• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

krudsma

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question, when in the tailoring process is the pick stitching added? I have a bespoke SB NL business suit in a lovely dark navy that should soon be finished and i just realized that i have not had the descussion regarding pick stitching. I think i would like to have that on the lapels at least but i wonder if its to late? Is it something that is usually added at the very end of the process and could therefor be requested at the next fitting? The next fitting should be the final garment and just nail down the final minor details.
Is it to late?
I'd assume they'll do it by default - pick stitching serves a practical purpose which is to keep the edges of the lapel (and the quarters, and a few other places) fixed. Those edges have to be finished somehow and usually it's by pick stitching. Look at some pictures of your tailor's work - if there's pick stitching present then it probably will be on your jacket as well.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
I'd assume they'll do it by default - pick stitching serves a practical purpose which is to keep the edges of the lapel (and the quarters, and a few other places) fixed. Those edges have to be finished somehow and usually it's by pick stitching. Look at some pictures of your tailor's work - if there's pick stitching present then it probably will be on your jacket as well.
Thank you! I have a tux from the same maker which does not have pick stitching on the lapels (for obvious reasons) but it didnt cross my mind that i could check the quarters as well! Will take a look at mine first and then check pictures of other garments from the maker.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
Im thinking about some future comissions and would like some suggestions/input on fabrics.
1. Double breasted flannel PL charcoal pin/chalk stripe, any suggestions for a nice chalk stripe flannels?
2. Single breasted NL/PL loro piana wool seersucker blue/blue, does anyone have experience with this fabric?
3. Single breasted NL mid grey PoW (preferably with light blue overcheck), any suggestions of books/Mills to look at?

Thanks in advance!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about some future comissions and would like some suggestions/input on fabrics.
1. Double breasted flannel PL charcoal pin/chalk stripe, any suggestions for a nice chalk stripe flannels?
2. Single breasted NL/PL loro piana wool seersucker blue/blue, does anyone have experience with this fabric?
3. Single breasted NL mid grey PoW (preferably with light blue overcheck), any suggestions of books/Mills to look at?

Thanks in advance!
The LP seersucker I think @Andy57 and @R.O. Thornhill both have it and like it. I take delivery of mine next week when my tailor is in town so can’t comment on how it wears yet.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
The LP seersucker I think @Andy57 and @R.O. Thornhill both have it and like it. I take delivery of mine next week when my tailor is in town so can’t comment on how it wears yet.
Thank you! Please share your insights once you receive yours. I want to remember that my tailor said it was relatively well priced, which for me is nice for something that's a pure warm weather suit.

Iuppiter

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
Speaking of the LP wool/silk seersucker, I'm visiting my tailor tomorrow to compare summer blazer fabrics including the LP seersucker from the mare bunch and the Drapers wool seersucker from the montecarlo book. LP's is 6.7oz and 90% wool 10% silk whereas the Drapers one is 9.5oz and 100% wool. Will be posting photos and impressions in the cloth thread.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
Speaking of the LP wool/silk seersucker, I'm visiting my tailor tomorrow to compare summer blazer fabrics including the LP seersucker from the mare bunch and the Drapers wool seersucker from the montecarlo book. LP's is 6.7oz and 90% wool 10% silk whereas the Drapers one is 9.5oz and 100% wool. Will be posting photos and impressions in the cloth thread.
Interesting, the drapers might be an alternative. I live in sweden so there aren't that many days a year that calls for a super light weight suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads