• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
on the topic of Shanghai, any recommendation of "menswear" type of thing to check out..., might got a day there

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kept things pretty simple by just basically telling them to make me a suit in the house style (with the exception that I’m getting a 1 button jacket).
That’s not their house style. I’d usually wait until the second order before making those kind of modifications.

I have a mohair suit in the works with Qemal. I think one more fitting and it will be ready.

You mainly use kotaro too, right? There are smaller differences between the liverano cut and corcos. But they’re very similar:

not enough to justify working with someone new. Unfortunately, I don’t have unlimited money for that (and if I did, I’d probably just put it toward existing relationships).

Differences: (from the liverano side)
-liverano is cut fuller in the chest / body (although i doubt it’s noticeable without seeing them side by side),
-button stance higher,
-lapel less concaved,
-quarters more closed
-shoulder more sloped

Also. The cut difference could be because of the fabric: the liverano jacket is made with a heavier LL tweed.

ddohnggo

Reaction score
was hoping that B&T and Assisi would travel to more cities in China. I think Luca Museo is the only Korean tailor who holds trunk shows in HK with Coller. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your commission from B&T.
i don't think assisi has the capacity to do more cities in china, unfortunately. speaking of assisi, i'm commissioning a double breasted peak lapel coat in a moss green loro piana fabric. really looking forward to it and highly recommend their work.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I would not have thought use that fabric for suit either, not a question of bold or not for me, just not use to gunclub as suit I suppose
Yep, I would assume it was designed with sportcoats in mind, but it was such an interesting brown, a muted overall look, and a quite “suity” fabric, so I figured I’d have some giggles. I expect to be denied admission at the finest clubs and eateries.

Nero1626

Reaction score
on the topic of Shanghai, any recommendation of "menswear" type of thing to check out..., might got a day there
well, I would list some shops but I haven't been to any of them in person but have heard of them from friends.

1: INDUSTRIAL No.741-1, JU LU ROAD, JING AN DIST, SHANGHAI, CHINA
2: MANDOMBUGS Room216-217, Building 1, High Street Loft, No508 JiaShan Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China (I used them for Coherence stuff)
3:SARTORIAL Shanghai (They carry a lot of brands, I feel like they are the mainland version of The Armoury)
4: ROILUXE High-end shoe store carrying G&G, Edward Green, George Cleverley, Stefano Bemer, Norman, etc.
5: The Refinery's interesting jackets
6: Rainier & Co. I think they do English-style bespoke suit
7: The Rare Bespoke
8:Medallion Shoes carry a lot of high-end shoes but they carry Acme shoes (Chinese Handwelted shoes. )

Yeah, I can only think on top of my head for this list. Hope you will check out some of the places.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you are not only in the majority, but also more likely “correct” than me.

This would be my suggestion for a suit fabric that’s similar.

WhereNext

Reaction score
That’s not their house style. I’d usually wait until the second order before making those kind of modifications.
I mean, I guess that’s true, but the net result of my request is “don’t sew 2 buttons and buttonholes that will never be used anyway”. Shoulders, proportions, lapels, fronts, gorge, all aspects of the trousers, etc. are all still done as they normally do them. Mayyyyybe we’ll lower the buttoning point by 1-2 cm as a result, but again, to me that’s not messing with a house style or a significant “modification”. But, as always, to each their own! I like a 1 button front so I ask; if a tailor ever said no, I’d respect that.

WhereNext

Reaction score

This would be my suggestion for a suit fabric that’s similar.
Yep, looked at that one, but didn’t like it as much. Definitely a more definitive “suiting” pattern, though. Also wanted to try Golden Fox, since I’m getting something else in Fox Air.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, looked at that one, but didn’t like it as much. Definitely a more definitive “suiting” pattern, though. Also wanted to try Golden Fox, since I’m getting something else in Fox Air.
People have definitely used fabrics with larger, louder patterns so I think it will be fine.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People have definitely used fabrics with larger, louder patterns so I think it will be fine.

I like to experiment myself, but not without a reason there are codified rules in classic menswear. As you stated, that cloth calls for a sport coat.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Oh, I’m not worried about it appearing outlandish/loud, at all (outlandish isn’t the vibe I normally go for, with some exceptions). I have “interview” suits sorted; everything else I get because I like it (I’m not required by my work to be in a suit), so I like to “explore the space” a little bit sometimes.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I like to experiment myself, but not without a reason there are codified rules in classic menswear. As you stated, that cloth calls for a sport coat.
At the risk of admitting that I broke a “codified rule” of clothing (do I get a phone call? Will a lawyer be appointed for me? I spent all my money on this suit so I cannot afford my own!), I did provide “a reason”: I liked the cloth and wanted a suit in it.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of admitting that I broke a “codified rule” of clothing (do I get a phone call? Will a lawyer be appointed for me? I spent all my money on this suit so I cannot afford my own!), I did provide “a reason”: I liked the cloth and wanted a suit in it.
You got it all handled & in control.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads