• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Kicked over to Napoli for a forward fitting of the LP seersucker.

Made some tweaks to the standard Pastena silhouette -- lowered the gorge and chest pocket, extended the shoulder and minimized padding, increased the length and swept the skirt a bit. Antonio is also nipping the waist slightly and giving me a tad more breathing room through the shoulders and chest, but I'm digging the progress.

The LP seersucker is also an absurd cloth. Feels like I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

LP.jpg

Marshak

Reaction score
Kicked over to Napoli for a forward fitting of the LP seersucker.

Made some tweaks to the standard Pastena silhouette -- lowered the gorge and chest pocket, extended the shoulder and minimized padding, increased the length and swept the skirt a bit. Antonio is also nipping the waist slightly and giving me a tad more breathing room through the shoulders and chest, but I'm digging the progress.

The LP seersucker is also an absurd cloth. Feels like I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

View attachment 2001183
Looks good!

CLH03

Reaction score
What would you all consider to be a good alternate hopsack blazer color to navy? Have a navy one that I absolutely love, and want to get something similar that sort of works with everything (within reason, of course.) Grey? Brown?

symphvaria

Reaction score
What would you all consider to be a good alternate hopsack blazer color to navy? Have a navy one that I absolutely love, and want to get something similar that sort of works with everything (within reason, of course.) Grey? Brown?
Gray blazers look like orphaned suit jackets, in my experience. On the other hand, I really love the look of chocolate brown for a less austere and grave looking suit/jacket that’s still appropriate for evening hours.

xizenta

Reaction score
How are people feeling about tuxedo trousers without an outseam stripe these days?

I ordered a pair from my tailor to wear with some of my cream dinner jackets and received them with no satin stripe. They do have a satin waistband. I did not specify that I wanted a stripe. Kind of wondering whether any tailor could reasonably assume that tuxedo trousers would be preferred without an outseam stripe. I have seen that trend on some fast-fashion tuxes and dislike it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maroon, dark green.

gimpwiz

Reaction score

Gray blazers look like orphaned suit jackets, in my experience. On the other hand, I really love the look of chocolate brown for a less austere and grave looking suit/jacket that’s still appropriate for evening hours.

Navy is the obvious color for the blazer, but not the only one. Other solid-color no-pattern jackets I like are: ivory, sand, some olives, some ochres and mustards, and yeah some browns. That pink sport coat thread we have here has shown a number of hopsacks in various pinks and pink-adjacents, like coral, that can look pretty great.

Also, hopsack can be ... more, or less, obvious. The more obvious it is, the more texture it has, the easier it is to use for a solid-color blazer. Subtle is harder, because the closer it is to a smooth wool, the more it looks like a suit jacket. If that makes sense. Same with linen, some things work just fine in linen but can be odd in a smooth worsted wool.

CLH03

Reaction score
Navy is the obvious color for the blazer, but not the only one. Other solid-color no-pattern jackets I like are: ivory, sand, some olives, some ochres and mustards, and yeah some browns. That pink sport coat thread we have here has shown a number of hopsacks in various pinks and pink-adjacents, like coral, that can look pretty great.

Also, hopsack can be ... more, or less, obvious. The more obvious it is, the more texture it has, the easier it is to use for a solid-color blazer. Subtle is harder, because the closer it is to a smooth wool, the more it looks like a suit jacket. If that makes sense. Same with linen, some things work just fine in linen but can be odd in a smooth worsted wool.
Yup, makes sense. If it was logical to just own 5 blazers, I would, however, I’m not a very minimalistic person, and I like to switch things up. I’ve got my eye on a couple of different colors, so I’ll go through the rest of my closet and see what works best.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Green or brown

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are people feeling about tuxedo trousers without an outseam stripe these days?

I ordered a pair from my tailor to wear with some of my cream dinner jackets and received them with no satin stripe. They do have a satin waistband. I did not specify that I wanted a stripe. Kind of wondering whether any tailor could reasonably assume that tuxedo trousers would be preferred without an outseam stripe. I have seen that trend on some fast-fashion tuxes and dislike it.
I think it is "appropriate" if you are wearing it as an odd trouser with a dinner jacket. Not as part of a dinner suit. Good thing tacking on a silk stripe/braid is not that difficult. Your tailor should be able to do it.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Cloth Thread:

Has anyone had any items made up in Harrison's Sea Shell? If so, what are your thoughts on it wears/has held up?

Thinking of using it for some summer trousers with I Sarti on their next set of trunk shows. I particularly like the marled effect that occurs in the greys...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always felt most plain grey linens are weird.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I agree, I didn't include it in my solid-color list ;) I love linen in ivory, sand, and it's not bad as tan, but I'm not really into it for any sort of dove, light gray, mid gray ... dark gray ... solids. It never feels right to me for some reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads