• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh follow up thought, the guys at the armoury probably aren’t far off from your build. I’m thinking Marc & Alan. They’re not the largest gentlemen. Alan is a little taller, i think but as far as mass / size (shoulder, chest, waist etc) they’re not large.

I think a Napoli double breasted jacket would look fine on that build. It’s the bigger guys where a db can get tricky.

ChuckX

Reaction score
Dm him on instagram. He might have some insights. Where do you live? Do you plan to be a one and done? Or order more in the future?

do you need a tailor that travels to you as well?

thank you. makes sense. On the rare occasion, there will be a tailor that doesn’t charge extra for a tuxedo. Those are great. Satoki San (RIP) didn’t charge extra for a tuxedo - I had my fabric with him before he had to close his sartoria in Milan
Will do. I live in Chicago and travel to Italy for pleasure pretty frequently lately. Definitely looking for a long-term relationship with a tailor. Did a little research here and came up with Tofani! What do you think?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do. I live in Chicago and travel to Italy for pleasure pretty frequently lately. Definitely looking for a long-term relationship with a tailor. Did a little research here and came up with Tofani! What do you think?
Tofani isn’t for me, personally. But if you like his style, go for it. Do you speak Italian?

If you’re going to Italy frequently, Ciardi might be an option. There are others and Zizolfi or Pirozzi if you want the option to see them in New York.

if you’re going back, why not try multiple? And see what you like. In Naples, I think it’s better to order more than one on the first order so they know you’re not a one and done.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tofani isn’t for me, personally. But if you like his style, go for it. Do you speak Italian?

If you’re going to Italy frequently, Ciardi might be an option. There are others and Zizolfi or Pirozzi if you want the option to see them in New York.

if you’re going back, why not try multiple? And see what you like. In Naples, I think it’s better to order more than one on the first order so they know you’re not a one and done.
I just gave you a start. There are so many other good tailors in Napoli, but it’d take time to find them, so I gave you a few bigger names. I’ll throw maestro Antonio Panico in there too.

i think I’d prefer Florence for you on a sb jacket & Napoli db.

jimney

Reaction score
I've got an appointment with Edward Sexton next week when they visit Chicago, and I'm planning to get a suit. I think I'm going to make the leap to pants with suspenders/braces instead of a belt, since I'm at the point in life where I have some extra padding at the stomach and I'm thinking braces may be more comfortable for the higher waist that I prefer.

Anyone else gone through this and have any advice I should keep in mind?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an appointment with Edward Sexton next week when they visit Chicago, and I'm planning to get a suit. I think I'm going to make the leap to pants with suspenders/braces instead of a belt, since I'm at the point in life where I have some extra padding at the stomach and I'm thinking braces may be more comfortable for the higher waist that I prefer.

Anyone else gone through this and have any advice I should keep in mind?
I made the change a few years ago. You'll never go back to belts or side adjusters since braces are much more comfortable. You'll probably want to have pleats done with braces instead of flat front.

L.deJong

Reaction score
I made the change a few years ago. You'll never go back to belts or side adjusters since braces are much more comfortable. You'll probably want to have pleats done with braces instead of flat front.
True, but I went back to belts for casual trousers that I also wear without jackets.
I had a couple of moleskin trousers made, high-waisted for suspenders and I do not wear those as much because I do not like to wear suspenders uncovered.
Feels like I'm showing off, same with casual suits, I now have commissioned a linen suit, and that will be high-rise with side-adjusters. So I can also wear the trousers as separates.
But yes with a wool suit or wool trousers intended for wear with jackets I always opt for braces/suspenders.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Without jacket a proper fishtail/pleat/suspender to me always seems too much, so if you’re not the put the jacket on the back of your seat type then go for it

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I installed suspender button (or they all came with it) on nearly all my suit (which is 99% with side tab/side adjuster), but most of them are not cut for suspender proper so kind just cosmetic ish for me at this point

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but I went back to belts for casual trousers that I also wear without jackets.
I had a couple of moleskin trousers made, high-waisted for suspenders and I do not wear those as much because I do not like to wear suspenders uncovered.
Feels like I'm showing off, same with casual suits, I now have commissioned a linen suit, and that will be high-rise with side-adjusters. So I can also wear the trousers as separates.
But yes with a wool suit or wool trousers intended for wear with jackets I always opt for braces/suspenders.

Without jacket a proper fishtail/pleat/suspender to me always seems too much, so if you’re not the put the jacket on the back of your seat type then go for it
Curious why y'all feel this way. Just because suspenders are (outside of SF land lol) pretty rare out in the normal people world?

If so, I agree, buttttt I've also never once had a person with anything other than positive reaction to them.

FWIW, I'm a jacket off type for much of the day once I hit the office.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose just atypical (and obvious without jacket) so more self conscious?

Also I'm the one to wake up my daughter/make breakfast/get her to school bus, so one less thing to do is one less thing to do (plus have to fight a cat who want to rub my pant while shedding hair at the same time)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialoney