277.jpeg

IMG_7291.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The final (probably) fitting for my 1000g LL cashmere Doppio Uso. I also saw an identical coat headed to Minnesota. I wanted different buttons from the Minny version but was outvoted 2-1 by my wife and tailor. It should be ready for a January delivery.
View attachment 2254839 View attachment 2254841
View attachment 2254843
What buttons did qemal use for this? I don’t think I’ve ever requested specific buttons on any garment. I let them just do their thing.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What buttons did qemal use for this? I don’t think I’ve ever requested specific buttons on any garment. I let them just do their thing.
Italians (from my experience) have a penchant for shiny buttons. Qemal chose some shiny, mid to dark brown buttons with a fine lip. I suggested matte, dark brown, thick buttons with a fat lip. My wife agreed with Qemal so that was that.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italians (from my experience) have a penchant for shiny buttons. Qemal chose some shiny, mid to dark brown buttons with a fine lip. I suggested matte, dark brown, thick buttons with a fat lip. My wife agreed with Qemal so that was that.
Oh I would’ve done a matte brown. I’m curious what my Milanese tailor will pick.

What did Despos prefer? Have you ever tried an English tailor? I think they prefer matte. Now I’m curious to check the buttons on my existing suits

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@brax
I’ll change the buttons for you when no one’s looking. You can plead you were innocent.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh I would’ve done a matte brown. I’m curious what my Milanese tailor will pick.

What did Despos prefer? Have you ever tried an English tailor? I think they prefer matte. Now I’m curious to check the buttons on my existing suits
Think he prefers matte but will do what the client prefers if it aligns with his opinion.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife knows me (and you) better than that. We’d both be in the doghouse.
Lesson learned from brax: don’t bring female companions around to fittings. She should trust our judgment. Don’t give her a vote on this.

Obviously, if you’re not sure, it’s a viable resource. But, if you want unpolished horn, make the decision and she’ll never think twice.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally prefer matte buttons too, but think you can live with the choice, pehaps polished buttons suit cashmere even better.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgina J. Robb